Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 07, 2020 01:35PM

Emporer Palpatine, Crusty The Mormon Hater, Skeletor His Celestial Skeksis seems to be for me in my lifetime the most creepy man Mormons have to love.

But I'm probably excluding some good ones. Gordon "Stood for being a Mormon" Freakley or Uncle Fester S. Munster being good candidates for the creepiest man a Mormon ought to love.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: OneWayJay ( )
Date: May 07, 2020 04:06PM

ET, Ezra Taft Benson. The Political hack who wanted to run as Vice Presidential candidate with George Wallace - the dirtbag racist and former Governor of Alabama.

ET was a real slimeball. Bigoted and prejudiced and a right wing nutjob whose real hero was John Birch.

After he died I did go up to the cemetery near Franklin, Idaho and pissed on his grave.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 07, 2020 06:33PM

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: May 07, 2020 06:49PM

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: May 08, 2020 11:23AM

Thomas Monson always came across to me as creepy.Never met him in person but I never liked the way he spoke and his talks were too insincere. He also had a rather weird skin tone, sort of like he had risen from the dead.

Ezra T. Benson was introduced to me by two of his granddaughters so he was pleasant and seemed nice and grandfatherly.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: May 13, 2020 03:05AM

Ezra lived in my parent's building. He was a nice man.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 08, 2020 12:31PM

Oaks gets my vote.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 08, 2020 01:03PM

I never loved any of em but Kimball was a creepy fucker to me. When he was an aposthole he spoke at our stake confernz. I had a cold..felt like shit..was hot..and he droned on and fucking on in the coffee can full o' rocks voice and my brain is screaming "shut the fuck up so I can go home". And his stories were boring to boot.

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: May 08, 2020 04:41PM

I always liked Kimball - despite the bone crushing guilt inducing Miracle of Forgiveness.

I ended up feeling sorry for Benson when I saw him attempt to speak at a regional conference in Los Angeles and realized he was senile.

I also really liked Hinkley until near the end when I finally realized who the man behind the curtain was.

Monson always came across as insincere despite his attempts at feel good stories. He had black shark eyes that always creeped me out.

I always here the Emperor's theme from Return of the Jedi every time I see Nelson

So after short consideration and for the fact that he promotes a conditional love Christ, I vote NELSON.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 08, 2020 05:43PM

I saw Monson speak at a youth confernz in Edmonton in 1963 when was the mid 30's phenom rock star aposthole...and acted like it. I was in the Northern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium with 3999 uber righteous TBM youth (I was the outlier I think). It was a rock concert atmosphere and TSM was Mick Fucking Jagger. I remember exactly zero of what spewed from his piehole.

Posted by: OneWayJay ( )
Date: May 08, 2020 09:31PM

Lethbridge Reprobate Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I saw Monson speak at a youth confernz in Edmonton
> in 1963 when was the mid 30's phenom rock star
> aposthole...and acted like it. I was in the
> Northern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium with 3999 uber
> righteous TBM youth (I was the outlier I think).
> It was a rock concert atmosphere and TSM was Mick
> Fucking Jagger. I remember exactly zero of what
> spewed from his piehole.

That must have been the trip where he also spoke in the Dakota's in the USA. A new Apostle and a good, inspiring speaker. He was a missionary's delight for bringing investigtors to hear "The LardzAnointed".

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: May 08, 2020 06:22PM

Monson for sure. You can feel the life force drain out of you when he just around.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 08, 2020 10:17PM

their lack of concern - empathy for the individual members of the unwashed masses propels ALL of them into the Creepy Category for permanent status.

ninty & nine? Never Heard of that, is it in the Bom, D&C, or any other accredited volumes?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2020 10:18PM by GNPE.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: May 08, 2020 10:46PM

For creepiness, I have to go with Bednar.

The video of Bednar and the kid scores very high on the creepiness scale.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: May 09, 2020 10:10AM

Never having paid attention to any of them I am in no position to comment.
They were unimportant in my life!

Posted by: blbl ( )
Date: May 09, 2020 10:26AM

Monson always creeped me out the most. Something about his expression and the way he talked in that sing song voice always felt evil.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: May 09, 2020 10:21PM

Spencer Kimball was prophet when I was investigating the church. He died a month afterwards, then Ezra Benson came in. I remember being confused how quickly they forgot about one prophet and went right to the next one, like no big deal. If god revealed continuing revelation, I wondered how could a future prophet change things that a former prophet revealed to be true.
I do remember having a lot of dreams about Lorenzo Snow , for some reason.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 09, 2020 11:18PM

Kimball gets my vote. My parents were enamored and fooled by him. Being converts, they drove to Salt Lake to see the GC show. They waited afterwards to shake his hand and that forever bamboozled them to stay in the terrible church.

On the surface, Kimball acted like a prophet. He put on a facade that the he wasn't good enough to be a prophet. He acted as if every decision within the church was done with upmost reverence and humility.

However, he wrote horrible books like the miracle that anybody could be forgiven. He truly believed that homosexuality was a disease that could be cured with the correct form of torture. The greatest deception in my opinion was to portray a certain persona during GC, but was utterly cruel with the youth during "special firesides." It was under his tenure that "For the Strength of the Youth" program was crafted. This included these god-awful morality/worthy interviews where bishops were encouraged/expected to ask probing questions about sexuality.

Kimball called and promoted the worst people to ascend the church corporation. He enabled BKP to establish his way to worship through correlation; ie white-shirt priesthood power, revision of church music, what-to-say at lds funerals. Both GBH and TSM were poor choices as church administrators~ first presidency leaders for 30 years. He also called both Nelson and Oaks before he croaked.

I sincerely believe that Kimball laid a way for the church to become a self-serving ponzi scheme to grow its billions.

Date: May 10, 2020 09:26PM

Brilliant. You just detailed how one man - Kimball - took the church into the 21st Century with hate and callous disregard for people.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 13, 2020 01:55AM

I like your analysis but will quibble with some of your points.

----------------
> I sincerely believe that Kimball laid a way for
> the church to become a self-serving ponzi scheme
> to grow its billions.

Would you not agree that the church was always a ponzi scheme? Give everything now, including your wives and daughters, so you can obtain godhood and eternal sex later?

--------------
> Kimball called and promoted the worst people to
> ascend the church corporation. He enabled BKP to
> establish his way to worship through correlation;
> ie white-shirt priesthood power, revision of
> church music, what-to-say at lds funerals.

I'd put the blame for the ideological straitjacket on McKay. He ran what was for most Mormons a much gentler church, but he also let McConkie republish Mormon Doctrine, which defined the modern church's history and doctrine. I believe it was also under McKay that the Strengthening the Members Committee was born. McKay thus sowed the seeds of doctrinal tyranny that would bear fruit in the 1970s and 1980s, a process to which Kimball did not object even if he wasn't its sponsor.

It was likewise McConkie, that McKay acolyte, who started the musical pogram when he banned Bach from worship services on the grounds that it was secular music. I believe the white shirt nonsense also antedated Kimball, who only became prophet in 1973.

Finally, it was McKay who chose Packer as an Assistant to the Q12. Given that McConkie was Packer's father-in-law, that assignment virtually guaranteed that Packer would ascend to the apostleship. I don't think McKay thought through the implications of these various decisions, but he effectively set in motion the centralization of power and control that ended the period of relative tolerance over which he presided.

-----------------
> Both
> GBH and TSM were poor choices as church
> administrators~ first presidency leaders for 30
> years. He also called both Nelson and Oaks before
> he croaked.

I agree with all of that.

What I would add is that Kimball launched the sexual inquisition, raised homophobia to the centerpiece of the church, and took the homogenization of doctrine to another level. Part of that was unintentional; he believed the doctrines, including prominently the Lamanite stuff, and he was confident that setting Leonard Arrington loose would serve the church's interests. It was only later, when Kimball was taking his meals through a straw, that the Q15 decided to shut down historical inquiry. But in the meantime the switch to the three-hour block, the simplification of the missionary discussions, and the repetitive course plans were adopted.

What came out of this history was not a ponzi scheme--that was always present--but rather the commodification of Mormonism, the abandonment of any doctrinal diversity or individual spiritual autonomy. He turned the Mormon Church into McDonalds and the gospel into a heterosexual Big Mac, a flavorless meal that was the same everywhere one went.

Date: May 13, 2020 11:20AM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He turned the Mormon Church into
> McDonalds and the gospel into a heterosexual Big
> Mac, a flavorless meal that was the same
> everywhere one went.

I like that. It was a group effort and a trajectory of heterosexual homogenization of family worship started long long ago.

Posted by: Warrior71783 ( )
Date: May 10, 2020 01:40AM

The hinckster

Posted by: Ted ( )
Date: May 10, 2020 10:11PM

Joseph Smith

Posted by: Perdition ( )
Date: May 11, 2020 07:32AM

I am going with Rusty simply because his facial immobility just freaks me out.

Date: May 11, 2020 01:03PM

LOL! I wonder if Kimball's heart surgeon dabbled in plastic surgery?

Posted by: hgc ( )
Date: May 11, 2020 04:28PM

I met Bruce R McConkie at a Servicemen's Stake Conference in Germany. Gave me terrible vibes. Close behind was Joseph Fielding Smith and Mark E Peterson.

Posted by: Perdition ( )
Date: May 11, 2020 04:35PM

Did he perform his ever popular the Catholic Church is the 'great and abominable church' schtik?

Posted by: PhonyProphet ( )
Date: May 12, 2020 11:35PM

NELSON. PERIOD.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.