Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: February 09, 2020 12:53PM

https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2020-02-05/romney-utah-trump-impeachment

"SALT LAKE CITY — Utahans reacted to Sen. Mitt Romney’s decision to break Republican ranks with a mixture of pride and dismay Wednesday, with some in this majority-Mormon state even suggesting that his vote to remove President Trump from office recalled a prophecy attributed to the church founder Joseph Smith.
Although generally debunked as apocryphal by modern historians, the so-called White Horse Prophecy dates to 1844 when Smith himself was a candidate for president of the United States. The Mormons — members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints — have long regarded the U.S. Constitution as a divinely inspired document.

According to the legend, Smith predicted that someday the Constitution would be in extreme danger — hanging “like a thread as fine as silk fiber”— and that a member of the church would ride in on a white horse to save it.

“I think Mitt Romney is under the impression that he is going to be the white horse Republican who will save the country,” said Salt Lake City historian Will Bagley, a frequent critic of the church and its leaders. “Whether or not that would happen is a different matter, but I think if it came down to picking between Mitt Romney and Mike Pence, most people would go with Romney.”

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: February 09, 2020 01:34PM

One thing I've noticed about prophecy types I've noticed:

Like with patriarchal blessings, people look for situations that fulfill the prediction. Depending on how they interpret, they can make almost anything fit. Words like "thread" or "white horse" of course are vague and many situations could be seen as endangering the Constitution.

Mormons, as we know, tend to make everything about them and take credit for everything. They are experts when it comes to crediting their religion's importance over anything going on in the world. In this case, I'm happy to let them think their Mormon-style Nostradamus prediction was fulfilled.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: February 09, 2020 02:16PM

Given the high cost of being Mormon, they are entitled to the occasional cheap thrill.

Posted by: glassrose ( )
Date: February 10, 2020 01:27PM

^ THIS! LOL!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2020 01:30PM by glassrose.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: February 10, 2020 04:15PM

Looking at his face closely ---- really reminds me of a 'horse' or 'ass' ---- one of the two!

Posted by: Ted ( )
Date: February 10, 2020 04:45PM

..and he's white, so yeah, I think he is the fulfillment of the white horse prophecy.

Ol' Joe got one right finally. My God..how would he know that a man with a white horses/ass face would be in the senate some day and would save our country from ruin. How? I am quickly rethinking the whole BOM story, etc. tick tick tick...ok that took 2 seconds. Nopers, I still think mormonism is pure white horse ****. Even a broken clock will be right twice per day, but I have to admit that the constitution was hanging by the thread of Pelosi's bra strap and am grateful that he was able to swoop and save us all. Well done sir.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: February 10, 2020 08:09PM

Romney has made too many personal mistakes in his life for any honest tbm mormon (who's done some research) to really take him seriously. He's what we call a vulture capitalist, a traitor to our nation. Not by his vote to impeach but by what he did when he was a business man.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: February 10, 2020 10:34PM

Mitt was Gordon Geckko. Bain Capital took no prisoners. They bought failing companies and liquidated the assets and raided the pension funds.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: February 10, 2020 10:54PM

I had another thought about his situation.

I wonder how the other Senator, Mike Lee is doing. If Mitt was right to stand up to what was wrong, doesn't that mean Lee didn't?

Since they are both Mormon, I'm guessing this will make Mormons say, "See? We don't get into politics or tell people how to vote!" Yet, if they say that how Mitt voted fulfilled the white horsepucky prophesy, wouldn't that means they DO get involved in politics? I guess they want it both ways.

My guess is that Romney has more Mormon clout and admiration from rank and file Mormons than Lee, but who knows. Mormons pro or against Trump have a Senator they can support.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: February 11, 2020 04:05AM

This prophesy is bogus. Romney might drive up in a white mercedes. Didn't the prophet foresee the invention of cars? I'm waiting for Mitt to show up at his next public appearance in a white car, or wearing a white suit.

--I have a burning question: Do you people think that the Big 15 advised Romney to vote to impeach Trump?

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: February 11, 2020 11:14AM

Brothers Crapo and Lee got different inspiration from HG, as did the Republican Mormons in the House. How is that?

Now Romney is probably drawing on a truth, justice and the American way type of Mormon thought that prevailed in his youth. Now that had its clear drawbacks and limitations, but it's less cynical than much of what we see now.

Posted by: ontheDownLow ( )
Date: February 11, 2020 10:53PM

Oh look! Another subject entitled Mitt Romney. Three of them posted so far. I posted one the minute he announced he would vote to impeach and I got my thread taken down. WTF?

Posted by: logged out again ( )
Date: February 12, 2020 12:03AM

RfM is perfect, the people aren't.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.