Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: March 22, 2020 04:01PM

It's official folks!

Utah is the numero uno state when it comes to hoarding and panic buying. This is from KSL news.

Why does this not surprise me?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Warrior71783 ( )
Date: March 22, 2020 04:10PM

Idaho is probably number 2. Theres no bread on the any shelves right now. After TP went the bread.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 22, 2020 04:13PM

My plumber claims he is number one in the number two business.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: March 22, 2020 04:13PM

Serious question: Why do they have to panic buy? I thought they had food storage?

(Although I can relate to "panic" and urges to follow the crowd and fear in the face of the scary unknown).

But surely this would be a time to live your faith by relying on the oft-touted principles of preparation and prayer - or something like that.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: March 22, 2020 04:23PM

Nightingale, I think it has to do with Mormon bunker mentality -- There will be great calamities and the Elders of Zion will need to step in when the civil government collapses and "The Constitution hangs by a thread." Stay safe and healthy!

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: March 22, 2020 04:19PM

Utah always has to be #1 in SOMETHING. Either that, or "world famous."

Other than TP, and the usual shortages seen elsewhere, stores have plenty of fresh food and folks are social distancing when shopping.

To Utahns's credit, I haven't seen reports of uncivil behavior. And, our freeway driving has actually improved. Now that is a certified miracle!

Posted by: lachesis ( )
Date: March 29, 2020 03:01PM

This cracks me up. I keep seeing the sheeple post that meme about how lucky they are that they had prophets who prepared them for this day and have been telling them for decades to have storage and be preppers. Sounds like they weren't prepared. So what good is their old geezer "prophet?" Our stores our out of TP but I haven't seen anything like the news stories I see out of places like Utah. I did finally break down and go to Kroger a week ago. Yes, I had to wait in line for 20 minutes. Would have been less if I'd done self-checkout. Some things were gone, but there was plenty of staples, milk, bread, meat, coffee, cat food, etc. We have empty isles where the paper products are but I haven't seen any other isles that seem all that empty.

So glad to be far away from Moville during this time. The Evangelicals aren't nearly as bad. That may be because they are all singing that song from Shrek the Musical, "I know it's today," and they don't want to waste too much money on stocking up cause that rapture is any day now.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 23, 2020 12:32AM

Alberta is going apeshit for TP and pasta too.

Posted by: Elizabeth S. ( )
Date: March 29, 2020 01:57AM

My son saw Guards at Costco, in Okotoks,Alberta; they were guarding the toilet paper, wipes and hand sanitizer.
The customers could take one with each purchase to help others.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: March 29, 2020 11:35AM

Elizabeth S. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My son saw Guards at Costco, in Okotoks,Alberta;
> they were guarding the toilet paper, wipes and
> hand sanitizer.
> The customers could take one with each purchase to
> help others.
Good plan on Costso's part

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 23, 2020 03:22AM

Humans are Pack Animals, almost afraid to act or be by ourselves.

IOW, herd mentality; if numbers of others weren't panic buying wouldn't we rather be pleasuring our patner (and ourself, ha ha) or getting high on life, white-water rafting, hot air balloon, fishing, or maybe train-spotting (me!)

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: March 23, 2020 10:12AM

If you go to the store in Utah, remember they are going to be shopping the way they drive---signaling is giving away your game plan.

Take what you want immediately. Do not stop to consider if you actually want an item. Your attention to it will spotlight it for someone else.

Hand sanitizer, bleach, soaps, water and TP go first followed by rice, pasta, peanut butter. Next all the fresh meat goes. Canned tuna, canned salmon, and sardines, and eggs and bread.

We had trouble getting coffee for a while, so at least you should be good there.

The good news is no one is panic buying caviar yet and you can generally find all the lobster you want. :)

We have been finding roast chickens quite easily during the panic here in SoCal. I had chicken broth to boil the bones and make soup but now can't find the broth.

We have senior hour at the stores first thing in the morning. So lucky to able to get in those lines but then it keeps ringing in my head that seniors have the most risk. Oh geez. That's me. Fun!

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: March 23, 2020 11:10AM

Not only that, the hoarding mormons are socially reckless and stupid. Last night, 1600 missionaries, from the Philippines for god's sake, returned to the SLC airport. The missonaries were told to self isolate. They didn't, nor did their families that mobbed everyone, group hugs, Today, State leaders had to issue warnings and "expressed disappointment". Irresponsible D-Bags. I like the suggestion to put a few of the old geezer GA's in the middle of the crowds and bringing the National Guard to the airport. Morons!

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/03/23/live-coronavirus-updates/

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: March 23, 2020 11:18AM

State leaders don’t believe in magic underwear.

Date: March 23, 2020 11:21AM

Both our Governor, Lt. Governor and 90% of our State lawmakers are good mormons. That's why they won't be aggressive. "The" church just took a PR hit (again).

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: March 23, 2020 11:31AM

Kudos to the mishies for not heeding their faithless leaders. There may be hope for this generation.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 23, 2020 11:15AM

Cereal is a big item here in Utah, too. There is some in the stores now, but it wasn't that way for a few days after all this started. I haven't checked the local store recently though. That store was stripped. Bread has started to show up regularly in Sam's (at least it was there yesterday and a week ago).

TP, I haven't seen any except a few times in peoples' carts. I have some and I can get some from my son's boss. They are a restaurant and said they'd sell us anything they have especially TP. Sam's has put bottled water on the TP shelves. My daughter's ex-fiance works there and he said they only get TP shipments 3 times a week.

It really does make you want to run right out and find some, though, wondering if you'll run out before there is some available.

For Nightingale, if she sees this, Most mormons I believe don't have food storage like they are supposed to and so now they are feeling like they have failed and have to make up for it immediately. I can't imagine, like my neighbor, having to have enough TP for 6 kids and my spouse and I. As my son says, seems like a lot of people have never been poor. Oh yes, we learned hoW to live without a lot of things for a long time, but TP usually not. We found substitutes.

Date: March 23, 2020 11:36AM

Here's a hint (in Utah anyway). Most grocery stores here have reduced hours and limit purchases to 2. Two things from this. After they close early, they clean the store. Then they restock (they won't restock during hours due to mobbing and clerks getting grabbed). Then they clean after they restock. Get to your grocery store early. The stores here open an hour early just for seniors. See what they restocked overnight. Also shop on Sunday morning.Half your neighbors won't shop on Sunday. They have decent supplies of most stuff. Sam's or Costco is a crap shoot and a mob scene.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 23, 2020 09:20PM

A post on another site mentioned that the Philippine missionaries came home because the country said it was closing, and that no one would be able to get in or out. The country is doing this to try to protect itself... Apparently they're doing the lock-down thing, too.

I don't know the source, but the post said that the current 'illness' tally for the coronavirus in the Philippines is 9 per million.

In Utah, the tally is said to be 56 per million.

So based on the math, the kids were safer in the Philippines v. Utah. Of course, I get that 'Muricans felt better about 'saving' the kids from life in a second world country. Yeah, it would be icky to be away from your family ... wait~~!!!

Oh, well, ghawd always does what is best, via his 12 apostles and the unmentioned in the bible First Presidency!

When I was growing up, even just getting to that biblical post, Assistant to the 12, was a major deal!!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 29, 2020 06:34AM

56 infections per million in Utah on Mar 22.

200 infections per million on Mar 28. That's six days later. Exponential growth in action.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: March 29, 2020 08:35AM

I went to the store yesterday. Here are items that were hoarded previously but were available.
Eggs- Good selection. Looked like a normal display
Pasta- Pickings were less than normal but there was some on the shelves.
Rice- There was some but picked over more than the pasta.
TP- still gone..

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 29, 2020 09:47AM

Yes, stores are starting to restock a little bit. When I was at Wal-Mart this past week, there were small amounts of toilet paper on the shelves, and some selection of canned soup. The fresh meat aisle was still thin, though. Weirdly, butter stocks were low.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: March 29, 2020 10:02AM

I grocery shopped this morning (Sunday) as they have an old farts only hour from 7 to 8 AM. Everything was well stocked except for butter, which Summer also mentioned. The store was empty of shoppers. It felt clean and safe. I just got a weeks worth of meat and fish along with fruits and misc. items. Normal shopping. We already stocked up in January. Nice to have fresh milk and eggs that will last awhile. Our garden is already supplying salads for our meals.

I fear for those who may lose or have lost their jobs. This will be a difficult time. Panic may ensue if lock downs go past May. If the virus hangs around for a year or more, our society will never be the same.

This is from the BBC site today: "Remember there are four coronaviruses that already circulate in human beings. They cause the common cold, and we don't have vaccines for any of them." I hope they are wrong about the timeline in developing a vaccine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2020 10:11AM by Eric K.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 29, 2020 10:15AM

Yes, it's possible that we may never have a vaccine. The 1918 flu eventually mutated into less harmful strains.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 29, 2020 10:44AM

Isn’t that weird? That when it comes infectious pathogens, only the weak survive?

Apparently ghawd has a bit of a silly streak. Could ghawd be ziller???

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: March 29, 2020 02:06PM

I'd like it if God were Ziller.

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: March 29, 2020 09:14PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.