Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: February 25, 2020 01:29PM

(This isn't an Onion article)
Today, LDS, Inc. is changing the name of LDS Business College to
Ensign College. Wonder if they'll reissue old diplomas?
Nelson's changes are costly and deep. Making it harder for the next "prophet" to reverse his changes. This is his legacy. Wow.

https://www.deseret.com/faith/2020/2/25/21151507/lds-business-college-changes-future-mormon-church-education

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 25, 2020 01:37PM

IT should have been called Ensign Valley College. The students can see the peak from their vantage point and can compete to get their slice of the milk strippings being stripling warriors for a 100 billion hedge fund.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: February 25, 2020 01:40PM

The simple fact that the "LDS Business College" now identifies as "Ensign College" and the fact that Rusty has the utmost respect for that, shows how in touch with the times Rusty and his church of the lighted pen really are.

I'm sure there are plenty of conflicted mormon youth that will see this as a very big win and a major step toward full acceptance by the church.

Date: February 25, 2020 01:42PM

Roy G Biv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm sure there are plenty of conflicted mormon
> youth that will see this as a very big win and a
> major step toward full acceptance by the church.

Underlying message in all their machinations with the youth.

Love = money.
Hate = gay.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 25, 2020 01:41PM

I'm willing to guess that the church is darn proud of their recent cash pile. So if the cat is out of the bag (Hey, look at our organization's ability to succeed) they might as well make a statement about it. The lord is pleased with our money makin' skills and we'll teach you too.

Date: February 25, 2020 01:45PM

I can see where you might make that leap. However, Rusty's lighted pen revelation to scrub LDS and Mormon, from history, came way before the 100 Billion dollar cat was let out of the bag. Maybe god was on a different time zone. That could explain the gap.

Date: February 25, 2020 01:55PM

stillanon Wrote:
> I can see where you might make that leap. However,
> Rusty's lighted pen revelation to scrub LDS and
> Mormon, from history, came way before the 100
> Billion dollar cat was let out of the bag. Maybe
> god was on a different time zone. That could
> explain the gap.

I clearly understand that Nelson is hell bent on renaming or scrubbing mormon/lds terminology.

I am curious as to why choose "Ensign" at this time. I'm insinuating that the new mormon word that carries negative connotation is Ensign because it will soon be associated with excessive corporate greed.

To me, you wouldn't name your new business school Enron or the thrifty Bernie Madoff school of trading.

How long until the church decides that the Ensign (church magazine) will be renamed the Disciple?

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: February 25, 2020 02:10PM

messygoop Wrote:
> How long until the church decides that the Ensign
> (church magazine) will be renamed the Disciple?

I'd forgotten that their magazine is named 'Ensign'. I get they like themes but why use the same name? I like the name mentioned above: Ensign Peaks. It would be easier for non-mos to remember that phrase rather than just the one word. Also the mountain would be a good reminder.

Ssshhh. Your suggestion for a new name for the magazine is a good one. More bible-ish. But it could sound a trifle cultish.

Another thing I don't get is why the college president said it's an unforgettable day. Is the name really that great, memorable, meaningful?

Maybe you have to be Mormon to get it...

Posted by: acerbic ( )
Date: February 25, 2020 04:24PM

They could rename the magazine The Missionary but that might remind people how bishops tried to pry into the sex life of married couples.

Date: February 25, 2020 02:23PM

The 100 billion LDS church fund that was discovered is the "Ensign Peak Fund". I'm guessing they're going all in, in the "name of transparency".

Date: February 25, 2020 02:05PM

Sounds like they're in the Navy (lowest rank).

I didn't know, or had forgotten, that in addition to expunging 'Mormon' from the vernacular they are also scrubbing 'LDS'. How inconvenient as their now-desired name is so.darn.long. Kind of like a miserable mission or ridiculous calling you never wanted to embark on in the first place.

Using 'Gospel Media' instead of 'LDS Media' is a shell game. Not that Mormons don't refer to their particular brand of gospel and nobody owns the word but it's misleading to outsiders (sounding like EV Christianity), and perhaps deliberately so. A blatant attempt at mainstreaming. But then they go and change the name of their WiFi service to 'Liahona' instead of 'LDS Access'. The former may sound clever, and all spiritual, to Mormons but outsiders won't easily identify what it is or remember it (not that they need to, I guess).

I don't understand the comments above about LGBTQ members or students. Why would the name change be welcome news to them? Why would they want to stick with the church anyway?

I still refer to Mormons and Mormonism. And will continue to do so for as long as it suits me.

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: February 25, 2020 04:10PM

Nightingale Wrote:
> Sounds like they're in the Navy (lowest rank).
>

Not the lowest rank. It is the lowest ranking officer, but above all of the enlisted and NCO ranks. A Senior Chief Petty Officer with 20 years of service technically ranks below a brand new Ensign fresh out of the Academy or OCS.

Date: February 25, 2020 04:41PM

Oh, thank you for the clarification. I looked it up in a hurry and only quickly scanned the info. Shows how careful you have to be in doing research!

I also belatedly thought that my hasty comment ("lowest rank") could be seen as a slight (or worse, insult) but I certainly didn't mean it that way. I was thinking only of taking a (cheap) shot at the church.

Next time I will be more careful. Thanks again. It usually pays to be thorough, not quick.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: February 25, 2020 02:23PM

Totally OT, but can anyone tell me why in the rest of the world it's "ents-inn", but in Mo' land it's "enn-sign"??

Date: February 25, 2020 04:15PM

Chicken N. Backpacks Wrote:
> Totally OT, but can anyone tell me why in the rest
> of the world it's "ents-inn", but in Mo' land it's
> "enn-sign"??

Church leaders aren't very smart.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 25, 2020 04:48PM

Both pronunciations are correct. They are two words with same spelling, different meanings. Kind of like lead: (leed) to direct or be in charge, and (led) a soft gray heavy metal

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: February 27, 2020 07:05PM

That's right, very good.

Date: February 25, 2020 04:15PM

I seem to recall that a conference talk about the correct way to say the stupid church magazine Ensign. It all centered around the fact that many "ignorant" members called it En-sun. Even as a member, I thought the church was beyond dumb to call something that members couldn't say without confusion.

They should have called it Golden, or Beacon or Rising Star.

Date: February 25, 2020 04:22PM

"Golden" reminds people of Golden Showers. "Beacon", is too close to Bacon, which eating too much is against the word of wisdumb. And "Rising Star" sounds like a Japanese commie movement. Hence, generic Ensign. OK, grasshopper?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2020 04:23PM by stillanon.

Date: February 25, 2020 04:43PM

stillanon Wrote:
> "Golden" reminds people of Golden Showers.

What about golden convert?

(Or should I not ask?!)

Date: February 25, 2020 06:06PM

The Millennial Seagull.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: February 25, 2020 06:12PM

>> "The Millennial Seagull."

Feels entitled to all the crickets without having to do any work to get them.

Date: February 25, 2020 06:15PM

10 percent of your crops has to be allocated for crickets.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: February 26, 2020 11:50PM

Crickets are all you hear after a GC talk.

Posted by: Al Bundy ( )
Date: February 27, 2020 06:49AM

messygoop Wrote:
> I seem to recall that a conference talk about the
> correct way to say the stupid church magazine
> Ensign. It all centered around the fact that many
> "ignorant" members called it En-sun. Even as a
> member, I thought the church was beyond dumb to
> call something that members couldn't say without
> confusion.
>
> They should have called it Golden, or Beacon or
> Rising Star.

Yes, but is it En-sign, En-zion, Un-seen, End-sign or Ent-sign? Do you use a Z sound? Personally, I like to say "On-seen", like it is a French word which rhymes with "magazine". Ensign Magazine is thus "on-seen mahgahzeen". Stress on the final syllables.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 27, 2020 07:16PM

how do folks with the Ew-tah twang pronounce "ignorant"?

if I remember correctly, ignorant is one of the tell-tale words (sounds) those folks have given us...

horse = harse
Washington = Warshington

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMBYs8z8SkQ

etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2020 07:21PM by GNPE.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 25, 2020 05:57PM

Lipstick, meet pig.

I think the church is really going to regret letting go of the "Mormon" and "LDS" labels. Now they will be just another Christian church with a really long, unmemorable name and too many requirements.

Date: February 25, 2020 06:02PM

Good point, summer.

Marketing Rule #1: Make yourself unique

Rule #2: Ensure your name is memorable

Rule #3: Keep your brand

Unless the brand is toxic - could be their problem; else why the major changes?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 25, 2020 11:55PM

O, ChurchCo, aka Mormons aka LDS, Inc. made themselves 'unique', alright...

But just not the way they planned!

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: February 26, 2020 02:59PM

Ha! There’s a reason the RLDS went to a shorter name and mainstreamed. That being said I don’t think it helped their growth numbers but they did get further away from that Mormon thing and they can make money selling their Mormon artifacts to the Salt Lake LDS.

Date: February 25, 2020 07:43PM

Ripe for the rename.

https://www.latterdaysaintcharities.org/about-us?lang=eng

I Elder Berry having been commissioned of The Church of Jesus Christ do give latterdaysaintcharities.org who is dead the new name - churchofjesuschristcharities.org.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2020 07:43PM by Elder Berry.

Date: February 26, 2020 03:03PM

Ha! Ha! All those who approve raise your hand. Are there any opposed?

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: February 26, 2020 11:00AM

One good side affect of changing the name of various semi-public/semi-religious organizations like the LDS Business College is that over time and with the changing of various laws and norms, the LDS Business College might become more 'business college' and less 'LDS', than it is now.

The bad thing is that the name change does hide the underlying culture of the controlling organization. That's where the lawsuits need to enter in. Sue them for every nuance until this college has a culture and rules that the Mormon church can no longer call their own. Eventually, non-mormon cultures, influences and interests may prevail at what was once the LDS Business College.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: February 26, 2020 11:12AM

Next, they need to change the name of the Book of Mormon. I vote for "Chloroform in Print" (a designation made by Mark Twain about the BOM)... yet another false testament of Jesus Christ. If they can change their name in enough places, maybe we won't recognize them as the same xenophobic, racist, sexually repressive and culturally twisted lieing cult that they really are.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: February 26, 2020 11:45AM

There’s always “Mad Magazine.”

Date: February 26, 2020 03:04PM

Perfect. Nelson is running the church like Alfred E. Neumann.

Date: February 26, 2020 02:55PM

Has crazy old Nelson stopped to think all this name changing is in vain unless he renames the Book of Mormon? He’s trying to scrub away the public image of the church. I don’t even know if he consciously realizes it but he’s desperately trying to scrub the dirt off. It’s impossible Russ. All you can do is dump Joseph Smith and start over.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: February 26, 2020 09:39PM

"The church whose name we dare not speak."

Posted by: Al Bundy ( )
Date: February 27, 2020 06:56AM

Nelson must have been really mad when Gordy handed his ass back to him all those years ago over the "Mormon" issue.

Talk about obsessed. No one remembers what to call MoTab anymore.

Is RMN a bit autistic? It would explain why he interferes in all these minor details like a pedant. He doesn't realise that all this Newspeak won't work anymore than calling polygamy "plural marriage" has.

Date: February 27, 2020 10:50AM

Autistic? No, he's a megalomaniac. He's obsessed with leaving his mark on LDS, Inc. He can't do anything constructive, so he tears down centuries old cornerstones. Just a self serving prick.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: February 27, 2020 07:15PM

You called it.

Being God's only true prophet, able to cancel old revelations and spin the deluded members any way you want, is too much for anyone to retain their integrity. I'd say Nelson took it further than most, although Kimball got seriously carried away as well.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.