Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: January 31, 2020 12:11PM

There has been much discussion recently about changes in Mormonism.
I believe that the following is the basis upon which these are predicated.
One of the great escape hatches in the religion is their 9th article of faith

9-We believe all that God has revealed, all that he does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.

Any changes that occur can be attributed by the heirarchy to ongoing revelation.(he does now reveal)

So----- IF the current leader is accepted as a prophet
And---- IF he claims something by revelation, persperation, modulation, or otherwise
then---- The group will attach this proclomation to the 9th article of faith and therefore validate it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2020 12:14PM by thedesertrat1.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 31, 2020 12:45PM

god keeps revealing to me that I need lots of wives.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 31, 2020 12:48PM

Dave: you're behind me in that queue...

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: January 31, 2020 03:46PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> god keeps revealing to me that I need lots of
> wives.
Me too where is the queue?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2020 03:48PM by thedesertrat1.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: January 31, 2020 02:00PM

Interesting how many 'revelations' contradict the words of past prophets and occur at a time of societal pressure.
~ Abandoning polygamy
~ Changing racist doctrine (sort of - it's still in their scripture)
~ Changing unchangeable temple stuff.
~ Admitting to little flecks of history - sort of.
~ Refusing ordinances to children of gay parents - it was a policy, then a revelation, then modified as a policy maybe.

And the beat goes on.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 31, 2020 03:05PM

Church is not true, it's a fraud.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 02, 2020 05:10AM

New temple ceremony to include putting one's left foot in, followed by the removal of said foot, and ending with the left foot again in whilst shaken all about.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2020 05:11AM by donbagley.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 02, 2020 01:38PM

But what if the hokey pokey IS what it's all about ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2020 01:38PM by Dave the Atheist.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: February 02, 2020 08:55AM

If we use the 9th article of faith to explain new revelations instead of holding church leaders responsible for their bad past decisions, then we have to make negative assumptions about god to justify the bad actions of church leaders that based their actions on revelation. Is god mean and cruel, or just ignorant? Was god himself a racist up until 1978, or did he simply not know any better when it comes to his not treating the black race with equality nor even being being willing to tell mormon church leaders to do the same until 1978? The mormon god is typically fifty years behind the social evolution of modern society. How could an all-powerful god be so ignorant or cruel? Revelation from god should be ahead of its time, not trailing society by fifty years or more. The 9th article of faith won't apply until the prophet makes a proclamation fifty years in advance of society fully recognizing its God-like wisdom. As things are now, the mormon church can't abandon it's troubled policies of the past fast enough to appease society's expectations. And looking back, it was always society's expectations that were correct, not mormon church policies. Worse yet, the church actually capitulates eventually, thus either disobeying god's original expectations or else, dragging a reluctant god behind them. When it comes to the "all that he does now reveal", the mormon god is usually wrong in retrospect and usually admits such by eventually going along with society's expectations... after the damage of his former revelations to church leaders has caused a lot of harm to many individuals and their society. It's easier to believe that the mormon church does not receive or act on any revelation, than to blame god for being ignorant or cruel.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 02, 2020 04:32PM

for Example, Honesty & Kindness...

just sayin'

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.