Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Curry ( )
Date: May 01, 2020 12:31PM

This was supposed to be the final year for the Hill Cumorah pageant but it was just announced that 2021 will be the final year.
https://www.rochestercitynewspaper.com/rochester/final-hill-cumorah-pageant-moved-to-2021/Content?oid=11735580

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 01, 2020 01:19PM

AND THE GOOD NEWS IS THAT....

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 01, 2020 02:25PM

I wonder what they were planning for their big finish? The actual Christ will walk down the hill in the final scene? :)

Or maybe another Hosanna Shout. Can't pass up an opportunity like that.

Date: May 01, 2020 02:33PM

Hankies aren't included, there's a slight charge for them...

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 01, 2020 03:36PM

Date: May 01, 2020 09:02PM

they CHARGE PEOPLE to sit & watch/listen to a missionary presentation????

WHAT A COUNTRY!!

Posted by: Curry ( )
Date: May 02, 2020 10:47AM

When I went, about 18 years ago, it was free. I think it still is free.

It was an excellent production technically. The sound, the lighting, the costumes—all very impressive. It’s just that it told such a weird story.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 01, 2020 09:39PM

That's a real sore spot for me. I went to the pageant when I was thirteen, and it was literally the hill that it's supposed to be. Now the Mormons lie and mislead people, claiming the Hill Cumorah is located in some mysterious elsewhere. It's one of the most obvious frauds in a religion that knows no dearth of fakery.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 05, 2020 09:19PM

I remember that too. I went when I was a teen and they made it clear that was the actual Hill Cumorah.

I could have sworn there was a plaque or something in the general area about it.

Really the thing I remember the most is that I got eaten alive by mosquitoes.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 01, 2020 10:15PM

I've been a tribal mormon for 67 years and I never got to attend the pageant.  Or any other pageant, unless you count the one BYU mission reunion I attended. That was some pretty flamboyant pageantry!

I wonder if that would be held against me by some of the ghawds-in-waiting who did?  And my gosh, what must those who performed in the pageant feel?  I bet many of them are gnashing their teeth and wailing!

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: May 01, 2020 11:37PM

Well you see Rusty was really inspired when he began cancelling all these pageants and temple dedication galas & stuff. Either that or Wendy showed him that the return on investment just wasn't there any more

Date: May 02, 2020 07:48PM

Behind every successful man is a ....

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 02, 2020 02:32PM

as now they will be able to attend.

I've never been a fan of mormon plays, pageants, dance festivals, road shows.

It is all so very BORING. They can put all the pageantry they want into something, but if it is BORING, who cares. I went to see the Martin Harris whatever it is the first year they put it on here in Cache Valley. They had a big cement outdoor stadium and it was 4 hours long. I hear they've shortened it. We went as one of our friends from the singles ward was in it and a big group of us went. He is now in prison for molesting young boys and has been for about 20 years.

My aunt has tried to get me to go to it again, but THERE IS NO WAY.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: May 04, 2020 12:36AM

Posted by: idleswell ( )
Date: May 05, 2020 02:19PM

Once upon a time, I lived in upstate New York within an easy commute from the Hill Cumorah. Every year somebody would be asking, "Brother Idleswell, will you be in the pageant?"

What a loaded question. The commitment to volunteer for the pageant was for 3 solid weeks dawn to dusk. They offered nothing less to serve evenings or weekends or part time - only the full ride scholarship. As a side benefit, you were exempt from Church if you were at the pageant!

I had no interest whatsoever in using my entire vacation for the Pageant. My TBM wife was not employed during those years and the children were off school. Why not join the circus (pageant)?

Mormons think nothing of pitting family against each other. They tried selling me on a rule that only full families could join the pageant. At the pageant your children will learn about their Book of Mormon heritage, meet other LDS youth and (maybe) a General Authority. You can't deprive them of experiences like *that*.

My answer to Sister Idleswell was always if they want you, they will accept you. I can fend for myself while she was at the pageant without engendering all this resentment they are concerned about. Had they considered that if they don't accept an entire family because of one holdout, they would be causing resentment?

What I learned from Pageant? I learned when dealing with LDS to say "NO." Never "NO, because ..." because a because gave them false hope that if they argue more they can get their way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2020 02:20PM by idleswell.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 05, 2020 04:45PM

I'm probably wrong about mormons selling tickets, but I clearly remember one thing about the Manti temple pageant. You had to have a TICKET to be admitted to the lawn area. My parents were on vacation and I clearly remember them driving from place to place looking to score "tickets" to the pageant. This was long before cell phones and internet so it was a very long hot day in July stopping at every nook and cranny looking for a place that had tickets.

Posted by: Warrior71783 ( )
Date: May 05, 2020 08:23PM

Got a few memories of going to that pagaent. Like i said my father was obsessed and i just tagged along from site to site. Where are the remains of millions of nephites in that great and final battle in the BoM i always thought. Did they ever find one sword or shield from that battle? Nope. I know we are all shocked at no remains of a great battle.

Posted by: Warrior71783 ( )
Date: May 05, 2020 08:26PM

But you don't ask those obvious questions adam. Not in a cult. You shut your mouth and accept the fantasy.

Posted by: OneWayJay ( )
Date: May 06, 2020 10:32AM

Missionaries for decades told of early European settlers having to stop and clear the land of bones and weapons of war, arrowheads, spears and such when they were plowing and farming in the area.

Just more lies, damn lies and Mormon Doctrine.

Posted by: MormonMartinLuther ( )
Date: May 07, 2020 12:14AM

They really need to finally silence all the doubters and dig up the cave where Joseph Smith got the sword of Laban as well as all the steel swords, brass directors and tapir taxidermy.

You know - finally give people a real Hill CumorahUppance.

Posted by: Perdition ( )
Date: May 12, 2020 05:32AM

For the Cumorah Finale in 2021, maybe the Three Nephites could show up. It's been a while since we last heard of their whereabouts...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.