Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 24, 2020 10:51PM

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/03/id-rather-die-glenn-beck-joins-the-gop-call-for-old-people-to-sacrifice-themselves/

On Tuesday, right-wing shock jock Glenn Beck followed Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick’s lead, and suggested that older people should risk their lives and potentially expose themselves to coronavirus for the sake of the economy.

“I want to have a frank conversation with you and ask you where you stand. I mean, I’m in the danger zone. I’m right at the edge, I’m 56. In Italy they’re saying if you’re sick and your 60, don’t even come in. So I’m in the danger zone.”

“I would rather have my children stay home and all of us who are over 50 go in and keep this economy going and working,” he continued. “Even if we all get sick, I’d rather die than kill the country, because it’s not the economy that’s dying, it’s the country.”

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: March 24, 2020 11:16PM

What an idiot. You sacrifice yourself, Glenn. I'm staying at home. And I'm working while I'm here, by the way, keeping my company going.

Posted by: NoToJoe(unregistered) ( )
Date: March 28, 2020 10:49AM

What an idiot. I agree. Glen should start licking door knobs asap......in fact all the red hat wearing idiots should resume their rallies asap.

Let's let natural selection do its work.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 24, 2020 11:17PM

I would like to be quarantined but the government has declared me to be an essential worker. I have a bad feeling about this.

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: March 24, 2020 11:21PM

Not that I want to defend Mr. Beck.

Date: March 24, 2020 11:23PM

Show us the hyperbole. I'm not seeing it.

Date: March 24, 2020 11:37PM

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 26, 2020 08:54PM

Beck was absolutely being sarcastic.

/s

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: March 24, 2020 11:24PM

It's Glenn Beck. I assume he's serious.

Posted by: logged off today ( )
Date: March 24, 2020 11:32PM

I agree, somewhat. I also would rather Glenn Beck die than kill the country. Win for everyone.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 24, 2020 11:32PM

We may get to find out how this works out. Apparently that company whose digital thermometer can send in temp readings through a phone app that the user can install, is showing Florida peninsula lit up like the Fourth of July for fever readings, and the FL west end of panhandle almost as bad.

Lots of old people and snowbirds in FL, and lots of spring breakers just left. Snowbirds getting ready to leave.

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: March 25, 2020 12:23AM

It's already well into the 90s in parts of Florida. That's why snowbirds leave in late March. Extremely high outside temperatures, especially along with high humidity, can cause body heat to rise, making it seem like one has a fever. I grew up in those dastardly East coast summers where there was no air conditioning, and nothing short of sitting in water could cool us down.

Date: March 25, 2020 06:45AM

The coastal cities are at about 80. Orlando is in the low 90s. We should know in a week if it's just high air temps causing skewed readings. Arizona didn't seem to have a fever problem,

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 24, 2020 11:57PM

To Glenn Beck: please just fuck off and die....alone..

Date: March 25, 2020 12:08AM

markets over human life

Date: March 25, 2020 12:16AM

"Should we even wait for the elderly to get sick ? Wouldn't it be proactive to club grandma to death now ?"

Posted by: AnonInCali ( )
Date: March 25, 2020 05:37AM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Should we even wait for the elderly to get sick ?
> Wouldn't it be proactive to club grandma to death
> now ?"

Let's just club Glen Beck!

Posted by: Evergreennotloggedin ( )
Date: March 26, 2020 08:27PM

Hehe.

How about just giving Gramma the bat and telling she needs to sacrifice herself for the greater good.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: March 27, 2020 07:04PM

If there were a way to guarantee that by getting the virus, I could somehow keep it away from my children and grandchildren, I'd go for it. But there is no such cosmic quid pro quo arrangement.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: March 25, 2020 12:26AM

Hmmm... He must’ve lost a lot of money in the stock market.

Date: March 25, 2020 06:46AM

No, his hotels are empty.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: March 25, 2020 12:40AM

Good Lord, this is science fiction stuff. Logan's Run and the like.

Or maybe we could all band together and come up with a solution that doesn't involve making rich people richer.

Just a thought.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 25, 2020 01:03AM

I've worked full time for 40 years now, and I stubbornly insist on staying at home right now so that I can enjoy my retirement in a few years. Perhaps Mr. Beck should consider enjoying retirement as well.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 25, 2020 01:05AM

Just Exactly WHEN DID SICKOS TAKE OVER?

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: March 25, 2020 01:20AM

Makes some sense. Most of our wars are about fighting for oil for our economy, and there doesn't seem to be much complaining about sending young men off to die or be maimed or debilitated for 60+ years. We give them medals and call them heroes.

It would be smarter to send old guys to fight those wars and become heroes - but then those wars probably wouldn't happen, since the old guys that instigate them would suddenly have a different perspective.

Date: March 25, 2020 01:50AM

Beck is just parroting Texas Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: March 25, 2020 02:09AM

Well, maybe if what you have to bring to the table is to be a "shock jock" or being a politician that is a viable option for ya. But let me tell you, there is a hell of a lot to be said for age and experience. Hubby is 70. Work FORCED him to work from home. The CEO of his small company came to his office and said YOU HAVE TO GO HOME. And he is working. He walked one guy though an install last week. He has taken multiple calls and walked other people through things. Today, he was able to figure out and tell someone how to fix a machine that has been down for almost two weeks and had multiple people try to fix it. He went in to work Saturday with only two other people in the building and was able to mark up a bunch of parts to be cut, welded and changed so they could assemble machines this week. He was able to do these things because of his EXPERIENCE. And folks, these machines make FOOD. These machines need to keep running to refill your grocery shelves.

So yeah, the OLD PEOPLE are still valuable to our society.

OK, I will get off the soap box but this really pissed me off.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: March 25, 2020 02:25AM

My son said that if everybody over 40 were to die, his generation would be sunk.

Date: March 25, 2020 03:27PM

The global elite that run the world's major affairs look at us "useless eaters". That's a quote from scumbag Henry Kissinger.

Posted by: Concerned Citizen 2.0 ( )
Date: March 26, 2020 07:17PM

...don't forget Cecil "Blood Diamonds" Rhodes.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 26, 2020 09:03PM

You and your sources. . .

The term "useless eaters" was extant at the beginning of the 19th century, dating to the years after Malthus wrote his opus. The Nazis--you know, the people Kissinger fled from--used it to describe their racial and other enemies.

But Kissinger? Can you provide a primary source? No. Can you provide a secondary source? No. The term is ascribed to him in The Final Days, but even there it was attributed to someone who claimed to have heard Kissinger say it.

This is just right-wing anti-semitic nonsense. Disagree? Prove me wrong.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: March 25, 2020 04:58AM

>>Glenn Beck has Nazi Tourette's Syndrome...

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: March 25, 2020 05:05AM

Well maybe if Glenn would get some exercise and lose some weight and stop worrying so much he would have a better chance at surviving.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: March 25, 2020 05:45AM

Glenn has a lot of good advice usually. He says he sees things before they are going to happen. He's been on a rant though lately about how the economy was going to fail, the chains of supply were going to fail, money was going to become worthless, and the government was turning commie. And that we should all be preppers.

Obviously none of that happened (sarcasm). Seriously if everyone listened to him, we'd be prepared for the future. AS much as I hate admitting it the guys is always right.

Date: March 25, 2020 06:57AM

He was too nuts even for Fox.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: March 25, 2020 09:47AM

If he's so prescient, why did he go bankrupt? He can't even keep his own business going.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: March 25, 2020 06:37AM

there goes Q15

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 25, 2020 07:26AM

Of course not. My daughter was panicking and was going to quit her job, which is no job (well no real work right now, but being paid, by Princess, and come back from Alaska out of fear her parents might die while she's gone.

My aunt and uncle in their 80s, their kids and grandkids (which are multiple) are staying away so they don't get their parents sick. Given how busy they stay, this is saying A LOT.

My boyfriend will be 67 on Sunday and he is still working. The people where he works want them to close down as they are afraid. They take their temperature when they enter the building. My brother's company also take the temperatures.

I'm still working, but I'm at home. Medical transcription is creeping along. Luckily one of my old jobs has had work for me and it is just clinic work, so it seems to still be coming in.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2020 07:27AM by cl2.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: March 25, 2020 10:06AM

Well, I do think Mormons and Christians should lead the way and show us all the power of their faith. So my suggestion is that they all need to plan HUGE Easter Celebrations. Pack them churches. Pack em good. Make America great again.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 25, 2020 11:11AM

I hope Easter does not become a day to remember resurrection OF THE VIRUS.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: March 25, 2020 10:55PM

NO. I do not hope they pack the churches. All that means is they will then spread it around to the rest of us. What a few do effect all of us.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: March 26, 2020 01:34PM

Sorry. Sarcasm is the only thing getting me through this. I DO know that those people having huge gatherings would not contain the virus to them. And no, I don’t want to see them contaminate the whole country.

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: March 25, 2020 10:15AM

So that's how they want to fix Social Security.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 25, 2020 11:31AM

Vitus or hit squads?

Virus or hit squads?

Virus or hit squads?

...Okay, let's try the virus! If that doesn't work ...

Date: March 25, 2020 03:33PM

Let's keep our "virus" going until we crash the world economy and reset the world's currency to our liking.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: March 25, 2020 10:25AM

Wasn't there a big fuss a while back about "death squads" in the insurance industry where they decide who gets treatment and who dies?

Now they are advocating that we volunteer for it?

I'll be 59 in August. I'm an engineer at a medical device company. We make products that literally save lives in the operating rooms and hospitals. Our products, the products I worked on, have been used on me in several back surgeries I had years ago. I have 30 years experience and am highly valued, less experienced employees regularly seek out my input and guidance.

I guess I'm expendable for the sake of the economy and providing a huge return to the shareholders.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 25, 2020 11:15AM

Roy G Biv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I guess I'm expendable for the sake of the economy
> and providing a huge return to the shareholders.

Everyone is even young people. Out society is built on the backs of economic tyranny in the pursuit of a better life. Beck's just spouting an old philosophical axiom that the older want a better life for the younger when in reality self interest drives us in a hierarchy of status. Boomers were supposedly unique in their short circuiting this "natural" inclination and wanting the good now and not just for their kids.

Posted by: lapsed2 ( )
Date: March 25, 2020 10:29AM

Glenn Beck:
“I want to have a frank conversation with you, I would rather have my children stay home and all of us who are over 50 go in and keep this economy going and working, even if we all get sick. I would rather die than kill the country, because it’s not the economy that’s dying, it’s the country.”

Twitter User:
“Give me a break. This selfish turd would rip a ventilator away from a nun if he developed a dry cough.”

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: March 25, 2020 11:13AM

No worries. I have it on the highest authority that it will all be over by Easter.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: March 25, 2020 11:19AM

Can we remind you of this prediction 3 weeks from now?

Date: March 25, 2020 12:09PM

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: March 25, 2020 01:21PM

Got it in one.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 25, 2020 03:34PM

Again, (Glenn Beck's) religion (attempts to) turns the world Upside Down...

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: March 26, 2020 08:07PM

I’ll do it right after he does.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 28, 2020 07:50PM

Glenn Beck's audience is unredeemable, in my estimation.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 28, 2020 09:26PM

Could you maybe at least get your deposit back?

Posted by: John Wick ( )
Date: March 29, 2020 02:47PM

Newsflash for Glen Beck. People of any age die of corona.

Date: March 31, 2020 12:45PM

#DieForTheDow

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.