Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SeCular Priest ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 10:19AM

As he was announcing the world wide fast for Good Friday notice how he used terms such as I am an apostle, I am God’s prophet to the world, I am the leader of the true church, etc. I don’t think it was that convincing, at least not to me. Then he talks about the 16 million plus members which he knows is not accurate. Then he talks about fasting but forgets to mention that up to this point in time the church has always taught that fasting and giving the cost of the two meals to the church is what constitutes a proper fast. Had he said let’s do a world wide fast and donate the cost of the two meals and it will be sent to help fight this virus, it would be impressive. But difficult to say when you have a 100 billion stashed away. It would have been a more honest approach to teach the world how Mormons have been taught to fast.
I want to rewatch this part again. I think deep down inside he knew the first two attempts failed and he has nothing else to offer. Or hey if I say this I’ll impress my wife Wendy (just kissing). I am sure she was as happy as can be when he mentioned in his video “his wives.”
As for the statue worship, I mean logo worship, that certainly is all about leaving his mark on the Church. We are worshipping an idol now. Agree it’s a statue of Christ. But it’s like an idol. He has taken a beautiful piece of artwork and reduced it to everyday stuff. Much like the statue of the Virgin Mary. Seen one you have seem them all.I like art but this goes a little too far. He should have just stopped with the name of the Church in rectangular box. That was impressive. This is overkill at least to me. But I suspect that this logo will now appear on all church buildings as contractors replace old name plates. There is a ton of money to be made in this change.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 10:44AM

Charlton Heston is gone so he can’t give Rusty acting lessons. So is Yul Brynner, although I see a parallel between the new statue schtick and Ramses waiting for his statue to bring his son back from the dead. Nothing is going to bring the church back from the dead.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 11:08AM

Someday, Some GA is going to WAKE UP and connect the dots & realize that ChurchCo always puts focus on the superficial instead of on the basics of living a Christ-Like life if they haven't already...

WOW, I wanna be there!

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 11:19AM

I thought the title of your post was a typo, but "tired" is perfectly appropriate for ol' Rusty, along with all the tired old platitudes and boring recitations at GC...

Posted by: dimmesdale ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 12:20PM

Listening to teachers and leaders preaching about how evil other churches (especially the Catholic Church) were because they had so many statues and icons.

When I saw that Cristus statue in the visitors center and the fawning people surrounding it and the way it was treated, I about swallowed my gum.

This was not the church I was born into. You are right SeCular.

The church was based on craziness, but at least it was unique. Now it's just a Protestant copycat.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 10:08PM

dimmesdale Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The church was based on craziness, but at least it
> was unique. Now it's just a Protestant copycat.

LOL dimmesdale. Good lines.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 10:00PM

I think Rusty (in his mind at least) is trying to put the church back on course as GBH led the church down a dead end road. The problem is that his efforts are years, if not decades too late. People have moved forward, the church has not.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 11:13PM

Good to see you on here, Dimmesdale!

Our world is being turned upside down, and many of of us are in a state of fear and helplessness--and all Rusty, God's Prophet to The World, has to offer the world is the same-old obedience drivel, an over-used icon, and a hanky-wave?

And money being spent on building temples, instead of helping people.

After today, more people will realize it's all hype.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 11:18PM

did they 'sustain' the leadership? How'd that go?

did they announce the Super-Lame financial non-report?

(yes, I knew what they'd say on Both of those, most of us did Before they said it!!)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.