Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: March 13, 2020 08:33PM

I have Mormon friends who are Amazing human beings, despite the fact they're like I was, deeply committed to the faith we inherited, to the point where they're able to ignore the fact that they send their kids off to a University named after a sexual predator who ordered the massacre of hundreds of settlers at Mountain Meadows. And they sing the praises of Joseph's Myth, knowing he ha abused his obscene amount of power over his followers, he convinced them he was a God. So they allowed him to rape their teenage daughters and even their wives.
I am easily triggered into that conversation.
But this one friend of mine college chum, is an ER Dr, who saved my ExMo Fathers life, twice. He is a great guy who has written far more than me about ALL the problems of Mormonism, the sex abuse abuse by Smith and Young, the DNA problems. Book of Abraham, but still sends his lids off on missions and to BYU.
He realizes its impossible and doesn't add up, but he just ignores it, unless I bring it up.
As a result, we see each other on FB and not a lot on real life.
He knows how I feel.
I know how he feels.
When we meet on mountains, we are still best of friends, and still brothers.
We find our common ground where we have always found it, not in valleys of darkness, but on mountaintops.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2020 08:36PM by schrodingerscat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: March 13, 2020 08:51PM

I work with some amazing Mormons, many of whom put distance between themselves and bigoted church teachings. Individual Latter-day Saints are people, people deserve respect. However, the dystopian system known as The Mormon Church deserves to be called out on its bullshit.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: March 13, 2020 09:17PM

They don’t deserve the church they have and they can’t improve it without risking disciplinary action.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: March 13, 2020 09:52PM

My true friends helped me in spite of my disbelief.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.