Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Old Al ( )
Date: February 16, 2020 05:13PM

Prophet Joseph F Smith said this about tithing at the 1907 General Conference: "Furthermore, I want to say to you, we may not be able to reach it right away, but we expect to see the day when we will not have to ask you for one dollar of donation for any purpose, except that which you volunteer to give of your own accord, because we will have tithes sufficient in the storehouse of the Lord to pay everything that is needful for the advancement of the kingdom of God." (In Conference Report, Apr. 1907, 7)

It seems to me that day has arrived.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: February 16, 2020 05:34PM

Given the revelation of the 100 billion dollar (I'm betting it's twice that, as others have reported) nest egg, I'm pretty sure that day arrived about 80+ years ago.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: February 16, 2020 06:04PM

Well the recent article from the Deseret News has the presiding bishop reiterating that if poor people are faced with tithing or food, to pay their tithing. (the church might give them a biscuit if they are worthy?). The hierarchy still wants to bleed the poor.
https://www.deseret.com/faith/2020/2/14/21133740/mormon-church-finances-billions-presiding-bishopric-ensign-peak-tithing-donations-byu-real-estate

Posted by: Old Al ( )
Date: February 16, 2020 06:09PM

I have a testimony that not paying tithing has been a great blessing in my life.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 16, 2020 06:12PM

I believe that pain is one of the great attractions to cults. If it costs a lot, it must be valuable. And if a person has made immense sacrifices--religion, family, money, career--she cannot bear to admit that it was all futile.

Tithing is critical to the LDS church, not so much because the church needs the money but rather because the members need the pain. If Joseph F. Smith thought the church could one day dispense with tithing, he lacked the psychological insights today's apostles and prophets have stumbled upon.

Posted by: desertwoman ( )
Date: February 17, 2020 10:08PM

Let's Wife:

Have you ever read the book, "Influence", by Robert Cialdi? Illuminating.

Date: February 17, 2020 10:25PM

I have not, desertwoman. Is it relevant to the topic? should I read it?

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: February 16, 2020 08:17PM

Joseph F. Smith: "We expect to see the day when we will not have to ask you for one dollar of donation for any purpose. . ."

The Big 15: "HA!"

Date: February 17, 2020 04:22AM

Joseph F. Smith was speaking as a man.

Posted by: MormonMartinLuther ( )
Date: February 18, 2020 02:05PM

Agreed he was speaking as a man and not as the Lord's accountant.

We were warned about paying too much attention to the decimals of devils. We need stick to the basics - 10% of gross or net income, you decide.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: February 16, 2020 09:44PM

The day comes for the church members when they die.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 18, 2020 03:35PM

Joseph F. Smith was 100% correct, and that day came in the early 70s, but I have misplaced that last receipt, so I can't give you the exact date.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: February 18, 2020 03:53PM

That day already came and went.

That was when the impoverished members in south america gave their gold teeth because they had no money to give.

But that day has passed.....so pay up....in US dollars!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.