Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 30, 2020 06:56AM

https://www.ncronline.org/news/vatican/covid-19-not-gods-judgment-call-live-differently-pope-says

The worldwide coronavirus pandemic is not God's judgment on humanity, but God's call on people to judge what is most important to them and resolve to act accordingly from now on, Pope Francis said.

Addressing God, the pope said that "it is not the time of your judgment, but of our judgment: a time to choose what matters and what passes away, a time to separate what is necessary from what is not. It is a time to get our lives back on track with regard to you, Lord, and to others."

Pope Francis offered his meditation on the meaning of the COVID-19 pandemic and its implications for humanity March 27 before raising a monstrance with the Blessed Sacrament and giving an extraordinary blessing "urbi et orbi" (to the city and the world).

Popes usually give their blessing "urbi et orbi" only immediately after their election and on Christmas and Easter.

Pope Francis opened the service — in a rain-drenched, empty St. Peter's Square — praying that the "almighty and merciful God" would see how people are suffering and give them comfort. He asked to care for the sick and dying, for medical workers exhausted by caring for the sick and for political leaders who bear the burden of making decisions to protect their people.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 30, 2020 09:30AM

What a goofball.

He has no idea what "God" is doing or intends.

It doesn't take a genius to realize something like a pandemic makes you evaluate what is important. Adding God to validate an obvious thought is lame.

Date: March 30, 2020 09:35AM

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: March 30, 2020 10:30AM

Oh,come on! He didn't say anything that profound, but he hardly said anything wrong or stupid either. Trust you to be critical. I could have predicted that you would have something snarky to say no matter what he, or any other religious person, said. What would you expect him to say anyway?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2020 11:16PM by bona dea.

Date: March 30, 2020 10:36AM

Bradley and summer, I agree. At least he addressed people, the empty square was powerful and he had the sense to close churches and encourage people to stay home, unlike some evangelicals. In my opinion calling him a goofball is way out of line and says a lot more about the poster than the pope.It was completely uncalled for. Of course, he doesn't have the answers. No one does, but he does have an obligation to comfort and advise his flock which is what he was doing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2020 11:17PM by bona dea.

Date: March 30, 2020 12:44PM

I think he was trying to be supportive. I won't get into the theological part.

Date: March 30, 2020 01:04PM

I agree. There are a few posters who would be snarky regardless of what he says or doesn't say. They need to stop showing their bigotry IMO.They don't have to agree with theology but they do not need to be jerks either.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 31, 2020 04:54AM

It's not Catholic theology that is problematic. To atheists and agnostics, the question of doctrine is almost by definition irrelevant. What matters is Francis's failure to do anything to protect children. By shifting the discussion from that very substantial failing, that very substantial sin, to Catholic theology you do everyone a disservice.

On a related note, please explain why calling the pope a "goofball" is inappropriate. Is it just the pope who may not legitimately be subjected to laughter and disdain, or does that rule apply to all religious leaders? I don't think, for instance, I've ever heard you tell posters they are behaving badly when they cast aspersions on LDS apostles and prophets.

I do not for a moment believe you sympathize with child molesters or their patrons. But that begs the question why you would single out one organization, and one man, as beyond reproach on that score.

Date: March 31, 2020 05:03PM

I didn't say he was beyond reproach and the post had nothing to do with child molestation. I criticized dagny for calling him a goofball for say such 'horrid' things as that the pandemic is not God's judgment, we should be kind to each other and praying for first responders.Once again, you are attributing things to me that I didnt say. Kindly leave me alone or at least read my posts and refer to what I actually said instead of making up stuff I didn't say. This is exactly my issue with you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2020 05:05PM by bona dea.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 31, 2020 05:42PM

And my issue with you is that you constantly defend one faith, a single faith, as if it were somehow more than just another religion. Strip the church of its ritual and doctrine and ostentation and what is left is not pretty.

On this board and the previous one, you and I frequently discussed the RCC's historical contributions, including the preservation of classical learning, the foundation of new communities in post-Roman Europe, and the training of the ruling and administrative personnel necessary to construct new states. We were, and are, on the same page about those things. But that does not in any way excuse the church's crimes. You have insisted that Francis really wants to protect children even after he instructed the US bishops not to protect children. Despite your protestations now, your record on that score is abundantly clear.

It is wrong to caricature the complex reasons people dislike the RCC, to simplify their motives so that you can deride a straw man. It is likewise wrong to insist that we ignore the complexity of your feelings about the Church and pretend that light-mindedness and laughter at the expense of the pope is somehow inappropriate. The Catholic Church deserves no more deference than any other religion.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 31, 2020 05:34PM

As a born-and-raised Catholic, I think that Francis has said a lot of good, kind, supportive things. IMO the Catholic church had a long drought for genuinely kind popes. You had John XXIII (pope from '58-'63,) whom my mother remembered very warmly. You had *maybe* John Paul I, who was pope for just a month, but who had a very good reputation. The rest were (in my opinion,) either limited in that regard (i.e. John Paul II,) or notably lacking.

Where Francis has really, really dropped that ball is in protecting the church's children. He has placed too high an emphasis on forgiving the priests, without also insisting on harsh civil and ecclesiastical consequences for those who offend. He has refused to put substantial policies in place to protect children. He has been a tremendous disappointment to me in that regard. I think it will be a stain on his legacy.

The problem is so bad that the Baltimore diocese has given up on promoting the church or the priesthood in its TV commercials. Instead, the current commercials here highlight the charitable works that individual Catholics do in order to put their faith into action.

Date: March 31, 2020 04:47PM

When I was referring to snarky people.I wasn't referring to you, anybody.Sorry if you felt it was. I was referring to dagny and her goofball remark.I had no issue with you. You gave a factual report of what happened

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2020 05:07PM by bona dea.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: March 30, 2020 09:35PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2020 09:35PM by Beth.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: March 30, 2020 10:09AM

At least the Pope gave the world a public statement. Anything from the Q15?

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 30, 2020 11:53AM

Why would they need to? Everything is a test of faith for those guys.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 30, 2020 10:23AM

I have to say that seeing a photo of him speaking to an empty square was rather powerful.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 31, 2020 10:31AM

Looking at all the images of vacant religious places all over the world is quite revealing as well as poignant. It shows the utter impotence of the religions when it comes to the claims they make.

When the tide goes out, they are naked. They have no powers as they claim when it comes to protection and healing. Their important rituals suddenly aren't so important after all. They have no divine insight about a God that overcomes all by faith as they claim.

When push comes to shove, they are forced to defer to the scientific facts. I am thankful they do, albeit after the fact when more damage is already done.

Now the religions must wait for this to pass so they can get back in the business of pretend healing and collecting money.

Meanwhile, they can dress up and try to make themselves stay relevant.

Do they say, "I'm sorry, we should have been the first to protect you against the virus since we have no problem telling you what God thinks about everything?" No. They take no responsibility when their adherents actually thought God would protect them practicing the religion.

Posted by: Ted ( )
Date: March 30, 2020 11:48AM

Oh thank God. I thought it was God's judgement. Ok I will live differently and act accordingly from now on. Whew.

Date: March 30, 2020 11:50AM

Well, Ted, lots of people including many evangelicals are saying exactly that and blaming it on gays, Jews etc. Kind of nice to hear the pope say differently.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2020 12:02PM by bona dea.

Posted by: Ted ( )
Date: March 31, 2020 09:34AM

That is good point and I am very glad that he did not do that. However, I thought it was a very diplomatic (soft) way of saying that it's not God's judgement necessarily, but ya'll need to change your ways - that's why God did this folks. Sort of had to read between the lines. My sarcasm is rooted in my dislike for all religions, but you are right - he did not hook this on anyone group in particular. Very valid point BD.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 30, 2020 12:34PM

So, ignore the Bible? Just "live" differently?

How differently?

How about Rock Star differently!

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: March 30, 2020 12:57PM

The pope always was famous for his inane generalites.

Posted by: Curelom Joe ( )
Date: March 30, 2020 09:30PM

I like Pope Francis, the 266th pope.

Fun fact: He is the only pope who once worked as a nightclub doorman and bouncer; while a young man in Buenos Aires during the mid-1950s.

He was also a certified chemistry-lab technician, and also held down other jobs including as a janitor, before choosing to enter religious life.

He had a girlfriend in those days, and much enjoyed dancing the tango.

Hurray for Pope Francis!

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: March 30, 2020 09:36PM

Just curious: Did you watch "The Two Popes"? I mean it's good...

Date: March 30, 2020 10:31PM

There was some fiction in it, but it was excellent.

Posted by: Birdman ( )
Date: March 31, 2020 04:02AM

We've gone from Mormon apologists to Pope (Roman Catholic) apologists. How interesting.

Posted by: Tag Team ( )
Date: March 31, 2020 05:40AM

Bona dea...bene factum.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.