Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 17, 2020 02:34PM

Does anyone know where the church welfare cannery was located in Ogden? There's a clip where the church announced that it was building a new facility in 1977. It's kind of a curious church expenditure considering that many private canning companies were closing their plants all over the country in the 1970-80's.

After the church in my area sold the land for its welfare farm (pear and apple orchard). Members were assigned to a yearly cannery assignment near Sacramento. My parents explained that the church didn't even own a cannery, but leased its use for a particular period of time~ about two weeks at Campbell's Soup plant. Some of the time required to attend was odd: 10pm-4am. Yeah, the ward had a heck of a time finding members to volunteer during those odd hours. I think the church had purchased some fields of tomato to can its own soup.

My Mom no longer talks about it so I think the church now buys food to have available in its storehouse.

https://youtu.be/nfa8pPtWxEI?t=1063

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 17, 2020 06:22PM

https://www.standard.net/lifestyle/faith/state-of-the-art-lds-cannery-dedicated-in-harrisville/article_ec166e26-7e80-5f4b-a821-83aefd1e5c87.html

from about the middle of the story (with a killer last line!):

"'We’ve had an increase of 80 percent over our production capacity of the previous Ogden cannery,' Davies said.

"In the 1970s and 1980s, the Ogden cannery needed between 100 and 150 volunteers at a time to can products ... The new cannery will require between 20 and 50

"The 7.5 acres where the cannery now stands is just as hallowed as that of the temple"

See, I told you it was a killer last line! I'm wondering if you need TR to work or volunteer there? It is 'hallowed ground'...

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: February 18, 2020 01:47AM

E.O.D., let's look at the rest of a sentence you excerpted:

"The 7.5 acres where the cannery now stands is just as hallowed as that of the temple, he said: “Both are integral to redeeming and exalting his children.”

Thus, this work is "integral" (i.e. "necessary to completeness of the whole") to "redeeming and exalting" his children."
--what you have here is a demonstration of a works-based theology. You cannot gain forgiveness (redeeming) and Heaven (exalting) without work(s).

It may have been the newsriter, but I also noticed lower-case reference to Divinity.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: February 18, 2020 04:32AM

caffiend Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> It may have been the newsriter, but I also noticed
> lower-case reference to Divinity.

I've never made a study of it, but LDS Inc. has historically been more casual with regard to capitalization with regard to deity-linked pronouns as compared to its Catholic and Protestant counterparts.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: February 17, 2020 06:26PM

AS the article says from EOD it was where the DI is out on North Street in Ogden. I remember going out there in the 90s for a 2 hour shift. The place was really clean, I think we spent most of the time cleaning rather than canning. They used lots of water!

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: February 18, 2020 04:35AM

I remember having good times at the church's welfare grape/raisin farm in Madera County. I suppose it's still in operation. Does anyone know?

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: February 18, 2020 01:34PM

In 1970 we lived in south Sacramento, a few blocks south of the Campbell soup plant. When they were processing tomato soup, you could smell it for a mile around the area.

The following year I was working in Teton NP in Wyoming for the feds. Most of help at the lodges seemed to all come from SLC/Ogden area.

One of the guys I worked with was from the same area and talked about working at the canneries and hated every moment of the time. Don't remember if he worked for Delmont, church cannery or someone else. But he said some of the guys would do things that makes one wonder about the purity of the product.

One guy gave up smoking and took his last pack of cigarettes and stuffed it into one of the cans on the line. Another time one of them found a dead mouse on the parking lot, it to made it to a can on the line.

Hopefully these are just tall tales and/or inspectors caught the "pranks" before the product went to the public.

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: February 20, 2020 05:05PM

When I got off my mission in 1978, I lived with my parents in Carmichael for a few months. I was asked to work at the cannery. Somehow ChurchCo purchased a truckload of dented cand of tomato juice. Our job was to open each can with a can opener and dump the juice into a 5 gallon bucket that was then taken and put into the vat, re-cooked and re-canned. The stench was god awful and nauseating. I didn't drink tomato juice again for at least 30 years.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 18, 2020 02:03PM

(swear)

I was rather curious about the business deals that the church carries out. They sure like to bitch and moan that the church can't afford to help every member (so they preach self-reliance 'til they're blue in the face) yet they have made some poor business planning along the way.

For instance, I had previously shared my tales the pear farm. It was one of three that the church owned and yielded the most, yet the church mismanaged it to the point that most of the pear trees succumbed to a devastating blight. So only after several years of dismal (failed crops) the church finally brought in some tree/crop experts. By then it was too late and the entire orchard was bulldozed and replanted with apples. Then the entire apple orchard was bulldozed just short of the first harvest. Today the land is owned by a winery :D

While I was googling the NEW 1977 Ogden Cannery. I came across instances where a canning facility had closed and had been donated to a city or LDS Corp. Apparently, the church would use a property or facility and then would wait until a newer facility became available. I suppose the church wanted to increase production (or maybe they couldn't pay inspectors to overlook deficiencies or violations) and the church built a new state-of-the-art one in the late 1970s. Even President Reagan toured it in 1982.

I find it ironic that the newest church cannery in Harrisville only requires a small group of people to manage it. Just another sign of the time that church is losing membership.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 21, 2020 09:54AM

for the church sometimes and it was in the Brigham area. I think they may have rented the space for a short time.

We got our fill of doing church welfare projects since my dad had tractors. He used to bale hay for the church a lot. One day he needed some more gas and called me to come down and go get it. He had me drive his truck and I had a hard time shifting it into reverse. He said I shouldn't be driving his truck if I didn't know how to. He was in a really bad mood. I wonder why. My thought was, "Well, I didn't ask to do this!!!" I didn't say it out loud.

My dad and I had a big argument over him volunteering all of us to hoe beets for the stake farm. They always hit up my dad as he was one of just a few farmers in the ward. I had hoed beets all my life and I was in my 20s and I said ABSOLUTELY NOT. He was not happy, but he apologized to me later. He didn't want to do it anymore than I did. As I've said, my dad wasn't a TBM, but they USED him for his knowledge and equipment.

P.S. It takes a hell of a lot more than putting a seed in the ground, covering it with dirt, and watering it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2020 09:56AM by cl2.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.