Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: March 16, 2020 03:18AM

she had heard if you get the corona virus and manage to survive it, you are then immune - for LIFE. Has anybody else heard this? It's almost like a penlight at the end of the tunnel.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 16, 2020 03:25AM

That seems unlikely to me. COVID-19 is a typical RNA virus and hence will mutate quite frequently. Having had the disease may give one a low level of protection but, as with the flu, we will probably be dealing with different versions of the basic virus for as long as it is present in humans. And also like influenza, each new strain will probably require new vaccinations that are more or less successful in any given year.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: March 16, 2020 03:57AM

Well, DRAT! It seemed like such a nice thing to hear, after waves and waves of discouraging stuff. . .

That's what I get for having stubbornly insisting on being a linguistics major. No major benefits (if you don't count being able to do the same job in multiple languages, which I always enjoyed!)

Science and math, from elementary school on, were absolute no-goes for me. They made no sense whatsoever. Still don't. I was dragged,kicking and screaming, through the required ones, (learning virtually nothing in the process) whose sole virtue was being there on my transcript for graduation.

I hear there are intriguing new ways to teach science and math to people whose brains are wired like mine. I would be interested to see evidence.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: March 16, 2020 10:21PM

I would say that a better way to teach those talented in the humanities would be to teach math and science from a historic perspective. Mix the history with the numbers, Sir Isaac Newton's life in 1600s and how he developed physics and calculus. It's facinating history. Then move on down the line teach Calculus by talking about Euler and Fermat and the stories of working for Catherine the Great, or whoever the queen of Russia was. and the frozen castle, the winter castle. And then move on down the line about Einstein and the 3rd riech, and secret codes in England that became computers. All during the blitz.

The trouble is public school teachers suck! They don't make anything interesting. Granted they have their arms tied with the common core edict. But Math and Science taught right is captivating.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 07, 2020 12:09PM

Really? My wife is a younger grade school teacher. Your suggestions are ridiculous. And common core is a guideline not a set of rules. She is more hijacked by district policies than some grand scheme of common core.

You know nothing of education methinks? It is so easy to judge it from a distance - it looks cruel and mean and the details don't matter.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 07, 2020 01:12PM

Maca, you missed your calling to be a teacher (since you seem to care so much about public education.) You also appear to have missed somewhere between 4-6 years of college, and perhaps even the better part of the third grade.

Posted by: Veritas ( )
Date: March 16, 2020 07:59AM

Are you immune to the flu every time it comes round? Course not. I have caught the flu a number of times. Maybe I have some advantage from the previous occasions and antibodies from my mother, but I still get it. Unlike scarlet fever, this disease hasn't been around long enough to mutate into a milder form (since from an evolutionary standpoint, it is good for it to spread - if it kills too many of its victims, it becomes extinct.)

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: March 16, 2020 02:01PM

Scarlet fever hasn't so much mutated to a less serious form. It's just that antibiotics are available to effectively treat it - for the most part, anyway.

I realize this wasn't the main point of your post.

Posted by: Grits ( )
Date: March 16, 2020 08:15AM

I did hear this on tv yesterday. Not sure what I was listening to but most likely MSNBC and some of the talking heads with the experts. And they said getting it certainly protected you from getting it again in the next 12-18 months but were thinking it could be life protection from re-infection. That would be a good thing. We will know in a few years.

Posted by: cl2(notloggedin) ( )
Date: March 16, 2020 10:15AM

The doctor on the Today show said that you do develop an immunity to it, but they do not know how long that immunity lasts. He said if you get it now and get over it, you aren't going to immediately get it again.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: March 16, 2020 01:48PM

I thought vets took the same biology classes as MDs. Hell, my high school biology, in which I got only a C, taught me enough to know this vet is wrong. Good things she's not working on humans.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 16, 2020 02:32PM

...you should avoid anyone who is related to or lives with a “Worker in touch w/ the Public”.

All ‘first responders’, grocery store & restaurant workers, health care workers, etc., because the worker will bring home the virus, give it to family and friends, and then you, thinking that the spouse or kids, because they are home bound, are ‘safe’, get close enough for the virus to jump on you!

Until you can be reliably immunized, trust no one.

OR...

On the other hand, to get things back to normal ASAP, stop the self-sequestering, let everybody catch it and the 92% who live through it can have their normal lives back in a month, tops, and get back to work.

Interesting, isn’t it?

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: March 17, 2020 08:27PM

And how old are you, Olddog?

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: March 16, 2020 02:35PM

I have heard of at least one case where the patient, a younger man, recovered from a confirmed case of COVID but then became ill again and tested positive, again, a few weeks later.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2020 02:36PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: March 16, 2020 02:52PM

Nightingale Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have heard of at least one case where the
> patient, a younger man, recovered from a confirmed
> case of COVID but then became ill again and tested
> positive, again, a few weeks later.

I read this also (and I believe this happened in more than one case, but still--I think--in single digits).

Those who are dealing professionally with this disease are very actively concerned about this happening.

"We" (means: the entire medical professional and scientific spectrum) still don't know enough to be sure.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: March 16, 2020 03:23PM

Do we have anyone here who can answer the question as to whether it is more likely that there was a false positive involved or that he actually reacquired the disease?

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: March 16, 2020 03:41PM

From what I read about it, they thought it might be testing errors, but they weren't sure.

Date: March 16, 2020 02:37PM

Without a reliable income, many people will stop buying anything but the necessities.

When advertisers realize that an advertising budget no longer produces sale/income, they will stop spending, and online ‘influencers’ and bloggers will have their income streams reduced or eliminated.

Would that be good or bad for the general public?

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: March 17, 2020 11:58AM

1918 was a bad year for the flu. 1919 was ok. Then came the roaring 20s. Maybe the economy will get a bump. People will do real work instead of watching cat videos or posting on RfM.

Date: March 17, 2020 12:01PM

Quite the opposite.

The 1920s were a fundamentally unjustified bull market during which massive asset bubbles inflated. Those burst in 1929, inaugurating a depression.

The last several years have likewise brought the inflation of asset bubbles that COVID-19 has burst. If history is any guide, a lot of people won't have anything to do but watch cat videos and post on RfM for years into the future.

Date: March 17, 2020 02:39PM

Some of us get paid big bucks to post here!

Lot's Wife still gets paid by the word (like Dickens!), which probably explains a lot. Steve Benson's 'by the word' contract expired and CZ didn't renew it, so ...

Date: March 17, 2020 02:44PM

Moi? Prolix?

Heaven forefend!

Posted by: CZ did nothing of the sort. ( )
Date: July 07, 2020 02:42AM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 07, 2020 02:46AM

I get paid by the number of times I hit, "refresh."

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 16, 2020 03:23PM

It's too soon to tell.

Posted by: MnRN ( )
Date: March 16, 2020 05:36PM

Wrong. There hasn't been time to do reliable research yet, according to prominent epidemiologists. Scientific resources are being directed to those fighting the disease now, which is the right thing to do.

Posted by: jc ( )
Date: March 16, 2020 10:58PM

Today I happened to turn on the radio. Dr. Michael Savage had just begun his program. He said he was quoting from a JAMA article that the main stream press has ignored.

He sounded the WARNING.

The article was about 4 post-infected and recovered medical professionals in China. After they appeared normal again there were no traces on their lungs of the virus (he might have said what type of xray etc. was used, I just don't remember).

All 4 seemed they had past the worst. Several days later tests were performed and they still seemed okay physically.

BUT all 4 still tested positive for the virus without other symptoms.

MEANING they were or could still be contagious after thinking they were over and finished with the virus.

If this is established in more studies then it has horrific consequences: people thinking they can mingle again and perhaps still infect others.

We'll see what happens.

Savage was sounding the alarm with all kinds of new information. I suppose if you want to listen to it you could download his podcast from the first hour of today's show 3/16/2020.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: March 17, 2020 03:35PM

I would take what Michael Savage says with a grain or more of salt. He's a bit of a conspiracy theorist.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 17, 2020 12:16AM

There are already different strains of COVID19. Which one will get YOU ?

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: March 17, 2020 12:14PM

Finally, a pestilence worse than Mormonism.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 07, 2020 02:54AM

I wish I was Immune to DJT, but I'm not.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 07, 2020 10:57AM

I heard that you are not immune and you can get it again.

Date: July 07, 2020 12:45PM

I cannot reveal my source, but take it as gospel that if you can get a werewolf to french-kiss you under a full moon, you will be ultra-resistant to covid-19, covid-20 and covid-21. But after that, the effect wears off.

Would I lie?

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: July 08, 2020 11:26AM

We won't know until we are dead, and even then, we won't care.

I've made it this far - so far - and I'm going all the way!

The important thing is to breathe deeply and relax wholeheartedly, eat healthy, sleep soundly, bring and broadcast happiness wildly, learn and forget, whenever you can, and... Oops, I forgot what else: oh yeah, Don't Worry, Be Happy.

Don't get Coronavirus. It might get you but Try, Try, & Try again NOT to become a Covid-1984 carrier. A mail carrier is okay though.

Carry on :)

Wash your hands in a high mountain stream. Not everybody's doing it so it should be pretty safe.

Stand on your head. The virus can't get that low. Stilts work too. Not many 10 foot tall people (The Tallest Man On Earth [band]) [4 feet higher than recommended].

Stay in the bath all the time. Bubbles. Hot H2O! Hot Springs. Relaxation... Ahh

P.S. Avoid Nursing Homes (whenever possible), meatpacking plants, (Amazon-esque) warehouses, church choirs, dance clubs, crowded bars, jails/ "'detention' centers", [some] public spaces...

Stay STRONG
Live Long

Don't Worry
Be Happy

:)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.