Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: February 26, 2020 03:04PM

I heard this song on the radio today. Religion-gotta love it (?).

God Hates the Tips by Trevor Moore

God hates the tips of little baby's dicks
So if your kid's a male
Even though he'll scream and yell
You gotta cut it off or their little souls will burn in hell

Well way back in the beginning
God was making men and women
And the fish of the sea and the birds of song
He announced he made perfection
But on closer inspection he noticed that he left one piece a bit too long

So if your kid's a male
Even though he'll scream and yell
You gotta cut it off or their little souls will burn in hell

God gathered people's leaders
Said start snipping baby's wieners
This will be a sign of our love and covenant (Covenant!)
A few then went and raised objections
Saying they didn't see the connection
But he said "I'm God so none of this needs to make sense."

He told us "go cut 'em with the scalpel!
Go cut 'em with the scissors!
Or go and perform a metzitzah b'peh!"
And that's where the Rabbi sucks the blood
Out the baby's penis with his mouth
I swear to God that's a real thing go and Google it

Now today across the land
People still keep his commands
And children learn their first lesson right after birth (after birth!)
The ones who are supposed to protect them
Hold them down and painfully correct them
Then they smile and say "welcome to life on earth."

So take a little off the top
Because that's what God instructs
Unless it's not, and some ancient pervs just made it up
Unless it's not, and some ancient pervs just made it up

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: February 26, 2020 03:05PM

My favorite line:

"I'm God so none of this needs to make sense."

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: February 26, 2020 03:08PM

No offence meant, CrispingPin.

Kind of an inside comment. (I won't say "joke" as it wasn't the least bit funny the last time this topic came up).

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: February 26, 2020 03:42PM

Nightingale Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No offence meant, CrispingPin.
>
> Kind of an inside comment. (I won't say "joke" as
> it wasn't the least bit funny the last time this
> topic came up).

Ditto.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 26, 2020 03:10PM

I've said it before, I wish I hadn't had my son circumcised. I just thought that is what you did. I know, I'm really that dumb! when it comes to things like this. I'll never forget hearing him whimpering in his bassinet at the hospital and I checked his diaper and, sure enough, he had been circumcised. It was then, at that moment, I thought, "What the hell was I thinking?"

Date: February 26, 2020 03:26PM

cl2 Wrote:
> I just thought that is what you did.
> I know, I'm really that dumb! when it comes to
> things like this.

cl2: Give yourself a break. That *is* "what you did" at a time before the medical establishment altered course on their recommendations. And a time when it was severely frowned on to go against medical advice. Now we know better that we should (within reason) decide for ourselves what is best for us and our children.

You're not "dumb" because you did what the MDs advised at the time.

You've been through a great deal. You've made things work for yourself and your family. You are one tough survivor. Give yourself a high five for what you've achieved despite many obstacles.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 26, 2020 03:41PM

I tend to be circumspect when it comes any part of my Johnson! Or as we say In Mexico, mi Gonzalez.

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: February 26, 2020 05:17PM

I want my foreskin back!

Posted by: a-non ( )
Date: July 30, 2020 01:44PM

Posted by: Ted ( )
Date: February 26, 2020 05:21PM

I am like cl2..dumb. When my one and only son was a new born, they used the Plastibell Technique. He came home from the hospital with this device. It was supposed to take 10-14 days to "fall off", but after a few days his entire Gonzalez was becoming bluish and I rushed him back to the doctor. Long story short, the Plastibell technique malfunctioned and was cutting circulation off to his appendage. I had caught it just in time, and he was okay afterwards, but you know so unnecessary in the first place.

Date: February 26, 2020 05:33PM

Again, you are not "dumb" (nor is cl2 as I said above).

You went with the suggestion of medical personnel.

It takes time to learn that isn't always the best idea. Especially when mistakes or accidents happen.

Our own best defence is to be informed and to stay vigilant.

Your son is lucky, Ted, that you caught the problem in time. The consequences otherwise make me wince to imagine (and I'm female!)

Good going, Dad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2020 05:33PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: iceman9090 ( )
Date: February 26, 2020 09:29PM

"You went with the suggestion of medical personnel."

==Doctors in the USA are recommending cutting the penis? What on Earth for? From what I have seen, some babies have died, have had damaged organs bc of this unnecessary surgery.

Date: February 26, 2020 10:57PM

iceman9090 Wrote:
> "You went with the suggestion of medical
> personnel."
>
> ==Doctors in the USA are recommending cutting the
> penis? What on Earth for? From what I have seen,
> some babies have died, have had damaged organs bc
> of this unnecessary surgery.

According to Google, circumcision rates of [presumably newborn] boys in the USA:

30% of boys in 1900
55% of boys in 1925
72% of boys in 1950

This obviously does not include Jewish males, who are just about 100% circumcised because it is a requirement of halacha [Jewish law]. The overwhelming majority of Jewish males are circumcised as infants, as part of an important religious ceremony.

Males who convert to Judaism (at ANY point in their lives) must be circumcised (if they have not been previously circumcised), or must be "symbolically circumcised" (a single drop of blood is produced on the head of the penis, usually by means of a sterile surgical needle) if they begin the conversion process already circumcised.

For converts, this is usually done by a licensed M.D. who is cross-qualified as a mohel (Jewish circumciser), in an ordinary medical office, during regular office hours.

Date: February 27, 2020 04:20PM

No circumcision and not symbolically circumcised. I don't know why. I know we've talked about it. Then he went and has his son circumcised. I don't get it.

The reason I call myself dumb, Nightingale, is because my boyfriend's mother (who I don't like) chose not to have her sons circumcised. She felt that it was ridiculous to alter a child who had just been born. I do know I'm smarter than she is and yet I still did it. My brothers were and I was always queasy about it then and thought it was a stupid thing.

Many people say they do it because all the other kids are and also for hygiene reasons. It could very well have ended up that way. My husband would have insisted on it. His old boyfriend got circumcised in his 50s because he felt that other gays didn't like him not circumcised. He says it was a mistake.

I also did see a story on one of the news programs some years ago about a set of twin boys where they messed up one of their circumcisions to the point that they told the parents to raise the one son as a female. The doctor 'studied' them over the years and got them involved sexually with each other. The botched circumcision son has had a lot of psychological issues because of it and now lives as a man.

No point in cutting a perfect body.

I have to bring up the movie that was something like "One"--and Jack Black is in it. They talk about circumcision and about God coming to Abraham to talk about circumcision. It was actually quite hysterical--the story line.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2020 04:21PM by cl2.

Date: July 31, 2020 02:05PM

I do understad.

I assume your boyfriend's conversion was through Reform rabbi(s).

Reform Judaism does not require circumcision (or mikvah/"ritual immersion") for conversion...and I don't think they require a Beit Din [rabbinical court] either.

The potential problem might be in future interactions with Jews of other movements (Conservative, etc.) if a "halachic" [Jewish law] standard of conversion is required for [whatever]--and it would certainly be a likely problem if your boyfriend (and you?) decided to make aliyah to [immigrate to] Israel, because Reform conversions are not recognized in Israel when issues of Israeli law are in question.

(I don't know if your boyfriend's son's mother is Jewish. Since Judaism is passed down the maternal line ONLY--the lack of ritual circumcision could turn out to be an area of at least potential difficulty in that son's life, depending on his life choices, especially regarding his future marriage and/or making aliyah.)

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: July 31, 2020 12:19PM

"As worldwide opposition to routine circumcision grows, increasing numbers of Jewish people in Israel are deciding not to circumcise their sons. A well-researched article in the newspaper Haaretz (June 2013) reports the results of a survey conducted in 2006 which found that while nearly 5 per cent of respondents had not circumcised, fully a third (33 per cent) of parents would have preferred not to circumcise; they were persuaded by fear of social pressure."

https://www.circinfo.org/Jews_against_circumcision.html

Date: July 31, 2020 01:07PM

Date: February 26, 2020 11:03PM

Re drs' recommendations: I assumed Ted was talking about something that had happened in the past.

I bow to Tevai's knowledge about the Jewish aspect of this where it exists.

Posted by: Ted ( )
Date: February 27, 2020 03:01PM

Thank you Nightingale!

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: July 31, 2020 12:25PM

The cynic in me says especially when there is a chance to sadd profit to the bill. "Do you want fries with that."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.