Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: April 01, 2020 08:27AM

Life and death are at stake. Religious dogma doesn't matter.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressivesecularhumanist/2020/03/central-park-tent-hospital-volunteers-must-agree-to-anti-gay-christian-dogma/

https://gothamist.com/news/de-blasio-samaritans-purse-central-park-coronavirus-hospital

They think Jesus hates the Gays: Volunteers for the new coronavirus field hospital in Central Park must agree to a “statement of faith” declaring that sinners go to Hell and gays can’t get married.

The new coronavirus field hospital in Central Park is being run by Samaritan’s Purse, a notoriously anti-gay Christian hate group run by the equally notorious Franklin Graham. Adding insult to injury, the anti-gay conservative Christian organization demands that all volunteers adhere to their “statement of faith” which entails an explicitly anti-gay agenda.

The Gothamist reports:

According to the group’s website, all volunteers, including health care workers, should read and adhere to a statement of faith, in which marriage is defined as “exclusively the union of one genetic male and one genetic female” and the unrighteous are sentenced to “everlasting punishment in hell.”

That’s right, if you want to volunteer for the new coronavirus field hospital in Central Park you have to pinky swear that you believe that sinners go to Hell and gays can’t get married because it’s Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2020 08:28AM by anybody.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Fascinated in the Midwest ( )
Date: April 01, 2020 11:36AM

It seems to me that Samaritan's Purse should stick to their Christmas shoebox project which brings a small amount of joy to economically-deprived young children, too young to know the sponsoring org's agenda.

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: April 01, 2020 11:47AM

Franklin Graham's father, Billy Graham, would be severely disappointed to see what a bigoted, hateful, nasty asshole that his son turned out to be. Both Graham and Falwell's kid are proof that no God ever existed in their "church".

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: April 01, 2020 01:49PM

stillanon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Franklin Graham's father, Billy Graham, would be
> severely disappointed to see what a bigoted,
> hateful, nasty asshole that his son turned out to
> be. Both Graham and Falwell's kid are proof that
> no God ever existed in their "church".

Agree.

Wholeheartedly.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 01, 2020 12:03PM

statement of faith? Did they put up the hospital? Why are they running it? Are they going to refuse to take care of any gays?

This is worse to me than that thing I posted yesterday that the mormons had started saying about GC.

So they are the ones setting it up? Paying for it with donations and with government money?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2020 12:06PM by cl2.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 01, 2020 12:41PM

Because Jesus said, "get that damn Samaritan woman out of my sight!"

Date: April 01, 2020 01:16PM

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 02, 2020 11:33AM

He was speaking as a man.

Date: April 01, 2020 01:42PM

The NY mayor is assured there will be no discrimination (at least re patients):

https://nypost.com/2020/03/31/evangelical-central-park-hospital-wont-discriminate-de-blasio/

Date: April 01, 2020 01:47PM

It's hard to imagine that they could force health care workers to sign such a document.

Even if, as they promise, they accept all patients needing the services, how would you feel being treated by a nurse or physician who has signed Graham's pledge?

I guess if you're ill enough to need field hospital care in Central Park you will fight that battle once you're up and about again.

If you can be bothered.

Because you can't reason with some people.

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: April 01, 2020 03:38PM

Been away a while, but strangely have some time on my hands now.

Can we file this under the "let no good deed go unpunished" file?

The adherence to the statement of faith is...wait for it...

for volunteers

If you want to freely associate with this bigoted group of hate mongers who seek to eradicate sinners and heathens from every corner of the earth and universe beyond, you MUST (I repeat) MUST adhere to their statement of faith which includes the embrace of traditional marriage. Can you imagine the insanity of an organization seeking to make sure those who associate with it embrace the same values as the organization? Next you'll try to tell me Planned Parenthood refused to accept as a volunteer that woman wearing the Pro-life t-shirt.

WILL THIS MADNESS NEVER END?

And if you choose to VOLUNTEER with Samaritan's Purse, you'll be called upon to treat every patient the same, without any screening or prioritizing based upon their faith, lifestyle or race. As with every other outreach done by these hateful bigots, they offer their services to everyone, even those who reject the values they hold. These health care professionals are working for free at a time when hospitals across New York City are offering up to $100/hr for nurses to fill the need.

But it's probably better that these unpaid volunteers be ignored if you have a sick loved one. It would be better to let those you love die than accept the *unconditional* *free* help of people as horrid and disgusting as those who CHOOSE to associate with Samaritan's Purse. In fact, will you please join us to prevent these idiots from offering help to anyone? The world will surely be a better place if we can stop this cancer of hatefulness.

Sure, this same ministry has provided safe drinking water for 400,000 people, helped refugees from Iraq, built a medical clinic in Bangladesh, and deployed their field hospitals to natural disasters around the world, but let's not lose sight of what's important. These people are despicable homophobes who embrace traditional marriage. We must respond in the most powerful way possible. Volunteer at your local Antifa field hospital. They have no statement of faith required. And I'm sure the Freedom From Religion foundation has lots of volunteer opportunities at their field hospitals. Or better yet, post on Facebook a video of yourself singing "Imagine." The world will be healed and all will be well thanks to your brave and selfless efforts.

Glad to be back. Glad to see so many among our exmo community can embrace freedom of choice and recognize good works done by those we disagree with should be stopped and those involved shunned.

Date: April 01, 2020 04:21PM

Tall Man, Short Hair Wrote:
> If you want to freely associate with this bigoted
> group of hate mongers who seek to eradicate
> sinners and heathens from every corner of the
> earth and universe beyond, you MUST (I repeat)
> MUST adhere to their statement of faith

I don't equate a qualified individual offering to provide medical aid in a crisis with a desire to "associate" with the sponsoring organization. The organization in this case is the vehicle whereby the aid can be rendered.

I accept that in "normal" times volunteers and other associates and especially leaders in a group are usually required to sign a similar pledge, promising to uphold the objectives/beliefs of the organization. That is when you may be seen as representing the organization and its values. In this crisis it's coming across as forcing qualified personnel to sign a pledge that some may not even believe in before they are judged worthy to render crucial assistance (that, by the way, the organization is being praised for offering).

> Can you imagine the insanity of an organization
> seeking to make sure those who associate with it
> embrace the same values as the organization?

The non-affiliated volunteers are not "associating" with the organization in this case. As above, they are offering to assist those stricken by CV, not to represent Franklin Graham.

> And if you choose to VOLUNTEER with Samaritan's
> Purse, you'll be called upon to treat every
> patient the same, without any screening or
> prioritizing based upon their faith, lifestyle or
> race.

Unlike the judgement meted out by Graham and his supporters on everyone who is less intense than they are regarding their main themes?

> ...they offer their services to
> everyone, even those who reject the values they
> hold.

Can you imagine if they tried to sort patients by faith or lack thereof, marital status, gender identity or private relationships? Maybe then they'd be told to fold up their tents and slink off. That's why they have to stay at least a little under the radar with the depth of their judgemental attitudes.

> It would be better to let those you love die
> than accept the *unconditional* *free* help of
> people as horrid and disgusting as those who
> CHOOSE to associate with Samaritan's Purse.

It's not unconditional in spirit at least as the aid workers are required to sign the pledge. If the optics weren't so terrible who knows - they may indeed sort patients or refuse patients based on religious beliefs.

> These people are
> despicable homophobes who embrace traditional
> marriage.

You said it!

> Glad to see so many among our
> exmo community can embrace freedom of choice and
> recognize good works done by those we disagree
> with should be stopped and those involved shunned.

I think you are twisting the sentiment.

And again - Graham and his organization do not "embrace freedom of choice". Perhaps there are many potential qualified volunteers in NYC who cannot in good conscience sign the declaration of faith which in Graham's case includes rabid homophobia, thereby rendering said volunteers unable to offer their much-needed services. Maybe that doctor or nurse you turn away would have been instrumental in saving a life or two. Would you expect them to lie in order to be accepted as a worthy volunteer?

What if the prospective volunteer is a member of the LGBTQ community? Then how are they going to work in the field hospital unless they make a pledge against their own being?

In their roles as doctors, nurses and other health care workers, they should be accepted for their skills and life-saving capacity. Religious beliefs or private choices shouldn't enter into it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2020 04:22PM by Nightingale.

Date: April 01, 2020 04:28PM

> Glad to see so many among our
> exmo community can embrace freedom of choice and
> recognize good works done by those we disagree
> with should be stopped . . .

I hate to be a stickler for details, but can you identify the "many among our exmo community" who are demanding that Samaritan's Purse "stop" what they are doing?

Because if you can't, some readers may be tempted to dismiss your post as hyperbolic nonsense.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: April 01, 2020 11:19PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> > Glad to see so many among our
> > exmo community can embrace freedom of choice
> and
> > recognize good works done by those we disagree
> > with should be stopped . . .
>
> I hate to be a stickler for details, but can you
> identify the "many among our exmo community" who
> are demanding that Samaritan's Purse "stop" what
> they are doing?
>
> Because if you can't, some readers may be tempted
> to dismiss your post as hyperbolic nonsense.

hahahahahahahahahhahaha.... you've really got a way with words .

Date: April 01, 2020 11:25PM

I try, dear lady, I try!

Date: April 02, 2020 11:31AM

I remember the first Gulf War from when I was growing up.

It was probably the first war in history that was broadcast in real time on live television.

I vividly remember one news story about a military chaplain — a rabbi — who was called upon to perform the Muslim service for the burial of the dead as no one else was available after a horrific battle where thousands of Iraqi troops were killed. Hundreds of bodies were buried in mass graves.

Both Graham Jnr and Falwell Jnr are, in my opinion, no different than Joseph Smith or Jim Bakker. They are just religious hucksters out to make a buck off of fear and prejudice. If Graham Jnr wants to put up a hospital in the middle of Central Park, fine. But he must be told up front that no discrimination or religious tests for medical personnel or volunteers will be allowed.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 02, 2020 05:02PM

>>I vividly remember one news story about a military chaplain — a rabbi — who was called upon to perform the Muslim service...

That's the essence of being a military chaplain. All of them know that they may be called to step in to provide support for those of another denomination or another faith.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: April 01, 2020 11:13PM

I guess Graham missed the part about the Samaritan ignoring the religious and cultural differences between himself and the man he helped. And he missed how Jesus making the Samaritan the hero of the story was a jab at the self-righteous Jews.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: April 01, 2020 11:26PM

More about Samaritans vs. Jews:

https://www.gotquestions.org/Samaritans.html

Date: April 02, 2020 11:35AM

Jesus approves of this post.

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: April 02, 2020 12:14PM

I remember why I drifted away from posting here.

If your first response to a group supplying doctors, nurses, medicine and facilities at no cost to anyone who needs it (including members of the LGBTQ community) is that you believe they're "rabid homophobes" because the group has a statement of faith that endorses traditional marriage and not other forms (as do about 120 million Americans*), I honestly question your priorities and your humanity. And if a group who freely offers life-saving treatment to anyone including members of the gay community is considered to be "rabid homophobes," what term do use for those who actively seek to harm this community? "EXTRA rabid homophobes?"

A simple "Thank you so much" would be more appropriate.

When you finish with Samaritan's Purse, will you get to work on Oskar Schindler? Historians have displayed this nasty habit of highlighting some minor efforts he made to save Jews during the Holocaust and frequently overlook the far more important detail that he was widely believed to be an adulterer.

*https://news.gallup.com/poll/257705/support-gay-marriage-stable.aspx

Date: April 02, 2020 12:25PM

I don't care if they have a statement of faith that says aliens live in an underground health resort at Area 51 or whatever.

That's not the point.

Would you allow someone to die because you couldn't find a doctor who shares their ideology in time who would sign that statement?

Would there be enough time to move them?

Would there even be a bed available?

Would you just refuse to treat them in the first place?

That's the point.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2020 12:27PM by anybody.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 02, 2020 05:09PM

Well, first -- good luck to them finding qualified medical personnel who will sign that. Maybe they will have to fly those bigoted people in from elsewhere.

And second, if the group insists that "the unrighteous are sentenced to everlasting punishment in hell,” do they share that belief with the people that they treat? Or do they keep their religious beliefs to themselves? I swear to God if someone told me I was going to hell while on my deathbed, I would summon up a final burst of energy to smack the stupid off of his or her face.

Date: April 02, 2020 06:23PM

I don't think you could smack hard enough to get the stupid off that face.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 02, 2020 05:16PM

It's the "Mussolini made the trains run on time"argument. Sad.

Date: April 02, 2020 06:39PM

"...I honestly question your priorities and your humanity."

Have you been assisted by evangelicals in your life? There is a reason they are The last resort for most people. I can withhold my praise for their efforts if their methods are draconian. This doesn't mean I'm against the help they give. The message is often the method. If you can tolerate their message this doesn't mean you have to approve of their methods. The Mormon church helps people a lot too in their methods. You don't seem too upset about criticizing it do you?

Posted by: synonymous ( )
Date: April 02, 2020 10:11PM

"I remember why I drifted away from posting here."

You weren't missed at all. And I see you're still up to your old tactic of placing words in others' mouths and knocking down those scary straw men.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 02, 2020 12:37PM

So the New York city government allowed a church disguised as a hospital to be set up in a public park ?

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: April 02, 2020 01:02PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
> So the New York city government allowed a church
> disguised as a hospital to be set up in a public
> park ?

This is my position as well.

Central Park (to the best of my knowledge; I am not a New Yorker) is public land. If you (the authorities for that organization) choose to use public land for your facility, and you are granted the necessary privileges to do this, the non-discrimination laws which apply to public land should apply to your facility unless you have previously obtained a waiver.

In this case, I do not personally believe a waiver would be warranted--but without it, the organization has no right to impose their preferential/prejudicial rules on non-organization members (whether they be volunteers, non-organization employees, or patients).

To me, the offspring of a [maternal] racist family, this is no different than saying: "No blacks or Catholics allowed." [This is a quote from American history; these quoted words are not my own.]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2020 01:06PM by Tevai.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.