Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Warrior71783 ( )
Date: May 06, 2020 04:27PM

Fast food is running out of food and it is making me feel very uneasy. Just a precaution.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 06, 2020 04:30PM

Food shortages seem inevitable to some degree. Let us us hope that shortages are sporadic and few. Growing your own food is definitely a cool thing to do, I think.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2020 07:13PM by donbagley.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 06, 2020 04:47PM

I think it's a good thing that many grocery stores are limiting meat purchases. Where I live, stores are limiting it to two or three packages per visit, which I think is fair. IMO if people are flexible it will work just fine.

Lettuce and beans are easy to grow. Carrots and radishes are normally fine. Tomatoes work as long as they get enough sun. I would stick to things that are easy to grow if you are just getting started.

Date: May 06, 2020 05:20PM

My new room mates know what they are doing and are teaching me. We've already started a compost pile. I bought a few things i want to plant. They were on board with this garden and growing our own vegetables idea. Hopefully it will mean less trips to the store.

Date: May 06, 2020 09:18PM

I used to garden with my roommates as well. It was a lot of fun. It's a great hobby!

The best garden that we had was when one of my roommates mixed manure into the soil.

Date: May 06, 2020 05:29PM

A few places ran out of meat yesterday so it made me think i really need to get involved in this growing my own garden thing. Not just as a hobby but to make fewer food runs to places that may not have food anyways.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 06, 2020 05:21PM

I'm not sure using fast food places as a standard of either availability or nutrition is a good idea. If you want to live, less fast food will help.

Check out grocery stores. They have real food. Well, some of it is real food. The clerks are generally nice, and don't need to be watered, unlike gardens.

Seriously, gardening can be a fun hobby. Enjoy.

Date: May 06, 2020 05:32PM

What if the grocery stores run out of food next down the road?

Date: May 06, 2020 09:20PM

The stock may be reduced, but they likely won't run out.

Instead of getting a fast food burger, make your own. Just get a pound of ground beef and you should get 4-5 patties out of it. You can freeze what you won't use within a few days. It will be a lot tastier than just about any fast food burger.

Date: May 07, 2020 04:18PM

But are you positive the grocery stores won't run out? Haha. Would be nice to have a few apple trees in the backyard just in case.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: May 07, 2020 04:37PM

There are many vegetables that you can grow from scraps of the vegetables you buy at the store.

https://www.ruralsprout.com/regrow-vegetables/
https://empressofdirt.net/regrow-vegetable-scraps/

Good luck!

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: May 09, 2020 06:01AM

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: May 07, 2020 09:57PM

none of us know the future but with this virus thing and it's uncertainty it wouldn't take much for the grocery stores to go down. All it would be is if the suppliers and distributors have an outbreak of ecoli, mad cow disease, coronavirus, or some other plague, The feds would shut them down and whole regions of the country could see famine,

There could also be an untimely flood or drought year that could disrupt groceries, or power supplies. Those on a national grid and live in the city are the first to suffer.

We'll see what happens this fall, things could get a lot worse than they are now.

Date: May 12, 2020 06:11PM

The feds shutting down food suppliers if there is a covid outbreak is my fear. What if all the cdl drivers got the virus and could not drive. CDL drivers are not the easiest thing to replace.

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: May 13, 2020 10:37AM

Warrior71783 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What if the grocery stores run out of food down the road?

Go further!

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: May 06, 2020 05:43PM

I'm planting my garden this weekend. Putting up the deer fence during the week after work.

My garden saga.....When I moved to my current house, I put in a 18 ft. x 26 ft. garden right away and it did great. We have clay soil and I composted regularly. After a few years, I had a few straw bales that I used for archery in the back yard and they were getting pretty grungy. Rather than throw them in my compost pile (which I've done before), I rototilled them right into the ground, thinking they would compost just fine. Well, they didn't. They sprouted a grass that I could not get rid of no matter how hard I tried. Ruined the garden for several years.

So I decided to remove all the dirt and start over. A guy across the street came over with his front loader and scooped out all the dirt about 10 inches deep and I spread that out in the front yard to fill in some low spots. Then I lined the garden pit with 3 layers of heavy craft paper, and had 21 yards of 3 way compost mix delivered. We put that back in the pit (half of it I did with a shovel) and I composted 3-4 yards of leaves, grass and steer manure mix over the winter. I rototilled the compost in last week, cut a new egde around it and started putting up the new deer fence. After all that, the garden grew to 19 ft. x 28 ft.

The soil looks great so I'm thinking the garden will be good again. It better be with all the cost of replacing it!

Date: May 06, 2020 07:50PM

Dang thats a lot of stuff that went into that garden. Well, i hope my roommates know what they are doing when it comes to all of that. I'm pretty much the rookie with this gardening thing. I do know what kind of things i want to plant though. Mostly fruits. We'll see how it goes.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: May 07, 2020 07:22PM

What kind of deer fence did you put in? I would love to do some raised beds but we have a lot of deer.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: May 07, 2020 10:05PM

I've got lots of dear where I"m at too, and other animals.

I put in a three foot chicken wire around my garden (for the squirrels) and then a three foot tall dear wire (wider holes) on above the chicken wire, I used metal posts and 2x2s together to make it taller. All bought at home depot. The fence was definitely the most expensive part of gardening.

Date: May 12, 2020 06:13PM

I think we will need a fence for my garden as well in my location good call.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: May 08, 2020 12:15PM

I used 8 ft. T-posts and 6 ft. Red Brand deer fencing. Posts are in, putting fence up today an tomorrow. I may trim a little off the bottom of the fence wire so I can set my posts a little bit deeper.

I spray painted all the posts dark brown too, they blend better with the yard than the green post with white top.

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: May 06, 2020 11:14PM

"Check out grocery stores. They have real food. Well, some of it is real food. The clerks are generally nice, and don't need to be watered, unlike gardens."

Are we supposed to "stay at home" or not?

Funny how people who support the shutdown still go to the store to infect the clerks and to become infected. Then label those questioning the shutdown as "covid deniers".

If we're going to shutdown, let's do a complete shutdown.

Here's a funny piece on this:

https://www.facebook.com/100010668466424/videos/1090323311333274/

"You must not leave the house for any reason, unless of course you have a reason, and then you may leave the house."

Posted by: jay ( )
Date: May 12, 2020 05:34PM

You’re absolutely right. We didn’t do the shut down correctly. But will get a second shot at it later.

Date: May 12, 2020 06:16PM

Many more shots i'm thinking. I live in idaho where everyone thinks they are protected by jesus wherever they go. This could take a while to get idaho convinced they are in danger of ,well, anything

Posted by: MormonMartinLuther ( )
Date: May 06, 2020 11:25PM

That is all well and good but can you grow me a cheeseburger?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 07, 2020 10:40AM

No worries. Some adolescent who just picked his nose and a zit will be happy to hand you one through the drive through window.

Someday we will be able to "grow" meat for cheese burgers from cells efficiently. It would be interesting to see how that changes how we treat animals in the coming centuries.

Date: May 07, 2020 04:23PM

Don't eat cheeseburgers. I do like me a carne asada burrito but they ran out of meat a couple days ago at the place i buy them so i could not get one. We'll all be forced to be vegetarians pretty soon here reguardless of not growing a cheeseburger.

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: May 07, 2020 10:02PM

Really? They gonna run out of fish too?

Date: May 10, 2020 01:16AM

Maybe not fish but i feel chicken will be the next thing that runs out.

Date: May 13, 2020 10:43AM

Don't eat all the meat or more will have to be grown!

We are growing the vegetables to eat now!

Eat them or the 'meat' will... while carnivores starve...

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 07, 2020 08:03PM

Just don't plant your own corpse.

Posted by: Warrior71783G ( )
Date: May 12, 2020 06:18PM

I will try not to and i will do my best not to dig up zombie jesus that visited the americas that one time.

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: May 08, 2020 01:22PM

It probably won’t help with the drone swarms spreading the virus at night in the air. Let us know how your garden is growing.

Date: May 12, 2020 06:19PM

I will smash any drones with a bo-staff. Got it covered.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: May 09, 2020 11:50AM

I plant a small garden, mainly to get vine ripened tomatoes, so much better than green ones in the grocery store.

But I never figured the garden was going to get me through the tough times.

Like many of you, I've seen the increase in gardens at bad times like the gas shortage in '73, WTC 911, now COVID.

I know of a few people that have the area and do grow large gardens, one donates 75-90% of her yield to the food banks.

But to the new gardens, just know it takes usually 90 days from planting to harvest. You're not going to survive if you're counting on a garden for your food this summer.

One other item, I was in a store looking for ripe tomatoes. Most were too green, but a produce manager was culling the display pulling the almost ripe tomatoes and getting rid of them.

I asked why, he said they go thru all the fruits and vegetables daily and toss the ripe and nearly ripe items away. If allowed to get ripe, it attracts fruit flies and they create a health hazard. Such a waste of good food.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: May 09, 2020 02:40PM

I understand their problem, but why in hell aren't they sending this to food banks??? They would be gone in an instant, and the people would eat them before they start attracting the flies. ARGH!!!!!

Date: May 13, 2020 10:45AM

Or put them outside, (FREE) where they belong!

Posted by: OneWayJay ( )
Date: May 11, 2020 07:54AM

A good pest solution to protect your new garden is a quality Air Rifle. Shoot pellets with enough authority to take out most pest animals that would eat your crop. A good side benefit is that during nasty weather you can set up a shooting range in the house. Mine is 10 yards. Pellet trap made of truck mud flap and sand at the end. When it is sub zero(f) and nasty out I practice shooting. When it warms I can take the skunks, rabbits, squirrills and such in the garden, from the porch 20 yards away. The sound of the pellet hitting is louder than the shot - Benjamin Marauder air powered pellet rifle in .177 and Air Arms TX200 MkIII - even more accurate and spring powered.

You do get what you pay for and accuracy is the name of the game. Eye shots at 20 yards are the norm for these rifles. Depending on what you shoot you can eat your kill.

The Nova Freedom is a self contained air powered "pump" air rifle. Nothing extra needed except maybe a few extra 10 shot magazines.

When you get good and have a decent scope you can shoot the aphids off the leaves at 30 feet all day long - and have fun with pest control. Including those feral cats that come in from time to time.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 12, 2020 01:47AM

Wouldn't a rabbit fence be easier and cheaper than 24 hour rifle surveillance?

These tomatoes and strawberries are going to end up costing about $23 a pound

Date: May 12, 2020 06:25PM

I don't shoot animals. Call me a sissy or softy i do not care. Shooting animals for sport and not for necessary food is a bizarre concept to my brain.

Date: May 13, 2020 10:50AM

Somebody's got a shoot those cheeseburgers.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: May 11, 2020 08:25PM

I did this one year when I was considerably younger, and it was back-breaking. I made a HUGE vat of garden-grown tomatoes, onions, garlic, peppers, and I think I threw in some tomato paste from the store, and seasoned it to my own low-sodium taste. It was thick enough to used for either pasta sauce or pizza sauce.

It tasted really, really GOOD, but the effort was exhausting, and this had to be 20+ years ago, and long before I had shoulder problems.

You might want to look into this, Adam. It is very rewarding on a very visceral level.

Date: May 12, 2020 06:27PM

Maybe i can get pickle guy to do the pickling part haha jk.

Posted by: Third of Five not logged in ( )
Date: May 12, 2020 04:58AM

I whole heartedly agree this is a wonderful idea. I will do this eventually too but I first have to get used to at least mowing the lawn.

Date: May 12, 2020 06:29PM

I actually have a decent sized lawn at this new place and its pretty awesome. I definitely upgraded from the last place i was staying at.

Date: May 13, 2020 10:32AM

Warrior71783 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fast!, I am running out of food [FAST] and it is making me [slow down] think of RUNNING to the factories, farms, and FAsT "food" franchises...

The time to think is BEFORE hunger sets it. Otherwise you might not be able to run fast enough to get it.

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: May 13, 2020 03:56PM

We've started with three 17' rows for vegetables and a separate bed for flowers. We have a rabbit fence up - wire with plastic over it. If we lose the flowers, we'll be okay with that - we're pretty sure rabbits or squirrels already ate our tulips - they're mostly flowers from the previous homeowner anyway.

We're hoping this is enough for the two of us.

Tyson

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2020 03:56PM by Tyson Dunn.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.