Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SomeMillenial ( )
Date: April 10, 2020 08:08PM

Less than 0.17% can't be wrong!

That is how many the church claims as members vs world population and probably about the same odds Oaks had of a pretty girl talking to him in college.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: April 10, 2020 08:10PM

in b 4 ~

more than you can afford OPie ~

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 11, 2020 11:34AM

About the same odds that three of the world’s sexiest supermodels will show up at your door asking for a foursome.

Posted by: Warrior71783 ( )
Date: April 23, 2020 01:14PM

Dang it, i was hoping my odds were better than that.

Date: April 23, 2020 01:23PM

I think people just said it was 'true' because of strong social pressure and parents. I didn't think it was true but everyone else did so i said it was true a couple times in the all powerful microphone when i was very young. In the back of my mind i had about a million questions that i was too afraid to ask because i would get the robot tape " it will all be answered in the millenium"

And i am dead certain from what i have read of jesus in the new testament, the guy did not strike me as a guy that would do death oaths or secret handshakes or chant. He actually was against secret combinations but mormons do not read the bible, like, at all. Even though the bible is probably mostly if not all false it still contradicts mormonism. Hell, the real jesus alone by himself contradicts mormonism. New testament jesus i mean when i say real jesus.

Date: April 23, 2020 01:27PM

You'd be amazed what people would say is true for survival purposes and social pressure to fit in to the herd. Like in the book 1984. Insane pressure was put on the guy to convince him that 2+2=5.

Posted by: Third of Five ( )
Date: April 23, 2020 02:16PM

That book reminds me so much of the mormon corporation it’s uncanny.

Date: April 10, 2020 08:12PM

Keep in mind this if the numbers the church claimed is true.
It is more likely 1/3 of that so 0.006% or about the same odds as Bednar getting into heaven.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 10, 2020 08:17PM

What are the odds that TSCC is false ? 100% apparently.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 10, 2020 08:19PM

What exactly is the church? What does it teach?

I'm not sure how one can evaluate the truth of an undefined entity.

Posted by: Henry Bemis ( )
Date: April 11, 2020 09:25AM

Great point, LW. When I was an active believer, I often wondered what people meant when the testified that "They knew the Church was true." First, what is "the Church" exactly; and second, as you say, what does it mean to say that an entity (particularly a social or religious entity) is "true?"

I suppose one could try to identify a set of "necessary" tenets of Mormonism (beliefs) such that believing in such tenets would be deemed required to identify oneself as a Mormon. Arguably, (A) belief in a literal interpretation of the BoM would be one; and (B) belief that JS was directed by God (a prophet), would be another. There are a lot more tenets associated with Mormonism, of course, but maybe for purposes of discussion these two are the defining tenets that can be used jointly to evaluate whether "the Church" is true. Thus, we might ask, as the OP, what are the odds that A and B (jointly as a logical conjunction) are true?

Since the odds of (A) being true can be objectively evaluated; and since such odds really are close to zero; that fact alone would logically falsify the conjunction.

If (A) and (B), then T;
Not (A)
Therefore, not T
(Where T= Mormonism is true)

In short, given that (A) is almost certainly false, by objective standards, it is also highly improbable that "the Church" is true.

Another way of looking at this is to argue that unless a Mormon can somehow show that the BoM is "true," the entire foundation of Mormonism collapses; and in particular arguments about JS, or any other tenet, become irrelevant to the truth of "the Church."

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: April 12, 2020 11:51AM

Right, the greater the number of parts that require proof, the less chance of the whole being true. I'm no math wizard, but I suspect each part you add geometrically decreases the likelihood of it being true.

Posted by: sonofthelefthand ( )
Date: April 12, 2020 02:11PM

almost the opposite of the famous phrase: "the simplest explanation is usually the correct one".

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: April 12, 2020 05:15PM

And the simplest explanation for Mormonism is that it was all made up.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 12, 2020 06:00PM

William of Ockham would be proud of you!!

Date: April 23, 2020 01:31PM

The simplest explanation is that i am a mohawk lamanite now. Haha sorry i had to fit that in somewhere.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: April 23, 2020 02:06PM

The "church" is an inanimate object.It cannot think, speak, sing hear nor listen.H O W E V E R those who have gained power positions can! And do! They in the holy name of "Mother Church" forcibly interfere with the rights of whomsoever will allow them to do so

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: April 10, 2020 08:59PM

On a scale of 10 A-14

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2020 09:00PM by thedesertrat1.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: April 11, 2020 09:32AM

For me now, there is 0% chance. There is simply too much evidence to show that Joseph Smith was nothing more than a Jim Jones or a David Koresh typical cult leader.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 11, 2020 09:40AM

I.Still.Would.Not.Care

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: April 11, 2020 09:54AM

Date: April 11, 2020 10:00AM

I believe that playing the ghawd lottery, via the Mormon church, is like playing the lottery with a forged ticket that they sold you without telling you that you had to make payments on the ticket until you died.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: April 11, 2020 10:08AM

The Mormon definition of “truth” (which is shared by many other religions) conveniently avoids pesky facts. Truth is revealed by emotion, not evidence.

Moroni 10:5 states that by the power of the Holy Ghost you can know the truth of all things.

Posted by: Third of Five ( )
Date: April 11, 2020 10:37AM

This is how the mormon church manipulates (brainwashes/converts) everyone who believes in it. It’s seems quite effective too.
My new feelings trigger me to feel it is definitely BS. Mormons say 100%. I’d say 0%. Also convenient for them is that you can be perceived as being influenced by the spirit of evil if you disagree with them.

Date: April 11, 2020 10:46AM

With Mormons, it's either a three step process, or a never ending loop.

1) read the BoM
2) pray
3a) you receive a spiritual witness, you have proven that it's true
3b) you receive no witness. That means you weren't sincere enough, or sufficiently humble, or your heart and mind aren't pure enough, or the Lord is trying to test your patience. In any case, return to step 2 (or maybe step 1) until you get it right.

Posted by: Razortooth ( )
Date: April 11, 2020 11:31AM

They don't make odds that low.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 11, 2020 11:36AM

The Universe is an odd place. The question you should have asked is what are the odds that the church is true in any way?

I can imagine dying and seeing two glowing bearded men dressed in iridescent garb identical twins asking me what is wanted.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 11, 2020 11:42AM

ChurchCo doesn't follow-thru with Honesty & Kindness, they're ONLY lip service (ask if U don't believe me!); instead, they substitute Mormon stuff as their real objective(s), Actual Christ-like living is ONLY a distraction.

Therefore, since they've effectively abandoned the underpinnings of Christ's gospel that they advertise to 'get gain' ... In what possible way could they be 'true'?

Answer: NONE.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2020 11:56AM by GNPE.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 11, 2020 11:44AM

Can corporations be true?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 11, 2020 11:57AM

according to their Circus Master, senator Romney, they can, they're 'people' ya know...

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: April 12, 2020 12:11PM

The same question JW's ask of themselves. Is the Watchtower true? How about Scientology? How about the True Church of God just down the street from me that I pass all the time? The list is endless. Our brains get wired in a particular way when we have been in a cult for awhile that makes us accept absurdities and it takes time to rewire them to think clearly. There is no way the Mormon corporation is God's (if it exists) true corporation.

Date: April 13, 2020 01:09PM

Eric K Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There is no way the Mormon
> corporation is God's (if it exists) true
> corporation.

Hegel's thesis, antithesis, synthesis might be at work here and the Geist of creation is to make a Borg Church?

Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: April 12, 2020 12:53PM

Approximately 7 billion people on Earth. Approximately 14 million Mormons. My math comes out to .002%.....two one thousandths of one percent.

Posted by: David A ( )
Date: April 13, 2020 03:17PM

I'm going to be that guy.

= .002 = 0.2%

Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: April 23, 2020 12:13PM

Thanks David. My mistake.

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: April 12, 2020 01:34PM

0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001%

Kwaku doesn't agree,and he keeps coming up with "evidences". But they end up not holding water. I was once like Kwaku, young and believing all kinds of spurious evidences. That was before the internet era.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: April 12, 2020 01:41PM

What are the odds that there is only one correct religion on Earth and that my family members and I just happened to be born into it?
Quite small, I would say.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2020 01:42PM by scmd1.

Posted by: dogbloggernli ( )
Date: April 12, 2020 04:46PM

The evidence doesn't allow for it to be true. It's simply contradicted everywhere evidence is available.

The only path forward for LDS claims is under a trickster god premise such that evidence is no longer evidential. But then there is no working premise for any form of knowledge.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: April 12, 2020 06:12PM

Not a chance in hell - which I don't believe exists, so that answers that.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: April 12, 2020 06:14PM

The odds of a snowball in Hell.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 12, 2020 07:30PM

Ha ha ha. It is true, a true collection of buildings and dupes. That's not fake. Now, as for the god part, everyone tells ghost stories. The smart know fiction from fact. For those without a clue, no doubt the church is true.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: April 12, 2020 08:14PM

The odds of the church being true are about the same odds as waking up one morning next to a sea-bag full of unmarked bills and being struck by a falling coconut in eastern Washington.

Posted by: delbertlstapley ( )
Date: April 12, 2020 09:09PM

The same odds as Moses parting the Red Sea, talking donkeys, 1000 year old men, Lot's wife turning into a pillar of salt, JC walking on water and evangelical healing not being fake.

It's all bull shit!

Date: April 13, 2020 01:22PM

Slight translation error.

Lot’s wife obviously turned into a Pillar of Assault, resulting in my Trail of Tears.

Date: April 13, 2020 01:26PM

This is true because I Sodom. You will cry Gomorrah I'm sure.

Date: April 13, 2020 03:00PM

No need to get assaulty, EOD.

By the way, how is that mullet going?

Date: April 13, 2020 03:03PM

I bet it looks like this one.

http://www.sexymullet.com/

Date: April 13, 2020 03:30PM

I’m guessing EOD’s mullet is a bit thinner and grayer. But you definitely got the shorts right.

Posted by: JoeSmith666 ( )
Date: April 13, 2020 12:44PM

The same as Astronauts going to the Moon finding people who stand 6 feet tall and dress after the manner of Quakers.

Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: April 13, 2020 03:05PM

And-slim-has-left-town-ly yrs,

S

Posted by: Deb ( )
Date: April 13, 2020 03:31PM

A church is a building. It can't be true. But a belief system may have elements of truth in it. Probably many do.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: April 13, 2020 03:41PM

0%
Or close enough to call it.

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: April 13, 2020 03:45PM

I once calculated the odds of mormonism being true and I came up with the comparison of buying winning lottery tickets.

The odds of mormonism being true would be like buying a lottery ticket every week, week after week, and winning the lottery for 35 weeks-in-a-row.

Something like that.

I'm not saying it is impossible, I'm saying it is highly improbable.

Date: April 23, 2020 01:02PM

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 23, 2020 02:27PM

I think the church could be viewed as a collective cultural hallucination. Joseph knew how to induce them, at least with the eight witnesses (who saw the golden plates with their spiritual eyes) and the Kirtland temple dedication.

The effect is similar to a “pipe dream”, which comes from the days of popular smoking of opium. Superstition, spiritualism, and magical thinking we’re so ingrained in the public imagination at that time that more people were susceptible to Joseph’s special mojo.

Missionaries troll for investigators who get a contact high from them and want more.

Posted by: Leaving ( )
Date: April 23, 2020 02:47PM

1 in $100 billion

Date: April 24, 2020 12:20AM

lol I would have expected Sheri Dew to be saying this,

but Rusty what was all that in one in a hundred billion talk?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.