Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: February 26, 2020 08:50PM

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/02/26/give-online-trolling-lent-pope-urges-catholics/

Pope Francis has issued a vibrant call on Catholics around the world to give up trolling on social media for Lent, saying believers should observe a fast not just of food but of online insults to get nearer to God in the run-up to Easter.

The Pope issued his appeal for more online decorum in an address to 12,000 people in St Peter's Square for his general audience on Ash Wednesday, the start of the 40-day season that leads up to Easter.

Lent, he said in remarks that were apparently off-the-cuff, "is a time to give up useless words, gossip, rumours, tittle-tattle and speak to the Lord on first name terms”.

"We live in an atmosphere polluted by too much verbal violence, too many offensive and harmful words, which are amplified by the internet," he said. "Today, people insult each other as if they were saying 'Good Day.’”

“Lent is a time to disconnect from cell phones and connect to the Gospel,” he added, saying that Catholics should imitate Jesus’ retreat to the desert and seek silence.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: February 26, 2020 09:08PM

I saw this on Twitter:
"I hope the Pope gives up protecting child molesters for Lent."

The Internet is a nasty mean place. He's got that right.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 26, 2020 09:32PM

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: February 27, 2020 03:16PM

Pope left himself wide open for that one, LOL.

I was going to give up candy, again, but I think I'll give up "tittle-tattle", instead.

Posted by: Concerned Citizen 2.0 ( )
Date: February 27, 2020 04:08PM

...that guy is a jackass. If you believe him, then believe the Stake President................same thing.......maybe better.

Posted by: Razortooth ( )
Date: February 27, 2020 04:49PM

I'm giving up lent for lent.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.