Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: March 12, 2020 06:47PM

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2020/03/12/lds-church-suspends-all/?fbclid=IwAR361SpM-APUPwEU6C2NAFZNB4Rn461Hty0M9elwpF-kDVOhW3tbE0X54Vs

To help combat the coronavirus pandemic, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is suspending public gatherings of church members worldwide “until further notice,” the Utah-based faith said in a statement Thursday.

That includes Sunday services and midweek activities for more than 30,000 congregations across the globe, not just in the faith’s Beehive State headquarters.

“Beginning immediately, all public gatherings of church members are being temporarily suspended worldwide until further notice,” the Salt Lake City-based faith announced in a news release. "This includes: stake conferences, leadership conferences and other large gatherings; all public worship services, including sacrament meetings; local congregational activities of branches, wards and regional stakes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Insanitee ( )
Date: March 12, 2020 06:50PM

“Woohoo! Freedom from the cult!” Exmo me thinks, but doesn’t say out loud, to my tbm wife, upon hearing the news.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: March 12, 2020 06:53PM

as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in joy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2020 06:55PM by lurking in.

Posted by: Warrior71783 ( )
Date: March 13, 2020 01:43AM

I bet the children that hate the religion are rejoicing right now just to have a break from the nonsense.

Date: March 13, 2020 01:49AM

With this break a few people's brains might start to click on. Maybe. God works in mysterious ways they say. Its a one in a million chance that a member stops chanting and studies their religions history for real.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 12, 2020 07:01PM

There is a God. I'm traveling to Central America with my wife and daughter in a couple of days and I was supposed to go to church on Sunday with them. LOL! God heard my prayer and answered it with a virus.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 12, 2020 07:06PM

What a shock! This is what is shocking me, how many things are being canceled. It took THIS to get meetings to be canceled.

Good luck on your travels. Post when you can so we know you are doing okay.

Date: March 12, 2020 07:14PM

Yes and thank you.

We are spending money we don't have because of the generous offer of a convert of my daughter. Who knows what we are walking into but at least not a church! LOL!

I'm type from the land Bountiful when I get a chance and let you know if I run into any of the 3 Nephites stomping around their home ground keeping Corona at bay.

Date: March 13, 2020 11:15AM

We aren't going now. Our hosts don't want us to come. We might be hosting something.

Posted by: Deb's son ( )
Date: March 12, 2020 11:09PM

Don't wanna lose those precious tithe payers!

Posted by: TonyS ( )
Date: March 12, 2020 07:11PM

Mormons are already praising this move.

Not because they don't have to go to church, but because the prophet was inspired to switch everything over to home study and change over to ministering to be ready for this event.

It only strengthens their faith.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: March 13, 2020 03:09AM

Been hearing exactly that from my TBM relatives. One Steven said Nelson saw this coming and prepared us for it! Anyways, I hope many realize how nice it is to have church shut down and won’t return when it opens back up.

Posted by: Flyer ( )
Date: March 14, 2020 05:23PM

Hey, of course they're praising it! They've gotten formal instructions to stay home and not have to go into a 2-3 hour marathon of meetings every week. Yippee!!!!

Looks like the leaders are especially gung-ho about doing online proselyting, going all out on their facebook pages. Although as with most large orgs, they most likely don't do their own posting, they have some staff member do it. It's kind of fun to see what people are posting in reply. Is it just members engaging or do they have missionaries set apart for that?

https://www.facebook.com/russell.m.nelson/
https://www.facebook.com/dallin.h.oaks/?ref=py_c
https://www.facebook.com/mrussell.ballard/?ref=py_c
https://www.facebook.com/jeffreyr.holland/?ref=py_c
https://www.facebook.com/henry.b.eyring/?ref=py_c

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 12, 2020 07:14PM

Why didn't ghawd have plans ready for doing all his shitty-shit-shit online? Obviously he knew this was coming, right! And surely he would have told his reps... Hmm, maybe he leaves it up to them to question him? Like when he let the White racists running the church have their way regarding who got to have the priesthood all the way up until pressure was put on these leaders and they apparently decided to ask him. Kind of paints ghawd as a bit of dick!

When you examine the situation, ghawd gives the church leaders all kinds of Free Agency, which they then keep all for themselves...

I remain proud of my mormon heritage, courtesy of Nacorzari, Sonora, Mexico, home of the Heroe de Nacorzari, Jesus Garcia.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: March 12, 2020 07:33PM

Once members get a taste of freedom from Sunday drudgery, will only the truest of believers ever return?

Date: March 12, 2020 07:37PM

We now have a precedent: you can miss church if you have a good enough excuse and still be okay with ghawd. The next step is for the members to realize that they can make that call themselves, in conjunction with their earnest prayers to heavenly father:

"Oh ghawd, please let me know if catching up on my sleep, so that I will remain strong and healthy, is what I should do this Sunday morning..."

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: March 12, 2020 07:51PM

Date: March 12, 2020 07:54PM

they can do it all online! Sign onto CelestialRewards.org, log into your account, dribble-drabble your money here and there, and everyone is happy!

Church of Jesus Christ of Lets Not Touch

Date: March 13, 2020 03:28AM

Of course the money can be left at your bishops front porch. Money before people. Whats a person besides just a number anyways? We don't know their names. We only know the ben franklins name.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: March 12, 2020 08:07PM

Wow. Well that's something I've never seen before.

Date: March 12, 2020 08:37PM

Yep, everyone will do as the prophet has instructed.

Way to go all you faithful former exmos! You're a 'mo' this Sunday, living in full compliance with the word of the prophet.

Gud on ya, mate!

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: March 13, 2020 11:42AM

We weren’t inactive, we were just ahead of the curve.

Date: March 13, 2020 11:48AM

Early adopters of the new technology of believing the google more than the Gadianton Robbers in SLC.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: March 12, 2020 09:00PM

The question is are tbms suppose to still be paying tithing? The letter should have said they are suspending that as well as a measure of good will to humanity for many years to come.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 12, 2020 09:20PM

Ha ha ha!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 12, 2020 09:20PM

Every Sunday of my damn childhood was lost to those damn meetings. I hope they go broke.

Date: March 13, 2020 02:17PM

Same.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: March 12, 2020 11:40PM

Does this mean that ChurchCo will stop all the philanthropic work it does?

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: March 13, 2020 01:37AM

The what now?

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: March 12, 2020 11:51PM

MormonInc better use some of their money and at least help out their members because we all know they definitely won't help out the non Mormons.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 13, 2020 12:40AM

They're cutting out the middleman (bishops). Just send your tithing dollars directly to headquarters.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: March 13, 2020 01:46AM

Better pay it online, lest you sneeze on your check.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 13, 2020 04:03AM

The church shut down all services almost exactly 190 years ago.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 13, 2020 06:33AM

It's a sensible move, but my guess is that church authorities made the decision before the members could decide for themselves.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: March 13, 2020 07:09AM

SAVED BY THE VIRUS!!! Meetings were shut down just before those disruptive members stood up in their row and demanded to know why BYU shat on gay students.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 13, 2020 10:12AM

Right. All that teaching about how IMPORTANT church is and how God will protect them to do His work is revealed as BS.

I guess church activity isn't that important after all since a virus has more power. A virus can disrupt the church, but the church cannot fight the virus except by shutting down. Go figure. So much for the power of faith.

When results actually matter, religious BS takes a back seat.

Posted by: nli ( )
Date: March 13, 2020 11:00AM

Make a guess at how many of the faithful will still dress up in their Sunday best, white shirtt and all, and gather the family in the living room, have an opening prayer, sing a hymn, and Dad will bless the home-made sacrament...

My guess is about a third of those who would have gone to church.

Posted by: Lowpriest ( )
Date: March 14, 2020 05:43PM

like an expanded home-study program.

I predict the church will emphasize the need to increase family meetings and provide a website to report.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: March 14, 2020 05:46PM

They will have online sacramental prayers. Get your own bread and water out and play the MP3.

Posted by: ipo ( )
Date: March 15, 2020 07:31PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.