Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: February 10, 2020 10:35PM

Hi, Exmo family! I haven't been around for a while as DH and I have both been ill. I am well on the way to recovery. He is not.

I had been in another part of the house on Saturday and thought I heard him calling to me. When I went to his room, I found him sprawled on the floor, face down, unable to get up. He was too weak even to get to his hands and knees.

I wanted to call 911; he was totally against it. I called Daughter the Younger, who spent quite a bit in time in nursing school but decided it wasn't for her. But she knows a lot about it. She came over, and we still couldn't get him off the floor. A strong young neighbor guy joined us and even with his help, we couldn't get him off the floor.

DH finally relented around 11:00 p.m. (2300) and we called 911. He was hospitalized that night and still remains there.

He still has some kind of bug and was running a fever of 102 or so this morning. The bed he is in has an alarm built into it so that if he even tries to get up by himself, all Hell will break loose. Whoever heard of a bed alarm??

I suspect that some kind of renal ailment is mixed in with his diabetes. (Only because I have been living with renal illness most of my life, I know what to look for.) What I did not know is that renal failure and diabetes often go hand-in-hand.

Daughter has been keeping in touch, back and forth from the hospital. She doesn't want me there because I have shoulder surgery coming up on the 27th and can't afford to get sick. (Despite innumerable tests, they still have no clue about the fever.) We agree that unless I have the shoulder fixed and get back up to snuff as quickly as possible, caring for DH at home will not be possible.

Daughter will be moving back in with us (thank Heaven) as I cannot manage his care without help, at least until my shoulder is better. (He is a hefty guy; he outweighs me by nearly 100 pounds. That's why we couldn't lift him.)

He won't be home for a couple of days more, at least, so the cats and I are cuddling each other a lot. The younger cat, especially, misses her "Daddy."

So, please, guys, keep our little family in positive thoughts and intentions. I think I have made it clear before that your support means the world to me. This situation is scary.

Thank you, every one.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: February 10, 2020 10:43PM

You've got it catnip. All good and positive thoughts heading your way, for you, your husband and your daughter.

You sound remarkably calm.

Haven't you had a lot to cope with lately? What great news that your daughter will move in to help you with her dad. She can also help you, perhaps, if she's still there when your surgery comes up. It will make a big difference to you and your husband. Then you won't have to worry about each other - your daughter can look after you both! That's really lovely and you deserve it.

It must be hard not to go to the hospital to be with your husband but you are wise to avoid it. Especially if they haven't made a diagnosis yet. And, in any case, to avoid any other germs lurking about the place.

Please give us updates. Thinking of you all. Hoping for the best.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: February 10, 2020 10:44PM

Oh dear!

I wish it were not such a big deal and expense to call 911. I'm sure he was hoping he would feel better in a while.

I'm so sorry you both have been ill. I'm glad he is the hospital getting care. Best thoughts and hopes for him to recover soon.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 10, 2020 10:49PM

you both deserve some Good Karma :)

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 10, 2020 10:49PM

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: February 10, 2020 10:51PM

Everything must feel totally overwhelming to you, and I am so sorry, catnip.

I'm glad things are semi-sorting out (your husband did get to the hospital, which is good), and I hope things work out the way you and he want them to on the issues.

To your husband, and you, and to everyone in your family:

Sending you positive thoughts and multi-colored good energies.

Thanks for letting us know.

You, and everyone you love, are important to everyone here.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: February 10, 2020 10:54PM

Wishing you & yours the best, the very best!

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: February 10, 2020 10:55PM

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: February 11, 2020 01:31AM

Hugs and puppy kisses from my house. You are right to stay away from the hospital no matter how hard it is. You must get yourself well so you can help. I am so happy to hear your daughter is moving in. She will be a lot of help and can do the running around. You sit tight and take care of yourself!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 11, 2020 07:32AM

I hope they figure out soon what is causing his problems right now. Another shoulder surgery for you? Oh my.

Please keep us posted.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 11, 2020 06:40PM

I'm glad that your daughter will be on hand to look after you both. Best wishes for renewed health.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 11, 2020 06:57PM

"May the Bird of Paradise lay a golden egg in your nest of Love."

I hope for the best.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: February 11, 2020 11:58PM

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: February 12, 2020 12:25AM

Best get-well wishes, catnip.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 12, 2020 09:16AM

I'm sending well wishes and good thoughts.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: February 12, 2020 10:05AM

Sending positive vibes!

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: February 12, 2020 10:08AM

Sending you both positive thoughts from across the Atlantic!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 12, 2020 09:58PM

How's he doing, catnip? Any improvement?

Date: February 13, 2020 11:05PM

He is still pretty weak and tottery. And as hard as it is to admit this, he seems to have cognitive lapses from time to time. The guy who was razor-sharp in two languages isn't quite there, just yet. His mother died of vascular dementia, so this is a concern.

His diabetes seems under good control, which is a positive thing. The negative part is that everyone assumes that I (without any training whatsoever) can give him the two nightly injections he needs.My grandmother, mother, and daughter have all been nurses. Me, I'm a linguist by professions. Keep the damned needles away from me.

Younger daughter has helped a lot, but she has gone home for a well-deserved rest. They all assure me that giving this type of injection (there are two of them, both sub-cutaneous) is easy.

So is conjugating a regular verb in Spanish. But then, I have lots of experience with the latter.

There won't even be anyone to supervise my maiden effort. It's in about 20 minutes. I'm amazingly calm and not shaking, and much to my own amazement, I find myself thinking, "You got this." Where the hell is THAT coming from? I've never done such a thing in my life! I never wanted to be a nurse. NEVER.

I even mangled the frog I had to dissect in Biology 101.

And now, it looks like I am supposed to slip into the role of injection-giver. I never applied. I don't want it. I feel like running away, but it's too cold out there.

From some inner reserve I didn't know I had, I'm much calmer than I would have imagined.

I will report later, unless the kids have had me tarred and feathered. . .

Date: February 13, 2020 11:45PM

DH said I was a lot gentler than the nurses in the hospital. My hands didn't shake. I felt very calm and businesslike about the whole thing.

It's over. At least, for today. And his blood sugars look a lot better than they have in ages.

Thank you guys so much, for your support. It means more than you can know.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 14, 2020 03:06AM

Excellent news, catnip.

I have an older relative who has diabetes and injects herself. I'd imagine your husband should be able to do that himself? In either case it shouldn't be a formidable challenge.

Your husband is lucky to have you, as are we.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 14, 2020 05:52AM

I'm glad that it went well, Catnip. My cat has diabetes and I never thought that I could give him his twice daily insulin shots. But it was easy right from the start. I am queasy about getting injections myself, but apparently I can jab other creatures with abandon!

I hope that things continue to go well. Perhaps you can interest your husband in doing something mentally stimulating together such as a crossword puzzle. Sometimes my family and I work on puzzles from the Washington Post together.

Date: February 14, 2020 03:47PM

Doing the puzzles is a great suggestion, summer.

I've always been hopeless with crosswords, even on my best day. My brain just doesn't go in that direction.

But anything stimulating, thought-provoking, sounds like the way to go.

Maybe learning yet another language? :)

Date: February 14, 2020 03:46PM

Your sense of humour is intact, catnip. Sometimes that is all that can get you through. It is to be admired - a show of great strength in the face of ongoing adversity.

My own sense of humour has gone awol lately. I miss it. I'm fed up with everything, especially work. I'm complaining inside my head all day, every day, especially this week. I'm irritating myself but can't seem to stop. But at least so far I can refrain from irritating others IRL by complaining too much. For now I am managing to keep it inside myself (which may turn out not to be too healthy in the long run).

But meanwhile, this is about you. And you made me laugh with your conjugating verbs, etc. Thanks for that!

I was going to say yikes, I hope they gave you a lesson before expecting you to start doing injections. But I see I'm too late to comment before you had to go ahead - and you've already managed to overcome your understandable reluctance. It seems that every man (and woman) and their dogs now self-inject, and are expected to do it as easily as brushing their teeth. Sometimes, it's not so much.

Hopefully, you've had instruction and supervision for at least one time (although it doesn't really sound like it). I know you likely know this but the OCD nursey part of me can't help but say:

1. It's imperative to cleanse the area thoroughly before injecting (by using alcohol swabs) (sometimes I have found myself cleansing an area but then inserting the needle outside the swabbed bit - yow). Also, sometimes the crazy little swabs are fairly or totally dry, in which case, of course, they don't do their job. If it doesn't feel wet to you, use another one.

2. It's recommended to change locations, avoiding injecting the same bits too often or too close together in time.

3. Of course, you want to always double-check the dosage you're administering. In my nursing training we were conditioned to always check the label on any type of medication (especially injectables) every time. I still can't break that habit, but it's a good one, even if it's a bottle of pills or a vial of med that you use every day. Innumerable medication errors occur and many can be quite unfortunate. (I used to give my mom simple eye drops a few times each day for months but still, I cast an eye over the label every time, even though I was holding the familiar bottle so often - somehow, mistakes are so easy to make).

4. I assume someone somewhere must surely have shown you the mechanics but still I will say: Be sure to pinch up a little bit of skin prior to injection to make sure you are giving the insulin subcutaneously (i.e. not too deep). And watch your aim - no sense jabbing your own fingers!

5. Goes without saying: Don't re-use needles.

6. Perhaps when he's less wobbly, hubby can take over and do his own injections. Then you can stop being the nurse and go back to linguistics!

6. Feel good about how brave and helpful you are being. (Somehow people don't think of this when they vow "for better or worse" but it's what you are sometimes called on to do in the give-and-take, rough-and-tumble of marriage).

As always, it's good to read your updates. Best of luck!

PS: Re the cognitive state: This could simply be a combination of the prolonged illness, time in hospital (can be quite disorienting), and the diabetes not being ideally controlled (it can get out of whack quickly during illness). You may notice significant improvement once the medication is taking effect and hubby's meal and sleep schedule are back to a good routine.

Date: February 16, 2020 12:44AM

My mother was an RN, so I am thoroughly familiar with the old-fashioned "Draw X cc's into the syringe" way of doing things. Never did it myself, but know how.

The diabetes "pens" are different. They are pre-filled, and you dial in the dosage you are supposed to get. The concept is ridiculously simple. Actually doing it is not.

DH injected himself for years, but in doing so, he created a lot of knotted-up scar tissue that simply cannot take injections any more. Now, other body areas that he cannot reach must be used.

Our daughter, who dropped out of nursing school but nonetheless
is very good at this stuff, had already asked if she could move back in with us while she finishes her Master's in Education. Now, we NEED her here.

Maybe, with practice, I will get better at the injection business.

But the truth of it is, I'd rather conjugate Spanish verbs, all day. Even irregular ones. . .

Love to you all for your support. I've been sitting here, reading all of your encouragement, with tears of thankfulness dripping down my face. You have no idea of grateful I am to you!!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 14, 2020 04:02PM

I was scared to death to do them. I have a horrible fear of needles. I refused to go on insulin for a long time. When my new doctor gave me insulin, she never even showed me how to inject it. I was scared to death. I went to the nurse at the hospital that I'm able to go to and she showed me how. It was simple. If I'm being good and testing several times a day, I can end up doing 4 injections. I just don't care. It is so much easier than I ever thought.

I have 2 siblings with diabetes and they hadn't started insulin. For some reason, we all lived in fear of injecting insulin. Once I started, I was able to tell them how easy it is. They were relieved.

I never ever ever thought I could ever inject myself.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: February 15, 2020 02:28AM

I'm very proud of you catnip :) I would be afraid too. I am glad he is home!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.