Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: March 30, 2020 05:59AM

This is a video by an American-educated M.D./Surgeon (graduate of Texas A&M University), who explains how COVID-19 "works" once it gets into a person's body.

This is information we all need to know, and he goes to considerable lengths to make his explanations understandable to the adult North American population at large.

At the end, he goes into the scientific projections of where the USA "is" right at this moment, and where we can expect to be at specific points in the near (means the rest of 2020) future.

I am very glad I saw this video.

I think you will be glad you saw it too.

https://www.democraticunderground.com/10699247

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: March 30, 2020 10:16AM

I watched the video, thank you for sharing it. What a sobering thing we are facing. I seem to lean toward humor more than reality, but this is real and it's here now.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: March 30, 2020 11:01AM

Excellent stuff. He iterates exactly what I came to understand.

Denial is a wonderful drug, I should know that pretty clearly as a former Mormon, but so many still can’t face up to this thing. Yes, people are pretty much understanding that they must practice social distancing now, but they think it’ll end sooner rather than later.

If we peak mid-May, we still have the other side of the curve to go through. Why is that hard to understand?

And then, when we do finally go through this ramp-up, a peak, and then complete the other side of the graph, we will likely be facing at least 30% unemployment and a severe Depression, one that could make the ‘30s look like a cake walk. Why?

People forget that before WW2 most people lived in rural communities, it was roughly a 80%/20% split. That is now reversed, where 80% of us now live in urban communities (roughly). People survived the ‘30s because you could always raise a few chickens, plant some turnips, trade with your neighbour for a bit of butter, etc. There was no cash, so you couldn’t replace your clothing and shoes very easily, but there was food. Scarce, not a large variety, but food...almost enough.

Where in the city are you going to plant a bit of turnips, carrots and potatoes? Where are a few chickens gonna go, or the old sow who might farrow one more time?

What happens to your community if the trucks stop coming in to fill your Market’s shelves?

Let’s hope I’m way off, that this doctor is way off, that I paint an egregiously exaggerated picture. I’ll never be happier to be wrong. But it isn’t crazy to think about and prepare for the Great Depression waiting for us on the other side of this pandemic’s curve, RIGHT AS WINTER CREEPS UPON US.

And I didn’t even mention a 2nd or a 3rd wave of the virus. I’ve seen some reports out of China about that, and also reports on a truly frightening scenario where the recovered become reinfected. I’ll remain in denial about that. There’s only so much that I can take in at once.

Let’s be kind to one another, hope for the best, but absolutely prepare for the worst.

Human

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: March 30, 2020 11:13AM

Also, this shares similar info in print:

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/03/the-story-of-a-coronavirus-infection.html

Edited to correct link

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2020 11:17AM by caffiend.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 30, 2020 11:59AM

Thanks for the info.

I believe if SARS and the flu were not asexual but sexual and made a baby it would be COVID-19.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: March 30, 2020 02:13PM

Thanks, Tevai.

This is soooo informative.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 30, 2020 02:54PM

I'm not going to say I'm downplaying what he is saying. In fact, it could be much worse than what he is saying. Nobody knows for sure. All they can do is estimate including him. Myself, I have to believe there is more hope than what he says. Otherwise, I may just lay down and give up and I won't do that. If I was going to give up in life, I already would have.

I've listened to others who see it as less than this and others who see it as more. This is one man's opinion. I already knew about how it kills as I've listened to other doctors.

I have to hope for better. I know how it kills. I know how it spreads.

We have to realize that medicine is not an exact science. If you asked another doctor, they will probably give you another opinion. There are things they are working on, too. I have hope in the medications like azithromycin. Everyday it is a different call on how this is going to turn out.

There has to be some level of hope for an old fat lady with diabetes and high blood pressure to live. And also some hope for my old aunt and uncle.

When you predict an outcome like he is, many people are going to give up. They talk about suicides. People will not only kill themselves over money, but not wanting to die like this. This is the least hopeful video I've seen and I've seen plenty. He is a surgeon. Not an infectious disease doctor or an epidemiologist. I'm more disturbed by this video the longer I think about it and I won't share it even with my boyfriend. I'm set as far as financial. I'll have a job. My husband has good retirement should it come to taking it early. Our house is close to being paid for. Maybe he and I will die. My boyfriend doesn't have good retirement. He has a house he would need to sell. He needs his job to continue and it isn't necessary. I don't want my boyfriend to end up committing suicide, but he also has kids he can go live with. His son owns 3 homes and his daughter has a double small house on an island by Vancouver, but this is fearmongering if you ask me.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2020 03:12PM by cl2.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: March 30, 2020 03:21PM

I apologize, c12.

I had no idea this video could be triggering to you--or to others I hadn't thought about either.

I don't do well with airy-fairy generalities and constructs (something I've gotten in trouble for during literally all of my life).

In scientific kinds of situations I (personally) deal MUCH better with realities I can visualize, especially in situations where those realities are invisible or inaccessible to unaided human sight (like the REAL dimensions of my lungs, which I found astounding: collar bone to waist--I have always thought my lungs were about 2/3 of the size they actually are).

The real message of the video is: Stay away from the virus--regardless of what is necessary to achieve this!

I am sorry for bringing distress to you. This is the very LAST thing I intended.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: March 30, 2020 03:57PM

That was WELL worth the 30 minutes it took to watch. I hope to not have to go out of my house for at least several weeks, and when/if I do, it will be a much more serious trip than before I watched this.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 30, 2020 04:13PM

Excellent, Tevai.

Posted by: dp ( )
Date: March 31, 2020 02:31AM

I appreciated hearing/learning the info presented; thanks for sharing. Not good to hear that use of ACE-inhibitors (lisinopril, benazepril, others, commonly used to treat hypertension) can coincide with an increased risk of getting infected by SARS-COV-2. Why not? I take one of those medications.

:(

And at least one, probably both of my parents, take one of those medications.

:(

As do lots of middle-aged and older people.

Learning about the relationship between SARS-COV-2 and ACE-inhibitors (more here: https://www.thelancet.com/pdfs/journals/lanres/PIIS2213-2600(20)30116-8.pdf), it makes perfect sense why older people are more susceptible to COVID-19.

Posted by: Warrior71783 ( )
Date: March 31, 2020 10:42AM

Thanks for this. I learn better this way through visual teaching.

Posted by: WVDude ( )
Date: March 31, 2020 05:46PM

Please, wash your hands. Thus sayeth T

Posted by: WVdude ( )
Date: April 01, 2020 02:58PM

Wash your hands!

Tevai! Wash your hands, and get a good scrubbing underneath your fingernails!

Please, Lord admonish everyone to wash your hands!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.