Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: May 09, 2020 12:54AM

https://futurism.com/elon-musk-neuralink-human-brain-implant

You just have to have a hole drilled through your skull and a wire inserted in your brain with a laser and have electrons shot into your brain, so you can communicate with others without speaking.
Kind of like Teslas.
What could possibly go wrong?
I mean they only slam into a jersey barrier once a month.
According to him, its too late.
We have already been assimilated.
Our phones have turned us into borgs.
If we leave our phones behind we experience phantom limb syndrome.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2020 12:55AM by schrodingerscat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 09, 2020 01:05AM

Musk needs to volunteer to be deported.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: May 09, 2020 01:46AM

If this subject interests you I can't say enough good things about Catspaw by Joan D. Vinge. It is part of a trilogy but it can stand on its own. Well written and great characters. I highly recommend it. I have read it at least a dozen times. Yeah, I am kinna weird that way :P

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 09, 2020 10:39AM

Nice try, Susan I/S, but I think I'll start with Psion. People often say that a novel in a series can be read and enjoyed without reading the preceding book(s), but I consider such individuals to be fibbers on a grand scale.

One unfortunate thing, I actually have to buy it, because it is neither a Kindle Unlimited read nor listed on Libby. Quel dommage!

I am constantly reminded that despite believing myself to be well-read, there are soooooooooo many books out there that need to be read that I have not even heard of!

I'll let you know later if I owe you some thanks.

And yes, I still consider all books but math textbooks to be fiction.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2020 06:16PM by elderolddog.

Date: May 09, 2020 05:54PM

Yes EOD, it is always best to read the series. You will like Psion, it is a more... action/spy and sets you up for Cats Paw. Cats Paw is more what Musk is doing and brings up some of the ethical and moral questions wrapped in a fantastic read. The characters were more interesting to me and hit on a deeper level. The third book, Dreamfall, is hard to explain. It wraps up the series on some points and has it's own...moral issues but they are different. Each book is very different but they do form a cohesive whole. Hubs loves them too :) Most libraries have them but since we can't do that right now I went looking and you can get them cheap on EBay :) Neither of us are big SciFi readers but these are really in a class of their own. I would love if you read them :)

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 09, 2020 11:22AM

Still can't believe people and governments throw money at that nutter for his cars and his weinie roasters (rockets).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2020 12:17PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 09, 2020 12:09PM

Well, I think the FDA will have a say about that.

Date: May 10, 2020 07:00PM

If Neural Link joins up with Apple/Google they can contact trace everybody and prevent contact with contagious people and stop pandemic. It has huge potential and is probably inevitable.
You have already been assimilated if you carry a smart phone.
Resistance is futile.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: May 10, 2020 07:09PM

ziller volunteers Dave the Atheist ~

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: May 10, 2020 07:58PM

If I volunteered to have a neural link in my brain, I'm pretty sure my thoughts would drive the other test subjects insane.

Posted by: Faraday ( )
Date: May 12, 2020 12:06PM

ookami Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If I volunteered to have
> a neural link in my brain,
> I'm pretty sure my thoughts
> would drive other test subjects insane.

But at least they'd rhyme:
Perfect thought crime!
Though slaves to telemetry
They can't take our poetry.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 11, 2020 02:02PM

Date: May 11, 2020 02:19PM

I listened to his interview on Joe Rogan (w/o THC this time)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqdo57uky4o
Where he actually says, "We're already Cyborgs, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em."
Wait, what?
Wasn't it Musk who said AI was our greatest existential threat and would replace us all in 5-10 years, 6 years ago?

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/oct/27/elon-musk-artificial-intelligence-ai-biggest-existential-threat

“I think we should be very careful about artificial intelligence. If I had to guess at what our biggest existential threat is, it’s probably that. So we need to be very careful,” said Musk. “I’m increasingly inclined to think that there should be some regulatory oversight, maybe at the national and international level, just to make sure that we don’t do something very foolish.”

“With artificial intelligence we are summoning the demon. In all those stories where there’s the guy with the pentagram and the holy water, it’s like – yeah, he’s sure he can control the demon. Doesn’t work out,” said Musk.

“The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most,” he wrote, adding that “Please note that I am normally super pro technology, and have never raised this issue until recent months. This is not a case of crying wolf about something I don’t understand.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2014/11/17/elon-musks-deleted-message-five-years-until-dangerous-ai.html

Wasn't this how the Matrix started out?
And Terminator?

This sounds like the Matrix on steroids.
Yet people will be saying, 'Shut up and take my money!!!" and camping on the sidewalks like it's a new Iphone launch at the Apple Store.

Date: May 11, 2020 03:56PM

I wonder if he ever saw the sci-fi horror thriller, "Demon Seed."

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 11, 2020 05:33PM

Musk is a narcissist verging on sociopathy. He drops wives and lovers and children like a boy does an old toy. He builds empires on preferential government subsidies and drives his own stock price up and down based on whether he wants to celebrate 420.

The notion that he and Zuckerberg and the others are now role models is terrifying. It's time for a new round of trust-busting as we try to wrest power away from the new irresponsible elite. Let them join the Borg, not normal people with their consciences and ability to love others still intact.

Date: May 12, 2020 10:59PM

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: May 12, 2020 02:11AM

Will this wire in our brain let us talk to the dog ?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 12, 2020 02:21AM

If by "the dog" you mean Musk, the answer is yes. He will not, however, listen to you.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: May 12, 2020 02:51AM

Are there any cases of people inadvertently connecting to Musk and yanking the wire out of their own heads ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2020 03:24AM by kathleen.

Date: May 12, 2020 12:15PM

kathleen Wrote:
> Will this wire in our brain let us talk to the dog
> ?

The Bounty Hunter?

Date: May 12, 2020 07:43PM

I am confused. Do you mean four legged doggies? They already talk!

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: May 13, 2020 12:00AM

If I remember correctly, it was also Musk who proposed that we seek volunteers for a one-way trip to Mars. They would be pioneers of a new world and thus, have no need to return to Earth.

Date: May 13, 2020 12:05AM

azsteve Wrote:
> If I remember correctly, it was also Musk who
> proposed that we seek volunteers for a one-way
> trip to Mars. They would be pioneers of a new
> world and thus, have no need to return to Earth.

I remember thinking at the time "Wait he wants to collonize a planet populated solely by a robot. to get away from robots?"

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: May 13, 2020 03:14AM

Elon Musk is a crazy eccentric. Brilliant in some ways and not so much in others. He just wants to live in a psy-fi movie and he has the money to play out his fantasies.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.