Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lowpriest ( )
Date: February 23, 2020 06:00PM

I can't wait to see the latest nonsense passed off as revelation. I am usually working that weekend, but with all the buzz....

Wild tapirs couldn't keep me away...

Jeez...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapir&ved=2ahUKEwjxs_m04-jnAhVCqZ4KHXPvAzIQmhMwDXoECBIQJw&usg=AOvVaw1sDp5mVabqu4eU5l4KeTzg

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: February 23, 2020 08:17PM

I think you are asking the wrong group.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: February 23, 2020 09:35PM

LetMeThinkAboutItAndGetBackToYouNotASnowball'sChanceInHell.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 23, 2020 09:37PM

Someone needs to check, in case they show wanted posters...!

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: February 23, 2020 11:28PM

SLC channel 5 TV always has a summary of the wonders of conference on their website. Even that is almost too much for me.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 24, 2020 12:00AM

either the OP is a troll

or s/he hasn't ever been disappointed waiting for something real to happen at GC.

I vote BOTH.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 24, 2020 02:01AM

Lowpriest is no troll: rather an old timer here, probably trying to persuade someone to take one for the team.

Date: February 24, 2020 12:41PM

It was sort of a joke.

Even when I cared what was said there I tried to avoid it.

Yet, all my dear TBM family and friends are building the hype.

It's like members of the LDS church need to invent things to be excited about. For myself, I will be somewhere else.

Thanks!

Date: February 24, 2020 12:54PM

I paradoxically like GC more now than when I was a believer. I absolutely hated it back then; it was torture.

Now it's like a rerun of the Jerry Springer Show. I don't mind the (rare) instance in which I see a few minutes, and I bemusedly await news of the latest contortions.

Mormonism as reality TV. It's cheap entertainment.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 24, 2020 12:18AM

The last time that I tried to watch, I remembered that I needed two root canals.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2020 12:19AM by messygoop.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: February 24, 2020 01:14AM

Maybe if they strap me down and prop my eyelids open like A Clockwork Orange.

Date: February 24, 2020 01:59AM

At least they don't ruin Beethoven's Ninth at Conference.

In that very limited sense, my droogies, the church is distinguishable from an Orwellian dystopia.

Date: February 24, 2020 10:11AM

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 24, 2020 10:20AM

and report the goings on at conference. I just find out here. My daughter isn't in Utah, so there isn't a chance that she'll be coming by to turn it on so I can listen, though supposedly it is just for her to listen. She hasn't done that in a while.

Being that she's in Alaska UP NORTH in Alaska, she'll have to go to a building I assume to listen and she will.

Date: February 24, 2020 01:00PM

I nearby biffy / outhouse might do just as well...

Date: February 24, 2020 04:08PM

2 hours away. She just went to Wasilla (the place where the lds church is) over this past weekend, so I assume it was for church. Maybe they even went to the temple in Anchorage. Soon she will be 7 hours from Anchorage.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: February 24, 2020 04:19PM

Correct re past reportings. It helps people here to put their experiences into perspective when GC goings-on are discussed. Who knows, perhaps seeing "revelation" constantly change can really open someone's eyes, like a mo family member's, or can help exmos process what they've been through as a Mormon and move ahead with the rest of their lives. I can see how those stuck in part-member families want/need to keep up to cope with what they face in their familial relationships and the lurking presence of Mormonism in their lives.

It can work that way too when interviews with Mormon leaders are broadcast, such as when Hinckley said to Mike Wallace on 60 minutes that the Mormon doctrine of blacks being denied the priesthood (i.e. racism) was just "little flecks of history". That came as a huge surprise to those who had grown up learning that eternal teaching. It was also surprising to hear Hinckley say that a major doctrine was just the way "the leaders of the church at that time interpreted that doctrine that way". Meaning (1) things can always change, including foundational and doctrinal beliefs, and (2) a doctrine that caused immeasurable anguish was a mere product of its time (depending on the whims of a leader at that moment) and no matter how much pain it had caused it could be minimized as being a "little fleck". Not so little to those harmed by a so-called prophet's utterings (i.e. JS and BY, for two). Going by that measure, the BoM could become a fleck also (would that it were so!) and maybe the entire missionary program. Why stop there - how about no temples, no Tab choir and no GC either, lol.

Too, there is the opportunity to joke around about some of GC's antics and output. And you know what they say:

Laughter is the best medicine.

I have found that to be true in many even seemingly dire situations. If not at that precise moment, in the aftermath. (It's true what they say about nurses having a ghoulish sense of humour - I can personally attest to that. No harm is meant. Tears and laughter are often bedfellows).

I at least skim some of the GC threads to see what's up. More so, I like to see how examining Mormonism helps questioning members, new exxies, and exmos with family members still in.

Date: February 24, 2020 12:57PM

If previous conferences serve as a guide, then church will wait several days to publish their rubbish. The church's PR group tracks the sound-bytes/quips/tweets from their talks and gauges how well or not so well (PR nightmare). If one of the inflatable gasbags has said something outrageous, then the church quietly goes about redacting the talk. The church can even intimidate their own speakers to redo a fake conference talk with coughing tracks added.

Posted by: Pathfinder. Notlogged in ( )
Date: February 26, 2020 08:06PM

This seems to be next conference Topic:

Brothers and sisters,

In the scriptures, there are very few sacred instances in which the voice of God the Father has been heard. So, when He says something, we really need to listen. Repeatedly, He has personally introduced His Beloved Son, Jesus Christ, with a specific charge to “hear Him!”

Have you ever stopped to ask, “Why?” Why is our Heavenly Father so insistent—and consistent—in His plea that we should hear His Beloved Son, Jesus Christ?

Jesus answered this question Himself. He said, “I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me” (John 14:6; emphasis added).

Our Father loves us and yearns for each one of us to choose to return to His holy presence. He pleads with us to listen to the voice of Jesus Christ, whom the Father anointed and appointed as our Mediator, Savior, and Redeemer.

In this special year, as we commemorate the 200th anniversary of the First Vision, I invite you to think deeply and often about this key question: How do you hear Him? I also invite you to take steps to hear Him better and more often. Throughout this year, we will focus in a special way on the historic event that took place in the Sacred Grove.

I invite you to be proactive and look for opportunities to share your feelings about the Lord Jesus Christ with your family and friends, including inviting your friends to join you in worshipping Him on Easter Sunday.

Now, as one of the Lord’s special witnesses, I bless you in your efforts to get on and stay on His covenant path, and strive with all your heart, might, mind, and soul to hear Him!

Sincerely,

Russell M. Nelson
President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 24, 2020 01:19PM

Its a trigger.

Date: February 24, 2020 03:29PM

Back when I was a new member of the mormons, I used to get excited for conference.

The speakers offered me new insight. Their style actually caught my attention. Yep.

The music lifted my spirit.

I lost these one at a time.

The messages are mostly irritating and just plain wrong.

Their speaking style is uninteresting, robotic, repetitive, and sleep inducing.

Even the songs push my buttons in the wrong way.

Every time I hear it, I struggle for days to stay out of a bad mood.

I suppose this means I have lost the spirit. Thank Bob for that.

Date: February 24, 2020 04:09PM

once for GC after she went back to church so she wouldn't have to go alone. Boy, that was eye opening, to see it from being on the outside. I had people afraid I'd be "touched by the spirit" and go back. Quite the opposite. I wasn't worried at all about it.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 26, 2020 12:23PM

Lowpriest Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I suppose this means I have lost the spirit. Thank
> Bob for that.

Bob's my angel.

Seriously, I can't wade through that much pabulum and smarmy sickeningly sweet rendering of their restoration. Urp! I think I threw up a bit just thinking about it.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: February 24, 2020 03:55PM

Posted by: scotchipman ( )
Date: February 24, 2020 04:48PM

Below is what Nelson said at the end of conference last fall.

The year 2020 will be designated as a bicentennial year. General conference next April will be different from any previous conference. In the next six months, I hope that every member and every family will prepare for a unique conference that will commemorate the very foundations of the restored gospel. -Nelson

2020 is the bicentennial year of the first vision. If the LDS Church chooses to focus on this I can see it backfiring with all of the different versions of the first vision or the fact that no one heard anything about the first vision until 12 years later.

Date: February 25, 2020 01:01AM

This kind of arbitrary designation by Nelson is typical LDS hype. It's part of the ongoing con.

The Mormons designate something as being special and then leverage it to control their members.

If every member thinks that the bicententacle of a made up event is important then they will need to make sure they are caught up on their tithing, etc.

It's the same technique that Joseph Smith used to coerce the testimony of the eight witnesses.

Its a wicked generation that cannot see with their spiritual eyes...

Posted by: Zelph the Apostate ( )
Date: February 24, 2020 04:57PM

Yes! Absolutly!

Semiannual drinking game. Me:everytime a lie rears it's head, take a drink.

My GF, whenever something offensive to women, drink.

My brother, when anything homophobic comes up, drink.

Being it's centering around the first vision, alcohol poisoning is a clear and present danger.. I will report the conference.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 24, 2020 06:24PM

@#$% no!

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: February 25, 2020 03:03AM

I have previous engagements that weekend.

When is it?

It isn't until around April Fool's Day, I think.

Anyway, thank you in advance, to those of you who bite the bullet and suffer agony in the front lines, to return and report back to us at RFM. I love you people, but I don't love you enough to endure conference for you. Like Lowpriest, conference used to put me in a bad mood, for days. The PTSD it triggered was awful--nightmares, indigestion, doomsday-and-death-anxiety.

I'm going to enjoy the weekend with my family, instead of locking myself away in front of the TV and focusing on death, and everyone's shortcomings.

Date: February 26, 2020 12:20PM

If I was FORCED to watch / listen, I'd VOMIT at the disconnect between their self-serving rhetoric *aka Lip Service* and their on-the-ground disregard for the core values of living a peaceful, respectful life;

Christian values of Honesty, Kindness, Respect for others are 99% diluted if not Totally AWOL from ChurchCo currently, it's all a legalistic presentation of excuses & exceptions.

Date: February 26, 2020 12:20PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.