Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Secular Priest ( )
Date: February 15, 2020 10:42AM

A tbm friend was telling me yesterday that too church officials are starting to use other versions of the bible other than the King James Version. This person listens to all their speeches,etc I remember as a teenager that we were taught to use the King James Version as it gave the gospel message in a language that connected with the spirit. Anyone notice this trend

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: February 15, 2020 11:01AM

I was always taught that the King James version of the Bible was the most correct translation and that the prophet wanted us to refer only to that version.

I would love to know which prophet first put that forward. Must have been Joseph himself? Anybody?

As to why use the other Bibles now----Perhaps the Mormons found out the likelihood that their favorite Bible pusher, King James, was gay and will slowly distance themselves?

One article of interest:

Pastoral Psychology
July 2007, Volume 55, Issue 6, pp 667–699 | Cite as
The Homosexual Tendencies of King James: Should this Matter to Bible Readers Today?

Authors and affiliations
Donald CappsEmail authorNathan Steven Carlin

Abstract
The question whether King James, who commissioned the translation of the Bible into English in 1604, had homosexual tendencies has been under discussion in recent years. We review the arguments presented against this view and conclude that they are largely circular and ad hominem. We then consider the evidence presented by those who argue for this view, including the emotional distance between King James and his wife; his intense affection for three men in the course of his life; contemporary criticism of his public expressions of affection toward two of these men; and contemporary allegations that his reluctance to commit England to war was due to his “effeminate” nature. We discuss his family history and his relationship to one man in particular and conclude that the argument he had homosexual tendencies is compelling. We then take up the associations that his own contemporaries made between homosexual behavior, effeminacy, pacifism, and the scholar, and present our view that in authorizing the translation of the Bible into English, he provided a scholarly model for male cooperation that was inherently superior to the martial model of male enterprise advocated by his opponents. We also suggest that his authorization of a new translation of the Bible was psycho-dynamically related to his loss of his mother in infancy and to his guilt for having failed to come to her aid when she requested his help. Finally, we make a case in behalf of the King James Version of the Bible on the grounds that it functions as a cultural selfobject (Kohut), due mainly to its maternal associations; that King James’s favorite Bible verse was Matthew 5:9—“Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God”; and that James had homosexual tendencies.

Hmmmnnnn

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 15, 2020 12:18PM

Until Dallin Oaks says it is OK to use other versions of the Bible, I'm going to assume only the KJV is the one and only "true" Mormon-approved version.

I think they loves the KJV not because it is the most correctly translated, but because it matches (sort of) the pseudo-Elizabethan English of the BoM and the PoGP/D&C.

Dallin has been the biggest backer of the KJV.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 15, 2020 12:48PM

When I was in college many years ago, I took an academic class in the New Testament. My professor taught about the various Bible translations/versions. He explained that the KJ version has long been known for its beautiful language but not terribly accurate translation. I think back then there were two or three Bible versions that were preferred by academics. The NIV was one of them, and that was the one I purchased at that time. I don't know what the situation is now.

I'm guessing that the KJ has be preferred by the Mormon church because that is what Joseph plagiarized for the BoM.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 15, 2020 04:18PM

His translation rules!! (Wherever Spanish is spoken)

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 15, 2020 07:34PM

Question then:

which translation do Spanish-speaking members use?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 15, 2020 07:44PM

El Rey Jaime version, of course!

Yes, the Rey Jaime translation of the Cipriano De Valera version.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: February 18, 2020 05:04PM

Once, I was browsing through DH's scriptures from his mission. Of course, they were liberally salted with "vosotros," which most of us in the New World don't use.

DH also told me that in everyday speech,in Central America, they use the pronoun "vos," which is second-person-singular, only a little bit nastier than "tú." It has a connotation of speaking down, like "Hey, you - scum - move your backside."

"Vos" even has its own distinct conjugation pattern, which I found fascinating. With the verb "hablar," it is "vos hablás." So I can understand it when I hear it, but I can't actually use it myself. I would be hopelessly clumsy.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: February 17, 2020 10:12AM

Whenever I have to read the KJV (or BoM, by extension) or hear somebody quote it, my eyes glaze over and I can almost literally feel a part of my brain atrophying.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 17, 2020 11:35AM

Not until they retranslate 2 Nephi they won't.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: February 17, 2020 12:06PM

IMV the KJ was what JS used when he made up his doctrines. Any other version with a slightly different translation could raise doubt.

Posted by: sunstoned ( )
Date: February 19, 2020 01:47AM

Hello everyone. Just a quick reminder that we do have a more accurate Bible translation. It's called the JSIV (Joseph Smith Inspired Version). Enough said. </s>

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 19, 2020 01:57AM

I thought 'mainstreaming' is one word.

No, I don't live in a (grammar) hole.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 19, 2020 02:01AM

Don't overlook the contribution to the discussion made by my favorite prophet, seer, and self-hater, Spencer Kimball. He's the one that told Mormons they were supposed to use "thee" and "thou" when praying because those words are more formal than "you" and, well, "you."

More formal. You can't make this stuff up.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 19, 2020 10:33AM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Don't overlook the contribution to the discussion
> made by my favorite prophet, seer, and self-hater,
> Spencer Kimball. He's the one that told Mormons
> they were supposed to use "thee" and "thou" when
> praying because those words are more formal than
> "you" and, well, "you."
>
> More formal. You can't make this stuff up.

As a youth, I had leaders who actually interrupted my quorum prayers to tell me that I wasn't praying correctly with thee/thy/thine/thou words. My you/yours were insulting, yet that's how my parents prayed at home.

It's little wonder why the church left me with so many unpleasant memories and experiences.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: February 19, 2020 10:42AM

Mormons are all form over substance.

We were well schooled in the thee/thou/thine as Mormon kids and were horrified at others who were so "overly familiar and disrespectful" to God in their prayers.

Posted by: dorothynli ( )
Date: February 19, 2020 04:10PM

It seems God has very thin skin. He should read a self help book or something.

Posted by: TonyS ( )
Date: February 19, 2020 12:51PM

They are stuck with the KJV simply because it has the Joseph Smith Translation with it.

Also, since the KJV is archaic in language, it is difficult to understand, and it keeps the everyday members in the dark about what the Bible really says.

If the Mormon church actually moved away from the KJV... lets say the NIV, then members would actually read it, and find all the faults in Mormon doctrine, and leave.

For now, they tell the members that it is the most correct version just because it's the oldest readable English version... and the rest is corrupt (insert telephone game here).

But when you study how modern translations are made, they are remastered, that is, they are from the original Greek and Hebrew sources, some of which are older than what King James had at the time. Modern translations are not based or derived from the KJV AT ALL.

I don't ever see them moving from the KJV... EVER.

Posted by: nomo moes ( )
Date: February 20, 2020 07:22PM

The recently released handbook states:

Bible

English-speaking members should use the Latter-day Saint edition of the King James Version of the Bible. This edition includes the Topical Guide; footnotes; excerpts from the Joseph Smith Translation; cross-references to other passages in the Bible and to the Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, and Pearl of Great Price; and other study aids. Although other versions of the Bible may be easier to read, in doctrinal matters, latter-day revelation supports the King James Version in preference to other English translations.

Spanish-speaking members should use the Latter-day Saint edition of the Reina-Valera Bible. This edition includes study aids similar to those in the Latter-day Saint edition in English.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.