Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: February 20, 2020 09:33PM

https://youtu.be/mPmmLRR9wTI
Dawkins empathizes with those who want comfort when facing death, but that doesn't make it true. He is arguing against a strawman version of God.
Kaku thinks there are two kinds of gods, Judeo Christian Santa Clause for adults or Einstein's god little "g', Spinozzas God
He thinks the atheism vs. Theism debate is a false dichotomy and the question is undecidable.
We are all agnostic.
Because there's plenty of mystery, which is what science is working on illuminating.
He says we have a strong candidate for what Einstein called, "the mind of God", String theory.
Which is his field.
Which is music,
Played on strings
Which vibrate
Through multidimensional hyperspace.
He sounds crazy,
But he's a mathmatical genius.
But if you look closely at quantum physics and you have not felt like you are going crazy,
Keep looking.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2020 09:40PM by schrodingerscat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 20, 2020 10:29PM

I bet you wash your hands a lot.

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: February 20, 2020 11:34PM

OMG. Hahahaha!

Date: February 20, 2020 11:43PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I bet you wash your hands a lot.

I bet you're a crotchety old grouch a lot.
But try to make an intelligent contribution instead of detracting from every conversation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2020 11:45PM by schrodingerscat.

Date: February 20, 2020 11:56PM

What conversation?

Date: February 21, 2020 12:18AM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> What conversation?
Might want to click on the link in the OP and give a listen before detracting from the conversation, like you do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2020 12:19AM by schrodingerscat.

Date: February 21, 2020 12:28AM

I did watch it. Smart men saying the same trivial things for a biddable audience.

I'll bet people pay significant money to see such debates.

Once.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: February 21, 2020 09:50AM

LOL. I was wondering if there is some form of Autism or what behind the obsession with this same thread over and over.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: February 21, 2020 11:08AM

No time for hand washing. Too busy rechecking to make sure the door is locked.

Did I leave the faucet running when I left for work?

Posted by: anon 4 this joke ( )
Date: February 20, 2020 10:56PM

Schrodinger, scat.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: February 20, 2020 11:18PM

in b 4 ~ ziller want wut schrodingerscat be smoking ~

thx ~

plz respon~

thx again ~

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 20, 2020 11:45PM

A strawman version of god ? Tell us which version of god is not a strawman.

Date: February 21, 2020 12:17AM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
> A strawman version of god ? Tell us which version
> of god is not a strawman.

The version Einstein and Spinoza spoke about, and Kaku, Sagan and Hawking.
Even Richard Dawkins admits to believing in Einstein's god, nature, in the first chapter of his book, the God Delusion.

Date: February 21, 2020 12:29PM

>> "Even Richard Dawkins admits to believing in Einstein's god, nature, in the first chapter of his book, the God Delusion."

So Richard Dawkins admits to believing in nature. That's the bottom line of that statement. But keep posting, I'm sure you'll have break though any day now and we'll all see the same light that you see.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: February 21, 2020 10:21AM

Name dropping is so last year.

Blowing out all the other god's candles to make Einstein's taken-out-of-context statement appear to glow brighter in support your own agenda is getting a little old.

"If you are discussing horses it would seem out of place to mix in donkeys and proceed to discuss them all together." Norman Totten

Hint: Einstein's supposed god is the donkey.

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: February 21, 2020 11:47AM

Can we not keep doing this? The horse is very, very dead.

Don't get me wrong. I have no issue with legitimate questioning of the existence of God, what "God" means to people, especially in the context of how people feel while leaving the church. That's one of the reasons why this site exists and there have been many interesting and helpful conversations on this topic over the years and many even helped me when I left the church years ago.

But these repetitive topics with no real new information brought up by the same person for the purpose of preaching their personal "religious" views are old and help no one anymore.

They boil down to, "Look I have a quote from a popular scientist that happens to match my personal views"

One of a couple things happen at this point they boil down to:

- "You are misrepresenting or taking what was said out of context"
- "Here are other statements by the same scientist that contradict your interpretation"
- "You don't understand metaphor."

All of which gets the same answer, "No and here's another out of context quote that has little if anything to do with your statement, but I'm posting it anyway."

Can we please, please stop this? There is no good debate here, because people point out the obvious flaws with the statements and are met with more inanity.

The person making these posts obviously has no interest in actual conversation or debate, he's outright preaching his religion, hoping for followers. I thought that was against the rules.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2020 11:48AM by Finally Free!.

Date: February 21, 2020 03:07PM

I've never posted about this topic before.
I've never seen a debate between a Biologist and a String Theorist.
Thought others here might be interested.
If you're not, feel free to ignore any topic I bring up, since you're only good at detracting from discussions and insulting people, apparently.

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: February 21, 2020 03:31PM

>"I've never posted about this topic before."

You're honestly going to say that you've never posted an appeal to authority, excuse me... a statement by a scientist that happens to back up your personal views along with a vague comment along the lines of "Keep looking."

You're using the same tactics of any preacher trying to find converts on this site. The only difference between your posts and a traditional religious apologist is that you use pop-science to back up your claims rather than the Bible. You pick and choose statements that you think back up your beliefs. You ignore any statement that points out the problems with your statements and buckle down with more random quotes, hoping that if you keep repeating your statements enough that people will believe you. Justifying your comments with things like "I'm just asking questions" or "I'm trying to get people to think" (as long at they think like you, right?) Any argument that you can't refute is met with personal insults and claims of being attacked. I've had too many conversations with other religious leaders when I was a missionary not to see the tactics. Heck, I used them myself when I was a TBM. Any other preacher would be booted immediately.

You have repeatedly shown that you don't care about peoples responses, you only want to preach your brand of theology, constantly testifying about redefining "God" to fit your beliefs and random quotes by people you have deemed "smart" (funny how the only "smart" people agree with you, but only in single sentences.)

I'm not the only one pointing out how you keep bringing up the same topics over and over again. Sure the exact quotes or links may change, but the topics are the same. Or have you not read any of the other posts in this very thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2020 03:32PM by Finally Free!.

Date: February 21, 2020 03:31PM

>> "Thought others here might be interested."

I guess you were wrong......again......and again......and again....

When all you get is jokes and flack about this topic and whatever derivatives of it you invent as seemingly new...what makes you think anyone here might be interested in it?

It's like a robocalling telemarketer calling over and over and over, even when you asked to be put on the "do not call list" because they thought you might be interested.

Date: February 22, 2020 06:46PM

It seems like there's a lot of antagonism on RfM towards anybody who's OK with the word, "God" being used in our national Motto, on our money, in our Pledge of Allegiance.
I get flack directed at me for using the word the same exact way it's been used by the greatest geniuses of the 20th and 21st Century. Most scientists would meet the definition of an atheist in Websters, but they reject the label, because it creates a needless division between people, that's based upon a false dichotomy.
Even atheists, like Stephen Hawking, don't have a problem with using the word, god, they're just careful to define what they mean by the word when they use it.
Even Dawkins admits he believes in Einstein's religion, which was based upon Spinoza's religion, which held that nature was divine, aka, god, for short.
I just hope that by starting these discussions here, is that new ExMo's hear from a dissenting voice, that says, no, you don't have to go along with the ExMO Atheist club and call yourself an Atheist just to be cool, once you leave the Mormon church. You're not stupid if you still believe in god. There is a type of 'god', Einstein's god, that does not require you to deny science, which is stupid, but embrace science, with the humility of realizing what we know is only a tiny fraction of what there is to know about the universe.
We don't have to perpetuate the false dichotomy.

Date: February 22, 2020 07:01PM

"Most scientists would meet the definition of an atheist in Websters."

That's the point, isn't it. Those scientists are atheists who use the word "god" metaphorically.

Your problem is that you take metaphor literally and hence miss the point.

Date: February 22, 2020 07:28PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> "Most scientists would meet the definition of an
> atheist in Websters."
>
> That's the point, isn't it. Those scientists are
> atheists who use the word "god" metaphorically.
>
> Your problem is that you take metaphor literally
> and hence miss the point.

I know it's a metaphor.
I'm not taking it literally. I use the word the same way as Michio Kaku/Hawking/Sagan/Einstein/Spinozza/Aurelius/Epicurous.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 21, 2020 12:13PM

When Mr. Drummin' was told not to beat it by his son he asked his son wat he was talkin' about. And the beat goes on.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 21, 2020 12:16PM

I've reported you for talking like a bloody Englishman!

Date: February 21, 2020 12:19PM

If you pull my strings I'll Kaku on you.

Date: February 21, 2020 12:33PM

I'm Kaku for Kokaubeams.

Date: February 21, 2020 05:19PM

Whether Kolobian or Mindspace, it is all kookoo.

"Fig. 5. Is called in Egyptian Enish-go-on-dosh; this is one of the governing planets also, and is said by the Egyptians to be the Sun, and to borrow its light from Kolob through the medium of Kae-e-vanrash, which is the grand Key, or, in other words, the governing power, which governs fifteen other fixed planets or stars, as also Floeese or the Moon, the Earth and the Sun in their annual revolutions. This planet receives its power through the medium of Kli-flos-is-es, or Hah-ko-kau-beam, the stars represented by numbers 22 and 23, receiving light from the revolutions of Kolob."
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/scriptures/pgp/abr/fac-2?lang=eng

"The S2T model is based on fifteen dimensions collapsed into five. It’s important to grasp that we’re not just connecting the dots, here. From a dimensional perspective, we have the four primary dimensions and in addition have included a fifth that has been often overlooked and previously devalued – we call it here, mindspace. Past generations have referred to this as headspace, but for obvious reasons the connotation of this reference does not serve our purposes here. By including mindspace as the fifth dimension, we can elevate the conversation up and away from earlier attempts to illuminate this primary sentient process."
https://journal.emergentpublications.com/article/the-social-string-theory-s2t-establishing-the-ties-that-bind/

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: February 21, 2020 12:59PM

What makes you think appealing to authority will work with this audience?

Mormonism burned too many people here, but I think you’re still looking for God. Try Rupert Sheldrake videos.

God may be made up, but that’s how the metaphysical works. Made up things that are subjectively real if you believe them are a kind of technology that works because of the way spirit integrates with the physical body. In that space, the mind games of Mormonism have a place. Unfortunately, those games come with too many strings attached.

Those aren’t the same as Kaku’s strings. The quantum foam is a subtle ether that connects us to the akasha. See Ralph Abraham’s “DEMYSTIFYING THE AKASHA Consciousness and the Quantum Vacuum”

The free PDF version is at https://www.researchgate.net/publication/281765423_DEMYSTIFYING_THE_AKASHA_Consciousness_and_the_Quantum_Vacuum

Date: February 21, 2020 01:30PM

Question: Do you believe in god?

Answer: Yes I do, if by the word god you mean the laws of nature.

Reply to Answer: No, that's not what I mean by the word god.

Now what?

Posted by: Razortooth ( )
Date: February 21, 2020 01:48PM

Arguments over the existence or nonexistence of god are ridiculously futile. Your opinion does not matter. The opinion of Carl Sagan doesn't matter. If there is a god, then there IS a god. If there is no god, then there IS no god. It's that simple. Arguments have no effect on the reality. Your belief or lack of belief is irrelevant. And it makes no difference.  Your opinions and belief cannot alter the truth.  If there is a god, would the world be different than a world without a god? We would remain subject to the same occurrences and calamities either way while the universe looks on with pitiless indifference. And why should I care as long as there is a Kentucky Fried Chicken down the street?

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: February 21, 2020 02:03PM

You have Kentucky Fried Chicken down the street? There is a god!

Posted by: razortooth ( )
Date: February 21, 2020 06:06PM

AND a McDonald's around the corner! Who needs a god?

Date: February 21, 2020 06:13PM

In the fast food trinity.......

Col. Sanders is god.

Ronald McDonald is jesus.

The Burger King is the holy ghost.

And since they don't need condoms in heaven, they carry condiments, like packets of ketchup or mayo, in their wallets.

Date: February 21, 2020 06:16PM

Watch it, Roy. No loud laughter or evil speaking of condiments, please.

Date: February 21, 2020 06:41PM

I relish the opportunity to laugh loudly about condiments.

I haven't spoken evil of condiments in sometime but I will get on it and Ketchup.

I mayo may not stop it altogether though.

If you squeeze lemon on your fish does it taste tarter sour to you?

Twice I stole some smoked salmon. I was surprised I was able to pull of those capers.

I used to do magic with spaghetti noodles. First you see them and then pesto! They're gone!

Wait a minute. Au Jus making fun of me? That would be a gravyous sin.

I don't why I replied like this. Hummus tav thought it was funny.

Date: February 21, 2020 06:44PM

You spent half an hour on that post?

Date: February 21, 2020 07:02PM

No, I was in a Jam at work so it took a while to respond.

I Butter sign off now and head home.

Miso sorry.

Date: February 21, 2020 07:03PM

You misunderstand. I was surprised you did it that fast!

Date: February 21, 2020 07:05PM

Faster than the drive through at Wendy's!

Date: February 21, 2020 07:17PM

Well, I know where you take your wife on dates.

Lucky woman!

Date: February 22, 2020 04:59PM

“Ronald McDonald is jesus.”

Did ever notice that you never see Rusty’s feet when watching GC? It’s because of the clown shoes.

Posted by: God ( )
Date: February 21, 2020 01:56PM

Okay. It's time to set the record straight. I do not exist. Never did. Never will. Now leave me the fuck alone.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 21, 2020 02:06PM

Date: February 21, 2020 02:06PM

Just because you now identify as "nature" doesn't mean you aren't still god.

Date: February 21, 2020 03:24PM

God may have to report to his bishop.

Date: February 21, 2020 03:34PM

I wonder if he could go to BYU?

Date: February 21, 2020 03:38PM

Only if he stops killing his toys.

Date: February 21, 2020 03:50PM

gods pronoun is toys.

Date: February 21, 2020 05:22PM

Nature toys.

Sounds like a good band. But what about his mates? Are they nature toys too?

The Father, Son, and the Holy Ghost
They caught the last train for the coast

Date: February 21, 2020 05:35PM

Nature Toys..... I like it. They could play buck naked and have a pull string with a ring on the end attached to their backsides. They start the show by stepping out of their toy packages and end it by diving into a landfill on the stage.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 22, 2020 12:09AM

Enough with Einstein already. All life experiences can be understood more clearly by citing an appropriate scene from The Big Lebowski.

Throw us a change-up once in a while.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.