Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Kristy ( )
Date: March 30, 2020 04:35PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 30, 2020 04:51PM

Maybe a bit...but he's an ugly m'fer in that pic.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 30, 2020 05:28PM

He is above the law.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: March 30, 2020 08:38PM

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Liberty-University-Brings-Back-Its-Students-and-15165021.php

"So Falwell — a staunch ally of President Donald Trump and an influential voice in the evangelical world — reopened the university last week, igniting a firestorm, epidemiologically and otherwise. As of Friday, Eppes said, nearly a dozen Liberty students were sick with symptoms that suggest COVID-19, the disease caused by the virus. Three were referred to local hospital centers for testing. Another eight were told to self-isolate."

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: March 30, 2020 09:00PM

He does look a little like a young Monson.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: March 30, 2020 09:28PM

Oh trust me, there are plenty of churches in Tennessee and Kentucky that are defying the orders. Mostly they are the smaller goober churches, but they are like "until they make abortion clinics close, we will be having church, blah blah blah." Like they're really showing someone. Not that it wouldn't hurt for the virus to thin that herd a little bit, but unfortunately they also go about their business everywhere like Typhoid Mary.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: March 30, 2020 11:26PM

Typhoid Mary - good analogy.

I find it bewildering that they could be so reckless. And so many of them.

I kind of laughed at the comment I read somewhere earlier that some churchgoers were offended that liquor stores are allowed to stay open (essential service, lol) while churches are mandated to be closed. It is the same in Canada too with those closures. I haven't read of any church leaders or members in a huff though. Maybe many are secretly not unhappy to be missing church for a while (non-mos too, not that most of them are required or expected to show up every Sunday and for all the extras as well, as Mormons are and do).

But it's the height of stupidity to let yourself get offended and end up causing real harm.

There is a Bible scripture (I forget exact location at the moment) that instructs Christians to submit to secular authority. I can see that as a reasonable path forward, especially in situations like this CV, a new experience for most of us, rather than dying on that anthill of being offended, especially through ignorance, and taking out other innocent lives with you.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2020 11:28PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 31, 2020 12:04AM

The Religious Freedom Restoration Act of 1993, Pub. L. No. 103-141, 107 Stat. 1488 (November 16, 1993), codified at 42 U.S.C. § 2000bb through 42 U.S.C. § 2000bb-4 (also known as RFRA), is a 1993 United States federal law that "ensures that interests in religious freedom are protected."

I could prepare his defense WITH MY EYES CLOSED; The U.S, Constitution (First Amendment) still controls, even in (not-defined) 'extraordinary circumstances'

Posted by: snagglepuss ( )
Date: March 31, 2020 01:16AM

If everyone stays at home, what happens to the collection plate?

Date: March 31, 2020 03:08AM

the YMCA I belong to is closed, but they 'humbly) <their word> asked members to keep paying their dues...

I understand they have lots of fixed costs, so I'm sympathetic even if I don't contribute/ comply to their request.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 31, 2020 04:59AM

‘Mega Load in his Pants’ also seems to be accurate. (I almost split his infinitive void!!)

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: March 31, 2020 08:31AM

Idiots - all of them attending this church. They all should be fined the $500 and the money used for protective equipment for Tampa medical personnel. The stupidity is astounding, yet unfortunately not unexpected. In my music community there are folks posting on FB that the lock down is a violation of civil liberties and one should be free to move as much as one desires. I have begun removing those people from my contacts list. I just don't understand. This is a crisis and we all must be involved in helping to stop the spread of this virus.

Date: March 31, 2020 10:07AM

I agree they are idiots and 'should be' fined according to circumstance;

However, the framers of the Constitution gave us all protections & rights against gov't intrusions into private actions; I would be surprised, Given the 'strict reading' of the actual words of the Constitution (freedom to assemble peacefully) that the USSC / SCOTUS would allow any penalties.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 31, 2020 11:46AM

This is why it's not mandatory that when the National Guard is deployed, the locals house them!

Instead, they can only "strongly insist" that the local population house the individual Guardsmen, not "gently compel", like when the bishop calls you to serve in the nursery.

Date: March 31, 2020 11:52AM

As far as where I live, plenty of mostly vacant motels to house them, some landlords would give them 'rack rates' for enlisted ppl.

The mention in the Constitution about housing soldiers is a bit shopworn if not untested in the courts...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.