Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Al Bundy ( )
Date: February 27, 2020 07:08AM

He has hung on to his obsession with the word Mormon for decades now, even when GBH told him off about it. How else can we explain how he is eliminating Mormon and LDS root and branch?

Has anyone told him that changing your brand name like that is the classic tell of a cult or a pyramid scam? Like how Scientology markets itself under different names to draw people in? Or how the JWs have reworded their scriptures so they use words that only they do, and avois "cross" and "church".

Rusty has this intense pedantry and obsession with getting the members to use politically correct language about their church. He also has limited social awareness, like his audience with the Bishop of Rome recently.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 27, 2020 07:58AM

From what I can tell, he has normal brain functions. I work with autistic people and Rusty is merely an @$$h01e.

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: February 27, 2020 09:10AM

He certainly was that way with the people he worked with in his professional life. His behavior was not just that of an arrogant surgeon who expected his associates to adhere to his standards and expectations, he expected those he did not work with regularly to know his needs, wants, and expectations, and seemed to take great pleasure in humiliating people who did not know what he wanted. I know two people who worked with him during his professional career and both said he was quite an asshole.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 27, 2020 10:14AM

I think he's just a narcissistic asshole.

Most of my church leaders were from the same cesspool.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 27, 2020 11:17AM

I think LDS Inc's plans to downplay the BoM had its roots in the 1970s. the book is obviously and irreemably racist. They tried some rewording, but eventually realized that was not going to cut it.

They tried to drop the word "Mormon" back in the 1990s, but lost their nerve when they needed to come up with names for their websites. People were going to google "Mormon", so they decided to put that in their website names. That pretty much undercut the push by Oaks and the gang to not use the word.

They knew they had to bite the bullet sometime, and Rusty and the Q15 decided sometime is now. I think they have a 50 to 70 year plan to slowly ease the BoM into the basement and pretend they never heard of it, kind of like what they have done with the BoA. You don't hear much mention of that over the pulpit anymore.

Yes, Rusty seems to be kind of a jerk, but I doubt he is autistic. He does seem to be leading the charge on the name change, but I am pretty sure this has been in the works for decades, and half-hearted attempts have been made before, notably by GBH. This time it is not half-hearted. I still don't know if it will succeed, because they have no substitute for what to call people who are Mormons. Calling them "members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" is simply not going to cut it.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: February 27, 2020 03:18PM

You might be right. They are putting Jesus Christ front and center as never before. Nothing Joseph Smith did sells anymore. Let's just say it's a church trying to survive in a fast changing world that has old out of touch leaders running it. Not the best combination.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 27, 2020 04:08PM

Of course not.

Missionary work is mostly dead, save for a few places in Africa.

Anybody with access to google is staying clear.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: February 27, 2020 11:38AM

the names of things will work until a whole generation has died. My generation at least and some of my kids' generation. My daughter does well with the changes as she wasn't RAISED mormon. My parents would be in shock. My dad would be furious about the $100 billion. It would bother my mother A LOT, but she wouldn't tell her friends. My dad would. Most his friends weren't your TBM type.

Like others have said, I don't think he is autistic, but their other explanations of his behavior, which I hadn't heard before, tell quite the story.

I do type for doctors. I don't see the doctors these days, but I used to work at the hospital years ago. One doctor came in one day and his first statement to me was, "Do you know who I am!" I said I did, although I didn't. I found out later.

It is actually rather easy to get an idea of how a doctor acts by their dictation. If they act like they give a shit how they dictate and how it effects the person doing the transcribing, then they are usually a good doctor. One doctor we loved used to play classical music for us and ask us how we liked it. He'd talk to us and then thank us for transcribing his report at the end. My husband had 2 surgeries from this guy and I loved him in person, too.

Posted by: momjeans ( )
Date: February 27, 2020 03:58PM

> It is actually rather easy to get an idea of how a
> doctor acts by their dictation. If they act like
> they give a shit how they dictate and how it
> effects the person doing the transcribing, then
> they are usually a good doctor. One doctor we
> loved used to play classical music for us and ask
> us how we liked it. He'd talk to us and then
> thank us for transcribing his report at the end.
> My husband had 2 surgeries from this guy and I
> loved him in person, too.

Ex-transciptionist here and I second that. Looking for a good doctor? Ask a transcriptionist. While working in a larger hospital I had a doc come in and demand that I send him a copy of something. I said "And you are...?" I really didn't know and he had to tell me. I think he was quite miffed that someone didn't know who he was.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 27, 2020 11:47AM

Apostolistic means being obsessed with Jesus Christ in their teaching. Lips like sugar for Jesus, thought far from him.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: February 27, 2020 07:25PM

"I never knew you. Depart!"

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: February 27, 2020 11:49AM

How about “the people formerly known as Mormons”?

The main reason the church is beyond repair is bad management. Who put Rusty in charge? Who rubber stamps whatever hare-brained scheme that comes out of his 96 year old head?

Date: February 27, 2020 11:51AM

babyloncansuckit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Who put Rusty in charge?

His patient.

Date: February 27, 2020 11:58AM

He was drawing lines on the body of the church with a sharpie long before they made him boss. The church will will survive the surgery, but for how long?

Posted by: dorothynli ( )
Date: February 27, 2020 03:48PM

Longevity put him in charge.

Date: February 27, 2020 07:29PM

“Only the good die young” - Billy Joel

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: March 01, 2020 10:22AM

Elder Berry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> babyloncansuckit Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Who put Rusty in charge?
> According to the articles of incorporation of the corporation of the president of the church of Jesus Christ of latter day saints when the president dies the senior apostle automatically becomes president.
No voting!! No inspiration No nothing.
Just proceedure
>
>

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: February 27, 2020 11:53AM

To me the real question is - does Rusty really think he's God's mouthpiece or does he just consider himself the chief executive of a major corporation?

Date: February 27, 2020 11:54AM

Is there a difference?

Date: February 27, 2020 12:09PM

Probably doesn't matter except it would be interesting to know if he's delusional or is he in on the scam?

Date: February 27, 2020 12:11PM

Both.

Packer + Joju.

Their mantle is greater than their intellect so fake it till you make yourself believe in the scam.

100 Billion can't be wrong.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 27, 2020 03:54PM

Date: February 27, 2020 07:28PM

She drove him crazy, probably with forbidden lust.

What else could explain his enduring hatred for his own church?

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: February 27, 2020 11:55AM

Slightly OT, but what bugs me is the popup ads that DON'T mention "Latter-day Saints", so if you're not in the know, you see "Church of Christ"--if that sucks you in and you want more info, you're probably too embarrassed to tell the missionaries that show up "Now that I know you're Mormons, I'm not interested."

Posted by: rubicon ( )
Date: February 27, 2020 03:02PM

Something is wrong with Rusty. My mom actually rolled her eyes and said, Elder Nelson found someone crazy enough to be his trophy wife. My mom worked for years as a nurse. She never was all that wowed by physicians because she had to deal with their egos and saw some were pretty psychologically flawed. I think what I learned from my mom is to be cautious, slow to buy into the hype and be observant.

I think both Rusty and Oaks have viewed themselves as being smarter than most the church leaders. There is a sense of arrogance to them. For whatever reasons Rusty doesn't like the word Mormon it's his pet project. In the end it will just cost a bunch of money, create a lot of confusion and be of no real benefit to the church.

You can tell Rusty and his wife 30 years younger love being at the top of the heap. What they will leave in their wake will not be a stronger church but a confused church wondering what it is anymore.

Date: February 27, 2020 03:10PM

Simon Says isn’t that confusing. You just listen for “Simon says”.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 27, 2020 03:56PM

What I'm looking forward to is when Rusty is dead and Wendy has to live on as nothing of any importance to any of the mormons.

Date: February 27, 2020 07:35PM

She desperately wants to be ordained a high priest whie wearing her red power suit. That would be his legacy and her claim to everlasting fame.

Posted by: Mordor, not logged in ( )
Date: February 27, 2020 10:07PM

Back when Monson was seated on the red plush Iron Throne, his daughter Ann was installed as Hand of the King. When he died, Ann was quickly removed from her place and has essentially vanished. No one cares or thinks about her any longer.

And now Nelson sits in the comfy chair, with plural wife Wendy acting as Hand. It appears that Wendy actively defends and guards her position as sacred gatekeeper. No doubt she's well aware of the fates of those nearest the throne upon the King's demise, and her sole desire is to maintain her power for as long as humanly possible. The court intrigue must swirl thickly around the royal couple.

But her time in the Grey Keep is limited, and sooner or later the Dark Lord of House Oaks will ascend the Throne with his own plural wife Kristen chosen as Hand. I'll bet a gold dragon coin (or several) that Hand Wendy has made a fair number of enemies during her rule and that when her protector is gone, the knives will come out in force for retribution. Wendy, like Ann before her, will disappear from public view, soon to be forgotten under the new and terrible reign of King Dallin, First of His Name. Perhaps he'll elevate a fellow Dark Lord, he of House Bednar, to the Small Council.

How will we know if there was indeed a reckoning? A sure sign would be if Nelson's (probable) other plural wife Sheri, the Unsullied, were suddenly to "retire" as Grand Khaleesi of the lifeless arid waste of Dezhurett Bûk with all of Wendy’s malignant manuscripts removed as well.

The King is dead! Long live the King!

Date: February 27, 2020 10:18PM

Wow! You have nailed the Mighty 15 Game of Thrones. Be careful Wendy. Winter is coming.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 27, 2020 06:26PM

silly question;

this would hinge on a medical diagnosis which Mr. Profit Nelson would NEVER DISCLOSE.

Posted by: pogie ( )
Date: February 27, 2020 06:40PM

I went to a fireside where she spoke we all knew he would do away with MORMON he was an ass back then as well

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: February 27, 2020 07:41PM

Rusty's not autistic, it's simply a case of, "with great power comes great big ego inflation." And his was over-inflated before he became the Profit.

Posted by: montanaexmo ( )
Date: February 27, 2020 10:32PM

He's a cardiac surgeon for god's sake.

Posted by: Wowza ( )
Date: February 28, 2020 05:01AM

I legit think he is a high functioning psychopath. That fits in with him being a great surgeon, his extremely high opinion of himself and his love of praise.

Posted by: Ted ( )
Date: February 28, 2020 02:32PM

No, he's "artistic"...very talented in finding knew ways of screwing the gullible out of their money. It's an art form.

Posted by: Deb's son ( )
Date: February 29, 2020 02:27PM

Not likely although possible. High functioning autistics can be extremely intelligent. Many people w autistic traits do not have a dignosis. Besides having strong interests that they follow diligently, they generally don't like change and prefer similar routines.

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: March 01, 2020 01:38PM

He's probably a narcissist in that he loves praise, and being in a position of power. Mormonism tends to be a haven for that type of personality disorder as they get a huge ego boost from the priesthood.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.