Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 07:50PM

Hi guys. You asked for a follow up on my kid's virus. For those that missed it, she was contacted by the Tennessee Dept. of Health, while she was in Florida (still is) that one of her teammates tested positive for the virus. A little background. My kid is a college student athlete. Top notch volleyball player and has been since she was 10. Played in the Jr. Olympics in Rio in 2016. Not bragging (well, maybe a little) she's been in great shape all her life. At college, they have trainers, nutritionists and meal plans that keep them in better shape than 99% of humans. A bunch of those kids got the virus.If top athletes can easily get it, everyone can. After she was contacted, it took 2-3 days to get tested, after jumping through a bunch of hoops and maybe exaggerating symptoms. In Florida, like Utah, only about 10-15% of people that want tests get tests. Some of her roommates, that ended up getting CV-19, weren't able to get tested for a week. She was tested Friday, a week ago after me calling up the ladder to get her a test. She felt fine. Until the next day. Her only symptoms were loss of sense of smell and mild headaches. Only for 24-36 hours. After that, she felt great. It took 10 days to get results, which today, came back positive. She self quarantined for 5 days until my brother and his family told her "Well, if you have it-we all have it". They stayed to themselves, at home or out in the boat fishing and skiing. My Mom (88 years old) lives 2 miles from my brother. She didn't understand why she could not visit or have the kids visit her. Pretty sad, but they did the right thing and are now visiting from 10 feet away. Now, after calling the Florida and Utah Departments of Health, we can't get a straight answer if A, she's still able to spread the virus. They said that if she hasn't experienced symptoms for 4 days, she's probably OK. Or not. Nobody knows. B, is she able to contract the virus again? "Maybe not" is the consensus. Wow- what great advice. Bottom line-nobody knows, no matter what they tell you today. That could change tomorrow. So, my advice, take this deadly virus seriously. Especially if you're old or living with elderly people. Or people easily susceptible to colds and flu. Pretend that you have it and that everyone else has it. Except for people that you live with and have been in close contact with, stay away. Stop going to stores or anywhere else on a regular basis. Make a list for what you need for 2-3 weeks. Go get it and then stay home. Yeah, it's going to be boring. But, it's better than being dead or causing others to die. Sorry to sound like an alarmist. But, a lot of parts of the country are not taking this seriously. Some, because we are not getting reliable information. This is kind of like a real day Hunger Games. It's up to each of us to be responsible for ourselves. Be safe people and be smart. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: April 05, 2020 09:13PM

I believe that was arachnid 19.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 07:54PM

Good advice.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 09:33PM

This is good advice. The sad thing is that I know a few people that aren't taking any of this seriously. They are having parties, they are socializing, Maybe it's a Utah thing? Also I heard that Sweden isn't social isolating anyone, but the elderly, The young are going about town just as they always do, in crowded cafes and shops. We'll see what happens...,

Date: April 05, 2020 09:51PM

Yeah, it's not a Utah thing. Without strong ORDERS, not requests from Governors, some people don't take it seriously. My kid's roommate is back in Solleftea Sweden. She's astounded how they're mostly still open. She says that Swedes by nature always "social distance". But Middle Schools are still open. She has been preaching to anyone that will listen to stay inside and sit this out. Her neighbors are listening but their Government is not.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 06, 2020 12:21AM

But they have a secret weapon against the virus. ABBA music.

Date: April 06, 2020 12:34AM

That won't kill the virus. It will make you kill yourself before you get the virus!

Posted by: The original MOI! ( )
Date: April 06, 2020 10:56AM

Well, I've loved ABBA's music and talent when they first began. And to everyone I run into that hates them, I simply say they are entitled to their opinions as I am. Oh, and also that they can completely fuck the hell off. LOL!

Posted by: The original MOI! ( )
Date: April 06, 2020 11:51AM

And I have to be perfectly honest, while I like ABBA, I don't like the Mamma Mia musicals, movies, or story line of a common gutter-whore sleeping around like some damn alley cat and getting herself knocked up. And come on. Meryl Streep? Pierce Brosnan? Really?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 09:52PM

I heard on the TV that they are saying do not go out at all this week. Not groceries, not anything.

STAY HOME, friends!

Date: April 05, 2020 10:12PM

What TV? The problem is that everyone in different areas are told different things with different rules. It just doesn't vary from State to State, but from counties within those states. If you look up Cluster Fu#k, this is it.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 06, 2020 12:07AM

IIRC, it was the surgeon general. He is expecting the number of CV-19 cases to spike this week.

Date: April 06, 2020 12:28AM

Yes. The Surgeon General and Dr. Fauci have been telling us that. Trump and some Governors are not. The Surgeon General knows the dangers, he's just afraid of speaking his mind and getting fired. Dr. Fauci has worked with 6 Presidents. He's 79. He doesn't give a damn what Trump says or does. He sees his job as saving lives, not making a politician look good. Dr. Birx is trying to straddle the fence. Listen to Fauci. Be smart. Be safe. Listen to Dr. Fauci.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: April 06, 2020 03:44AM

Agree 100%. Dr. Fauci is a hero and is putting his life on the line being near all those people.

Posted by: Warrior71783 ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 10:01PM

Thanks for the info stillanon. I hope your family recovers and gets in the clear of this. If you are serious about all this then i know that it is a big deal. I am doing my best to be responsible and wash my hands and keep my distance from people. Hope your daughter is alright and gets clear of the virus eventually. Sorry for being a dick towards you in the past.

Date: April 05, 2020 10:09PM

Thanks Adam. Apology accepted. I was in your face too. We're good. Stay safe. It's not just washing your hands. You have to believe that everything is radioactive. Try not to touch anything. If you do touch stuff, use a Clorox wipe and wipe the items and then your hands. Don't set your phone or purse down (I know you don't have a purse). Keep those wipes in your car. Nobody has a grip on this thing. Stuff we were told 2 weeks ago isn't true today. It spreads easier and stays longer on surfaces than we were led to believe. When in doubt, err on the side of the extreme. Stay safe.

Posted by: Warrior71783 ( )
Date: April 06, 2020 12:30AM

Holy cow, it just keeps getting worse. I really have to step it up and change things up.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: April 05, 2020 10:53PM

I have checked every possible website that sells the wipes and every single one is out of stock. I have about 20 left in the container I have, so I guess I will try to make a solution of bleach and water. you have given us very good advice.

Date: April 05, 2020 11:47PM

Yeah, be careful with bleach and water. That will discolor your clothes, carpets, car seats and furniture. Clorox wipes, believe it or not, don't contain bleach. They're made up of a blend of ethylene glycol (alcohol based anti freeze), ammonia and benzine. Nasty stuff, but no bleach. I bought a bunch of 91% isopropyl alcohol a month ago-not sure if you can find it now. We spray it on surfaces and a paper towel. Kills the virus and evaporates quickly. Bleach and water is ok for countertops and other non colored surfaces. Don't make wipes from bleach.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2020 12:21AM by stillanon.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: April 06, 2020 01:13AM

They told us here in Canada today to be careful with our "medical waste"; i.e. gloves and masks. People are discarding used materials on the streets where they are a potential hazard to anyone who picks them up, including sanitation guys. If the gloves or masks have CV on them that makes them an extreme hazard to anyone who touches them, obviously.

They're saying you should put your used masks and gloves into a baggy and then another one, so they're double-bagged and then discard them (preferably in your own garbage receptacle).

Also, take your used gloves off safely. Grab the outside of the first glove with your other gloved hand and gently pull it down towards your fingers and off, without splashing it all over the place. Then put it safely into the baggy. Now put your index and middle finger inside the other glove, between the glove and your hand, and pull it gently down and off (keeping it close to your hand, not waving it about). Needless to say, don't touch the outside of that glove with your other, bare, hand. Now safely put it also into the baggy. Then double bag the first baggy. And discard it.

It's a lot to think about and can be quite daunting. Easy to start feeling a bit overwhelmed. But if we keep ourselves informed we can hopefully be prepared and optimistic. There's a lot we can do to protect ourselves and others.

Date: April 06, 2020 01:46AM

You're absolutely right. We are in a different world. That's why I use the "radioactive" scenario. You have to pretend that everything outside your home is radioactive. And the order that you touch stuff and disinfect makes a big deal. Nobody is going to help us, but us. Be smart. think about what you're touching and touching after that. This is an adult, real life version of "Cooties". Be smart. Be safe.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 06, 2020 02:10AM

I would hope hospitals are buying industrial UV sterilizers to reuse these scarce masks instead of tossing them. If you need to nuke a building of contaminants, say after close of business, clear out the people and run a commercial ozone generator. They are primarily used to deodorize funky-smelling spaces. For the “nuke it from space, it’s the only way to be sure” crowd.

High intensity short UV is no joke. It will mess you up if you don’t protect your eyes. It sterilizes like sunshine on steroids.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.