Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 30, 2020 06:30PM

"The operator of City Creek Center in downtown Salt Lake City has told the mall’s retail tenants they must pay rent even though the center remains closed due to the cornonavirus...

...Taubman operates and owns retail portions of the 23-acre City Creek Center in a joint venture with City Creek Reserve, a real-estate arm of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints."

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/03/30/city-creek-mall-merchants/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: March 30, 2020 08:34PM

I thought those stores got free rent for being in City Creek. Maybe that was just for a year or so.

The 100B slush fund could be used to tide these folks over but I am sure LD$ Inc wouldn't think of using it for such a thing.

I hope this gains traction in the national press. It's disgusting.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 31, 2020 11:52PM

You mean the 70 billion slush fund?

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: March 30, 2020 09:16PM

Most of the retailers in CC are high end (Tiffany) or big luxury-good chains, not a lot of Mom and Pop. Probably this will be a nail in the coffin for Macy's. I feel sorry for the employees who can't afford the shit sold in these stores, they will be hurting more than Taubman and Morg, INC.

Too bad Hinckly, Monson, and now Nelson decided to invest in such a money pit. One would think one of the 3-Stooges would have had common sense along the way. The Mormon Church—too big to fail, huh? CITY CREEK—Shut it!

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: March 30, 2020 09:23PM

Damn.

Who has stats on unemployment claims?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2020 09:23PM by Beth.

Date: March 30, 2020 09:38PM

It takes me forever to find the | key

Date: March 30, 2020 09:22PM

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 30, 2020 09:27PM

ChurchCo:

Please carefully study what U did to me & my family;

if U don't choke on that yourself, Please feel free to ES & Die

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: March 30, 2020 09:40PM

It’s Utah. And you better keep paying your tithing even though your churches and temples are closed.

Date: March 30, 2020 10:15PM

Or there’ll be a fire come down from heaven! The Not-So-Prophetic Mormon Prophet’s Boner.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: March 31, 2020 10:52AM

Obviously we’re dealing with a juvenile God. He’s still lighting his farts.

Date: March 31, 2020 11:12AM

LOL, Bradley!

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: March 31, 2020 11:03AM

My point actually shares a serious point with your joke, Bradley--the smell of brimstone (sulpher).

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: March 31, 2020 10:30AM

A faithful Mormon employee paid tithing and was "blessed" by being laid off work. Is that Mormon then expected to pay tithing on the unemployment check?

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: March 31, 2020 11:08AM

"Is that Mormon then expected to pay tithing on the unemployment check?"

Of course they are-it's in "increase."

Back in my TBM days, I made the mistake of asking my bishop if I should pay tithing on my inheritance from my parents (since that money had already been tithed). He told me that I should pay because "it hadn't been tithed for me."

The answer to any question that begins with "should I pay tithing..." is always yes.

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: April 02, 2020 02:18AM

Unemployment is actually a decrease, but I digress, it's NOT an increase, but a trade-off.

You capture your time (in pleasure, it's spent; in work, it's saved or spent) in MONEY, but that doesn't mean TSCC can lay their stake in it or claim any part of it. It is yours (just like the time your traded for it was-is yours) to build upon, spend/ trade/ invest, save, etc...

An "increase" is one thing and a trade (money for time) is another.

Date: April 02, 2020 02:37AM

true, Except ChurchCo has got the sheeple buffaloed to believe things there way, All Day, Everyday.

Date: March 31, 2020 11:42PM

I'm guessing most of those retailers are careful about their contracts & the law calls these circumstances "force majeure" and should be written into most commercial agreements.

I'm not sure about Utah courts but some courts will apply provisions in a fair manner.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 01, 2020 07:18AM

I guess church co can make more $$$ with empty space when these stores close than offering a one time exception to paying rent when customers are prohibited from shopping in public.

I have no bone in the matter, but this type of contract reminds why I despise the church and their authority. It reminds me of a time when my area got a really bad storm. Snow was projected to reach lower elevations with power outages.

Could the church just believe the meteorologists' projections and CANCEL church ahead of time?

Of course not. We were supposed to get a phone call (pre cell phone days). It did not come as my family wasn't important enough. After driving mostly on a snow-free road, only the last half mile to church was dangerous because it had not been plowed. After spinning out twice, we arrived at the church's private drive. It was obvious that church had been cancelled.

Yes, my Dad who had common sense thought church would indeed be cancelled. However, it my Mom who has the gift to nag people to death. He was not going to have a peaceful Sunday unless he drove her so she could see for herself.

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: April 01, 2020 10:24PM

They would have collected double rent in February to prepare.

Date: April 01, 2020 10:33PM

the landlord/manager could ask, but Only demand if their contract allowed it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2020 11:31PM by GNPE.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.