Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Regularreaderlimitedposteranon ( )
Date: March 22, 2020 10:24AM

In the midst of this major crisis, my stake president sends out the following email to all the priesthood holders in our stake. What an admission this is. Instead of girding up our loins, taking up the shield of the Priesthood, and going out to fight the evil of the coronavirus, we shelter in place and look to the medical professionals for guidance. What good is this special power, President?

"Brethren,

The need has come to give you some guidance regarding administering to the sick through priesthood blessings. The stake's recommendations are as follows:

- If anyone requesting a blessing exhibits possible COVID-19 symptoms, they should be asked to go to their physician before a blessing is given or anyone comes in contact with them.

- If the physician is unable to rule out COVID-19, we suggest that they be prayed for in faith but remain isolated from others as much as is possible. No one should enter the home to provide a priesthood blessing.

- If their symptoms become serious, please encourage them to go to the hospital for treatment.

- Unfortunately, the hospital director informed us today that patients admitted with COVID-19 will not be able to receive any visitors.

Brethren, please remember that if you are the only Melchizedek Priesthood holder in your home that you can both anoint and seal the anointing by yourself if needed (See Administering to the Sick). A second person is not required.

We understand that each situation is unique and encourage you to use your best judgment. However, stopping the spread of COVID-19 and maintaining the safety of others should be our first priority. We are certain that the Lord will honor the prayers of those exercising priesthood power and authority on behalf of the sick under these conditions.

With love and apprecition,President XXXXXX" (typo is his)

Please feel free to share this on other boards.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: March 22, 2020 10:47AM

If you believe the story of Jesus, he healed anyone who came to him and needed a healing. It wasn't conditional, the people were just instantly healed.

TSCC claims they have the very same priesthood that existed in Jesus' time. I can trace my priesthood authority back to Jesus in 10 steps, but it would be an understatement to say that my experiences were different than the story of Jesus. I administered to many people in my life. Most of them got better, to varying degrees, but nothing that ever happened was outside of the normal range of expected outcomes.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 22, 2020 10:49AM

And there is no need for 2 men to give the blessing? He didn't say if women could.

This is a cop out.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: March 22, 2020 11:03AM

That stake president needs a reply somewhere along the lines of :"Oh ye of little faith".

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 22, 2020 11:07AM

On a bright note, he is displaying common sense.

Posted by: Lowpriest ( )
Date: March 28, 2020 09:21AM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> On a bright note, he is displaying common sense.

Yes. It sounds promising.

As silly as some of their beliefs are, I applaud anyone who shows the courage to give helpful advice in spite if the fact that it may generate criticism in their own ranks.

I recall a former bishop giving blessings to the sick who would always include counsel to listen to the doctors. He would also say that he was blessing the doctors on behalf of the person being blessed.

Nonsense, but I welcome it anyway if it gets people to see their doctor.

Posted by: Birdman ( )
Date: March 22, 2020 11:23AM

My recall on Mormon legend isn't great since I'm many years removed. However, I do recall something about Joseph Smith being incredibly ill and arising from his sick bed to administer blessings to the sick.

So much for their propaganda and BS. Obviously, prayer doesn't cure illness, medicine and science cures illness.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: March 22, 2020 11:31AM

The stake president understands that the modern church has given up on Jesus and has become a money making scam. The priesthood doesn’t work if you don’t believe it, which he doesn’t.

So screw trying to be like Jesus. Take the 30 pieces of silver instead.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 22, 2020 12:35PM

Religion has been completely useless for this type of thing when it comes to combating the disease. Sure, people feel better with blessings and god woo which certainly has value for them.

However, the downside is that religious contact can exacerbate the problems for all of us when people think God is going to protect them.
Number 1, it shows the faith claims are bogus.
Number 2, it hinders scientific recommendations which are based on actual data.
Number 3, it doesn't help when people internalize religious teachings then have to spin to explain why they ignore them when push comes to shove. The die-hard believers may not defer to science like their leaders who know better.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: March 22, 2020 01:03PM

He’ll be released real soon.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: March 22, 2020 01:16PM

But as usual, for many religious folks, it will be the work of the devil and it will all be the signs of the times.

For many Evangelicals, it will be, "Jesus is coming soon!"

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: March 22, 2020 01:50PM

IMO, anyone's sincere, humble prayer to God is valid in His eyes. What a world it would be if only p'd had control over blessings.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 22, 2020 02:02PM

Who sets apart an SP and how others have lay their hands on his head?

And when they all catch "it" how will they figure who was the carrier?

Posted by: S. Richard Bellrock ( )
Date: March 22, 2020 02:08PM

It's almost like the Church is a for profit corporation--
"No Priesthood coverage for you, you have a pre-existing condition.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 22, 2020 02:44PM

I speculated a week ago that this would happen to "administering to the sick". I see no way they could come to any other decision.

In fact, I bet GAs setting apart stake presidents and mission presidents will be keeping their distance as well. This of course demonstrates that it was all just theater anyway. There was never any need for touching, or oil, or any of that.

Theater, pure and simple.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: March 22, 2020 09:46PM

In olden times mothers would assist in blessing family members.

In his Answers to Gospel Questions Church President Joseph Fielding Smith quoted Joseph Smith as saying there is no more sin in a woman giving a blessing to the sick than in her laying a wet cloth on their head.

Of course the words and actions of previous profits doesn't mean a thing to mormons today.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: March 23, 2020 03:03AM

Simon says throw all of the previous prophets under the bus.

Rusty: I could get used to this.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 23, 2020 04:32AM

Their greatest fear is that someone is going to catch it and it will "travel" up the magical priesthood chain. As if it's going to wipe out every penis holder all the way to Brother Wendy.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: March 23, 2020 05:32PM

I saw how powerful the priesthood was when my wife had lung cancer and all the bishoop could do was give her a blessing that said it was all right for her to die!!!!!
So much for priesthood healing power

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2020 04:56PM by thedesertrat1.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: March 23, 2020 06:05PM

As long as the priesthood holder carries a poisonous snake with him to the afflicted persons house, he'll be fine.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: March 23, 2020 06:10PM

What I read:

"The Priesthood blessing is a cute gimmick and we've had fun doing it for many years, but now by giving one you are running the risk of it backfiring. Not only will the blessing not work as they never do, but you could get sick and die. This virus is stronger than Melchisedek ever was."

"I know common sense is against Mormon tradition, but hey, let's give it a try just this once."

Posted by: Jacko Mo Mo ( )
Date: March 23, 2020 06:24PM

After watching the special post 9/11 broadcast at a stake center I came away depressed and disappointed at the nothingness provided. I'm not sure what I expected but it was sad how it revealed how ordinary, powerless, and just like everybody else they all were.

Posted by: Darksparks ( )
Date: March 24, 2020 12:49PM

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: March 24, 2020 05:00PM

In my 84 years on this planet I have yet to see anyone recover from a disease from which they would not have otherwise recovered because of a "priesthood blessing"
There is no power there!!

Posted by: zelphtheapostate ( )
Date: March 24, 2020 10:28PM

The Power of the Priesthood Blessing is the same power as that of the Placebo.

All depends on the belief of the receiver.

In regard to a virus, the HG is running away saying 'Unclean! Unclean!"

A good friend of mine texted me earlier:

"The current pandemic stems from heaven. Old testament god pushed New testament Jesus aside and said watch this, ill show you how its done!"

Posted by: Warrior71783 ( )
Date: March 24, 2020 11:12PM

THANK YOU! NO HEALING POWER ADMISSION FINALLY!

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: March 26, 2020 09:11PM

So if Jesus were on earth still, even in his fully mortal state, would he choose to not give blessings to the sick out of fear of catching their disease himself? Where is the faith of these church leaders?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.