Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Warrior71783 ( )
Date: January 31, 2020 05:57PM

I trust your judgement in books caffiend. I am sure it will be a good one.

Adam
Out

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: February 01, 2020 04:05AM

I haven't checked out the latest edition. My first edition (which Walter Martin signed when I briefly met him) includes cults which were rather notorious in the 1960s and 1970s, but are either defunct or much changed. I'll have to check out the current edition to see what's included and how they're treated.

Walter Martin died in 1989. I just checked and noticed the book is in its 6th edition.

Enjoy!

Date: February 01, 2020 05:14PM

I don't know which edition i ordered i'll have to look again but it was very cheap. Even though i have had my problems with banks lately i had to open another checking account for SSDI to go through for february so i ordered the book with the new debit card but it was cheap. I just have to learn better money managing skills and budgeting skills and i have a friend helping me with that.

Does the book cover the mormon operation at all?

Date: February 01, 2020 05:17PM

Just says 'completely revised and updated' on the order not which edition. Hopefully it has all the material of the original.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: February 01, 2020 07:23PM

Kingdom of the cults, didn't that have something to do with the GodMakers film? The name sounds familiar. I'll have to google that one...

Date: February 01, 2020 08:00PM

For one thing (unless it's been revised), Godmakers is pre-1992 temple revision. More to the point, it's a very crude, over-the-top indictment of LDS, emphasizing the doctrine of eternal progression, with extravagant demonic imagery. But it's been decades since the one time I watched it.

"Kingdom of the Cults" is a layman's overview of various divergent and controversial religious groups. I read it in the early 1980s, and it was a formative spiritual text for me. Regarding LDS, Walter Martin took a lot of the Tanner (and other) research, and repackaged it for a mostly Protestant market. As I stated elsewhere, Christians knew there was something seriously wrong about LDS, but not exactly why. Martin fixed that.

It is an expressly Christian book. I'll have to find a current copy and see what's new. Then do a "Return and Report."

Date: February 01, 2020 11:50PM

I do like to read different perspectives of the lds operation. I am happy that its in the book. I was kept in the dark about a lot of things growing up obviously. Was never told the heavy stuff or real events. I never really knew the religion really. Mormonism is confusing as hell on purpose.

Date: February 02, 2020 01:42AM

There's a lot on line, and a lot you can order, some free They send out a newsletter occasionally, about 20 pages of serious reading. It is a Christian enterprise, but they also have strictly secular offerings.

If you read the chapter on Christian Science, you'll have a better idea of what made me the way I am. CS is becoming, I'm happy to report, a small sect of very little consequence.

If you have reason to go to Salt Lake, the're in a house close to the UU stadium.

utlm.org

Date: February 03, 2020 07:35PM

Putting all cults and/or religions aside, do you think christ existed? And if so, is he or was he the real deal in your view and in your personal studies?

I know this is a personal question. I am not really asking if you believe he existed but have you studied enough to think he really existed in your personal studies. Having grown up in abuse and corrupt surroundings i had always hoped there was a great man out there somewhere that had some morallity and sanity that actually gave a damn about the poor and the broken. A man that actually fought for guys like me but for real. Perhaps i was only dreaming of a man that was better than the leaders of religion. Perhaps i just need to stay in reality world and be my own man without any 'savior' figure.

Date: February 03, 2020 07:40PM

Or is jesus just the santa clause for adults basically?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.