Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ontheDownLow ( )
Date: February 11, 2020 11:00PM

On the day when we first learned that Mitt was going to vote to impeach Trump, I posted a thread similar to the three current ones that are in circulation on the board.

What part of the rules am I not following that is being followed by those other 3 posts?

My angle was to drive out conversation of how this action would ultimately impact the church. It wasn't designed to start a political debate. It took only one minute for you all to pull that thread down.

Gee Whiz?!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 12, 2020 12:10AM

The moderators make mistakes sometimes. Other times they think about the issue and change their minds. I have been surprised that they have allowed as much politics as they have, so my guess is that the latter is the case.

I wouldn't take it personally if I were you.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: February 12, 2020 09:08AM

WooHoo! I retired :) The best way to get CZ is to hit REPORT on your post and talk to them in the comment box.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 12, 2020 02:38PM

Is there like a spiritual "report" one can access, a sort of Holy McGhost button?

Posted by: Concrete Zipper ( )
Date: February 12, 2020 03:05PM

I do listen to your thoughts and prayers, EOD.

CZ (omniscient, but only limitedly omnipotent admin)

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: February 12, 2020 03:22PM

Concrete Zipper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> CZ (omniscient, but only limitedly omnipotent
> admin)

I would have thought it was the other way 'round. :)

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: February 12, 2020 10:36AM

Step 1: Stop whining.
Step 2: Roll with it. It's not your board.

How many times are you going to bring this up? Like LW said, maybe there was more leniency later since it became more of a Mormon related story in the news and they changed their mind. Different moderators might be more stringent until they discuss something. Maybe the tone of the discussion or how responses are going impacts their decision or whether it is an unknown or new poster who is not trusted. Being a whiny pest is not going to help win respect from anyone, IMO. They are doing the best they can and shouldn't have to deal with having to explain every darn thing.

Date: February 12, 2020 02:33PM

I'm not whining. The inconsistencies confuse me kind of like my last job. I like clear set expectations. Trying to find a way to color inside the lines.

Posted by: Concrete Zipper ( )
Date: February 12, 2020 02:42PM

Hi otDL,

I would love for there to be complete consistency in how posts are moderated here, but we have different individuals in different time zones doing things and sometimes they don't align as well as we'd like. I'm sorry about that.

Political issues are tricky. In a perfect world we could trust RfM posters to discuss things in a civil manner, however historically it has broken down into partisan bickering. I'm not going to have that on the board.

We've also tried complete bans of political topics, but that doesn't work either because the church is tied into various political institutions. Mitt Romney's presidential campaign also required us to allow some political discussion if that was closely related to Mormonism.

I felt that it was important to have a limited discussion of Romney's senate vote because it was, according to him, intrinsically part of his Mormon mindset and beliefs. However, I didn't want to get people debating impeachment politics.

I did not see your post before it was gone, but I believe this is it:

------------------------------------
Subject: Romney to vote to convict Trump

Do you think this is a move to position Romney for candidacy?

My opinion, yes. Although, I don't think he has a snowball's chance in hell that he would become president. He has too much riding against him both TBM and Ex-mo in addition to the haters of republicans and mormons alike.
------------------------------------

Your post was less about the vote and more about his political aspirations and future. I think the moderator who removed it made the right call.

I apologize that RfM can't be all things to all people, but we need to focus resources on our limited mission.

Thanks,

CZ (admin)

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 12, 2020 03:35PM

Recovery from Mittens.

Date: February 12, 2020 03:44PM

I get it. I should have spun it more like: Mitt's stupid positioning gamble will be the undoing of Utah and the Morg. Any bets on the impact this will have on the Morg?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 12, 2020 03:46PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.