Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Oregon ( )
Date: February 15, 2020 04:44PM

Don't worry Rusty, there is still time to revoke this part of the WoW and blame the mis-information on another dead profit. No worries.

Is coffee good for me?

Yes.

In moderation, coffee seems to be good for most people — that’s 3 to 5 cups, or up to 400 milligrams of caffeine.

“The evidence is pretty consistent that coffee is associated with a lower risk of mortality,” said Erikka Loftfield, a research fellow at the National Cancer Institute who has studied the beverage.

For years, coffee was believed to be a possible carcinogen, but the 2015 Dietary Guidelines helped to change perception. For the first time, moderate coffee drinking was included as part of a healthy diet. When researchers controlled for lifestyle factors, like how many heavy coffee drinkers also smoked, the data tipped in coffee’s favor.

A large 2017 review on coffee consumption and human health in the British Medical Journal also found that most of the time, coffee was associated with a benefit, rather than a harm. In examining more than 200 reviews of previous studies, the authors observed that moderate coffee drinkers had less cardiovascular disease, and premature death from all causes, including heart attacks and stroke, than those skipping the beverage.

In addition, experts say some of the strongest protective effects may be with Type 2 diabetes, Parkinson’s disease and liver conditions such as cirrhosis, liver cancer and chronic liver disease. For example, having about five cups of coffee a day, instead of none, is correlated with a 30% decreased risk of Type 2 diabetes, according to a meta-analysis of 30 studies.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/coffee-good-150834016.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: February 15, 2020 05:25PM

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 15, 2020 05:38PM

Yes...and I love it.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: February 15, 2020 06:07PM

The Mormon leaders figured out that if you can get someone to shun something as innocuous as a cup of coffee and consider it a tool of Satan, then you can get them to do anything. First step down the slippery slope of Mormonism.

So coffee is an inoculation against Mormonism. That is quite a benefit, Important to keep getting your booster shots regularly.

Been drinking coffee for nearly 50 years. I'm the only one in my TBM family that can run and not be weary, walk and not faint. Knock on wood, of course.

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen 2.0 ( )
Date: February 15, 2020 08:03PM

...yes. But an excessive amount of caffeine is not helpful, especially for cardiac or other persons diagnosed with a heart-related condition.

100mg is the average cup of coffee...pushing that intake can be detrimental to any heart conditions that you might have.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: February 16, 2020 12:51AM

I don't care one way or the other. The stuff tastes vile to me, and I won't touch it.

I was told for years as a child that spinach was good for me, and I still have nightmares about dinner-table wars over it. I learned to like it raw, in salads, in college. The slimy, slithery, overcooked canned stuff was just revolting.

It's nice to be a grown-up and be able to make your own choices about stuff.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: February 16, 2020 01:43AM

I use instant coffee granules as both a nutritional supplement and as a flavoring.

For continuing brain health (because, in moderation, coffee does contribute to brain health), part of my breakfast is:
one rounded teaspoon organic instant coffee, stirred into about a cup or so of cold milk, with some stevia drops stirred in for sweetening. (This is always the last thing in my breakfast, because as soon as I have swallowed this, I brush my teeth, GENTLY, and with toothpaste, so the coffee doesn't stain my teeth. I grew up in a coffee drinking family, and I definitely don't ever want to carry on the "tradition" of my family's dingy-colored teeth!)

If I have additional fluid milk later in the day, I usually add a few drops of stevia, and maybe an eighth of a teaspoon or less of instant coffee for flavoring. (And after I drink this additional "coffee," I rinse my mouth out well, again: so I don't "inherit" my maternal family's beige-colored teeth!)

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 16, 2020 04:10AM

Posted by: Richard Foxe ( )
Date: February 16, 2020 04:14AM

Oregon Wrote:

>
> “The evidence is pretty consistent that coffee
> is associated with a lower risk of mortality,”
> said Erikka Loftfield, a research fellow at the
> National Cancer Institute who has studied the
> beverage.

WHAT? So fewer coffee drinkers actually die? Show us even one immortal coffee drinker.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 16, 2020 11:24AM

It must be difficult to sell potential converts on the LDS "health code" when so much evidence supports the benefits of coffee, tea, and even red wine when drunk in moderation.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: February 16, 2020 11:37AM

It reminds me of whacky religions (hmmmmm) who withhold medicine from sick children.

Date: February 16, 2020 02:02PM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It must be difficult to sell potential converts on
> the LDS "health code" when so much evidence
> supports the benefits of coffee, tea, and even red
> wine when drunk in moderation.

Absolutely.

And the church seems to be clueless as to why their missions in Southeast Asia stumble to find converts. So many places require water to be boiled to stay healthy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2020 02:03PM by messygoop.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: February 16, 2020 12:33PM

"It is by coffee alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning; it is by coffee alone I set my mind in motion." -Caffeine Mantra.

Date: February 16, 2020 02:13PM

The church embraces this "modern business culture" of the 1950s.

-Suits and ties and dresses and high heels for proper worship attire
-Reinforcement of gender roles

And yet where's the smoking cigarettes, drinking of coffee and the socializing with alcohol that was so prevalent during that era?

Wasn't that also part of the good ole days that the church is so fond of?

The rest of the world has moved forward.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: February 17, 2020 10:42AM

I don't know if coffee is good for me or not. ut then I have only been drinking it for 70 of my 84 years

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: February 17, 2020 10:47AM

Been drinking coffee for nearly fifty of my seventy. I have to laugh because my mother keeps remarking how I have the best health in the family by far (knock on wood) while they would all lay down their lives before having a cup of coffee even once. I keep wanting to ask her how that "run and not be weary, walk and not faint," thing is working out for them all . . .

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: February 17, 2020 11:20AM

Desertrat1, the finest combo on earth is a cup of coffee and a homemade roll per your recipe. :)

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: February 17, 2020 11:29AM

I didn’t try coffee until a couple of years ago when I left the church.
I love coffee and especially with a little half and half and sugar. My favorite is Boyd’s ( not to be confused with Boyd K Packer) ;)

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 17, 2020 11:36AM

And when exactly is sugar in season?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 17, 2020 06:27PM

When you're famished for it!

Date: February 17, 2020 06:32PM

Aren't you sweet!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 17, 2020 06:36PM

The word on the street is that I am an idiot.

I'm hoping there are some sweet benefits!

Date: February 18, 2020 12:29PM

Is that the subatomic street or the race street?

Posted by: ellenbee ( )
Date: February 17, 2020 08:46PM

I didn't start drinking coffee until I decided to give up cola drinks many years ago - I was a total "coke" addict (the legal kind) but it was destroying my teeth. I now drink coffee, but just one cup a day, strong and black, no sugar. I find it keeps my 69yo brain much more alert, and helps me ward off a sort of low-level depression I've been dealing with as I age.
I do have one bit of advice, from my dentist - don't drink coffee just before having any dental work done that will require numbing injections - the caffeine apparently can slow down the numbing action quite a bit. This happened to me on my last visit, while getting several small cavities filled, and it took something like 5 separate injections before my dentist could start working on my mouth.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.