Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: April 06, 2020 04:13PM

When will the bosses at 50th North Temple give our Governor the OK to issue a lock down order?

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/04/06/live-coronavirus-updates/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: April 06, 2020 04:39PM

Why wasn't the gov. at the update today? He probably didn't want to have to answer that very question.

Date: April 06, 2020 05:08PM

You're right. He came in with that pie in the sky "Utah Leads" BS plan 9 days ago. Basically written by the Chamber of Commerce with no factual medical professional's input. Now, he hides during bad news. People are dying and he's ducking.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 06, 2020 06:36PM

Four of the five were in a nursing home. That's ominous.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: April 06, 2020 10:25PM

Most of the deaths in BC have been in nursing homes. A combination of age and proximity.

As they say, this virus is very contagious and very deadly. That is what makes it so different from the seasonal influenza that some equate this pandemic to. It's different for those two reasons (by a factor of 10, as I understand it but hey BoJ, you're the math guy).

Of course, many elderly folks succumb to seasonal flu too.

Still, the two scourges are different. Most of us can social distance, even if it's challenging. It's not so easy in a care home. And maybe it got a foothold in many of them before the true scope of this pandemic was understood. I think our first nine deaths in this province occurred in one care home, at the very beginning of this thing.

Posted by: Old Al ( )
Date: April 07, 2020 07:50PM

We have a lot of deaths in my state, but nobody under 30 has died. Only four or five under 60 have died. Most of the dying are over 70 with the highest percentage being over 80. Those infected are distributed pretty equally over all age groups.

Posted by: mrx ( )
Date: April 06, 2020 06:55PM

Wyoming continues to lead the nation as the only state with zero deaths so far.

11 new cases though in past 24 hours . . . .

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: April 07, 2020 09:05PM

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/06/health/coronavirus-coroners-unc
ounted-deaths-invs/index.html

"A coroner in Wyoming, the only state that still hasn't reported any deaths due to the virus, said he seriously doubts its official death count, and told CNN he hasn't been able to test a number of suspected cases."

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: April 06, 2020 07:04PM

the stay at home orders, at least from what I've seen. I would assume that number of people who are 25 to 44 years of age are STILL WORKING. Even if he has a stay at home order, my husband, my son, and my boyfriend will all STILL be working.

I see a lot less people out in Hyrum and when I have to go to Logan, I see a lot less. My husband travels from the South end of the valley to the North end to get to his job and he doesn't see a lot of people out and about.

KUTV got our county wrong. How hard is it to figure out which county is which. See, we aren't really part of Utah. See how many time they mention those of us up here.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: April 06, 2020 07:09PM

I know I've been asking around about how my co workers are coping with the seclusion. And the response I"m getting is very few of my friends are doing it. It's party time from what I hear. But if the young people stay away from the old ones then maybe it's ok. Sweden went with this policy and we'll see what happens.

Posted by: Third of Five ( )
Date: April 06, 2020 07:15PM

It’s certainly better to do it sooner rather than later. Do you not have lockdown in Utah? Here we can only go out for food or outdoors for exercise alone, and that’s it. The police can give massive fines for breaking these rules, and if you break self isolation when you have symptoms, they will arrest you. I thought this was the same throughout the world?
But then here they waited til it got serious. In the hospital I work in, it seems about ten people a day are dying from it.

Date: April 06, 2020 08:45PM

Nope. Utah, with all those leaders with the "Power of discernment" is one of 7 States that haven't issued a Statewide lock down. Smart-huh?

Posted by: Third of Five ( )
Date: April 06, 2020 08:49PM

WOW. I somehow didn’t know this.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 06, 2020 10:34PM

Stillanon, I wonder if it’s more that the governor is concerned with the “wing-nuts” who would organize and flaunt an order. So far, Utah (with a few Airport exceptions) is staying careful. Most people, myself included, are scared shitless of COVID-not only for ourselves but for infecting others. I’m socially-distanced from grandkids, I don’t want them exposed if I’m a carrier. I hope all is well.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: April 06, 2020 11:44PM

BYU Boner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Most people, myself included, are scared
> shitless of COVID-not only for ourselves but for
> infecting others. I’m socially-distanced from
> grandkids, I don’t want them exposed if I’m a
> carrier.

The distancing is the best thing all 'round, they're saying. I'm hearing plenty of reminders to hunker down only with the people you live with. Especially in the US, the top medical advisers are saying don't even go out for groceries or medications this week (and next?) You would all know better than me.

But, just for the sake of clarification re transmission: Our medical advisers here in Canada are saying today for the first time that it may be a good idea for us to wear masks when we're out and about, due to the newer understanding that perhaps a significant portion of the population have the COVID virus but are not yet showing symptoms and some may never show symptoms at all (both are considered "asymptomatic") and asymptomatic individuals, it is now known, can infect others with whom they come into close contact (hence the 6-foot distance we're advised to keep between ourselves and others - which proves to be challenging to do in many locations and situations).

It can be tricky to remember but the mask does NOT protect the wearer from COVID. Rather, it protects others *from* the wearer if that person is unwittingly an asymptomatic carrier of COVID and therefore a danger to anyone they may contact. It can potentially also prevent the transmission of other germs like the common cold or the flu.

Therefore, if you wear a mask, even if you have COVID you are potentially protecting others from your contagion. You have to be careful though to ensure the mask always completely covers your nose and mouth and that you don't play with it, constantly pulling it up if it's too big and/or keeps slipping down, contaminating the front of it with your fingers, sprinkling virus bits into the air, and also that you don't wear the mask so long that it gets damp or wet from your (hot) breath which renders it less effective. (I see a LOT of people with masks down below their noses, or that sink down when they talk - that will not protect anybody!)

So I was going to say maybe you could see the grandkids if you were all wearing masks. But in view of all the above, danger lurks. And besides, the best advice is to keep separate and visit remotely.

A big sacrifice to be sure but it will end in due course and hopefully the precautions now will limit risk and promote the joy of a happy reunion in the near future.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2020 11:46PM by Nightingale.

Date: April 07, 2020 01:03AM

You don't live in Utah -do you? If so, I apologize. No matter what the Governor is saying, we are free range idiots here. Roving packs of 20 kids everywhere.Adults not distancing. It's a first grade shit show. Everyone is doing their own things.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 07, 2020 12:50AM

You used to cough to cover a fart...now you fart to cover a cough.

Posted by: snagglepuss ( )
Date: April 07, 2020 01:59AM

Has anyone tried to file for unemployment yet?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 07, 2020 07:55PM

It really depends on the state. I hear that New York is a nightmare of delays. Maryland you can file right away.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: April 07, 2020 08:20PM

4/7-
No new deaths today...

Let's think positive.

~150k have recovered from the virus...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.