Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 11, 2020 02:55PM

I called my mother yesterday. She talked and then in walked my brother's family and she had to go. She told me she would call me back. Then she called back and talked for over an hour. But then my sister called and she had to go. I have a lot of siblings.

Part of me thinks it was a good talking to (me) because I don't care much anymore about her opinions. She ceases to anger me like she usually does. So instead of disagreeing I just listened like some of my siblings learned to do. I've lost the war of attrition. It upset my wife because she thought I should have defended people more. My mother would have just ditched me if I started to disagree with her or question her opinions.

In my defense, I was truly interested in how she was doing and how bad it was for my father. She hasn't changed much but I have this hope that she will change. I know it is totally in vane. But children of abuse never stop hoping their neglectful and abusive parents will change.

I think we had a goodish sort of chat. She waxed ponderizing in wondering how my father would eventually die and how she didn't want to go first for fear we would put him in a home. Yep it would have to happen. If he gets even a little worse we might be into elder abuse from neglect territory. But my Utah sibs are visiting every day - one kid per day - to check up on him. Ironically, she is now trapped with family instead of socializing in the temple and volunteer jobs. She has to deal with family. It reminds her of when she was trapped at home as a stay at home mother.

Which is a lie. When I rolled into this world at number 6, my elder sisters were old hat at babysitting so she could do PTA, church and anything else she could find to get out of our house. And interestingly when we talked about them dying I asked her if she wanted to die with an active social life or one more insulated with family. She didn't reply but changed the subject.

My mother, (shaking my head) she is nothing if not consistent. Apparently, she takes my father on a drive every day as well. She told me "he drives" because he is a back seat (front seat) driver. He tells her what turns to take and navigates for her. At least he hasn't lost that. He has trouble forming sentences and taking off his shoes before his pants but he knows where he is.

Anyway, you all didn't want all this information so I will get to the point.

My mother loves to gossip. She is a piece of work that would take too long to tell you about but one thing is she is a gossip monger. And apparently, word on Mormon street is the Mormon powers don't want anyone in their 80s working in the temple. She said that she was released from being a temple worker and only younger people will be able to be temple workers. They don't want the ancients clogging up their dead people processing plants anymore.

I told her that was super ironic given her church is led by a man in his 90s.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 11, 2020 03:30PM

That's a strange age cutoff. I wonder why? If it were Covid related, I would think the church would cut off the age even younger.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: May 11, 2020 03:44PM

"dead people processing plants".....ok, that is funny.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: May 11, 2020 05:00PM

Do they have enough people willing (and worthy) to be temple workers that they can turn anyone down?

Date: May 11, 2020 05:28PM

I doubt it is true. My mother isn't a good source of truth.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 11, 2020 07:20PM

Older members have a pretty good memory of how the church used to be. Many of them don't like the many changes that Nelson has ordered. I know my Mom doesn't; especially the "do nothing" ministering program.

Date: May 11, 2020 07:24PM

My mother said that they gave all the good jobs to the younger people in their "seventies" when she worked at the temple.

Who knows if this is just her or the truth but I did find it funny. She's feeling old and trying to enjoy what life she had left. Problem is I don't know if she enjoys her family much and I know she misses all the social interaction she had. She said she has quit substitute teaching (I'll have to see it to believe it) but she is in her mid eighties and didn't want to slow down.

Posted by: Evergreennotloggedin ( )
Date: May 14, 2020 05:46PM

Is that similar to the do nothing home/visit teaching spy program?

Posted by: MormonMartinLuther ( )
Date: May 14, 2020 02:17AM

It is a shame more younger people don't talk to older members of the church. I used to think they were crazy the things they told me. Earlier temple ordinances, Brigham Young's financial dealings, all the crap the apostles did when they could get away with it, etc.

No, no it couldn't be because the gospel was always like (regurgitate latest iterations of current prophet.)

But no, they were right. They were still pretty mentally sharp and the great thing is older members weren't born with the David McKay filter as I like to call it. They didn't sanitize everything to fit the branding. They just let it all out there.
They were so old they had nothing left to lose.

Date: May 14, 2020 10:19AM

My experience is they don't talk. My parents won't talk about the temple, the history, the word Mormon. They are in their mid eighties and tow the line.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 14, 2020 11:17AM

one of my Headlight experiences was around knowing that Mittens got civilly married one day in Michigan, flew to SLC the next day to get sealed which I was told I couldn't do; my SP didn't like that I had that knowledge / made the request for like treatment.

This is typical of the way TBMs don't / can't deal with reality as it applies to the Rank & file members.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 14, 2020 11:52AM

a friend's daughter and is the same age as my kids.

She works at the temple (when it is open) one evening a week. I talked to her about the old people and how rude they are. She said that is the reason more and more young people are being called to work. She said that they are NOT to correct anyone unless it is a BIG DEAL. They are to be kind and courteous at all times. She said they have had a lot of complaints and surveys have shown it is one reason people don't attend the temple very often.

I hated the old bitches.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 14, 2020 12:37PM

a 'Big Deal' in the so-called temple is

- using the 'wrong' knot to tie something

- having a tie for your Baker's hat on the 'wrong' side

how about needing an oxygen generator?

how about suffering from dimensia so badly when Simon Says to stand up you refuse?

Date: May 14, 2020 07:00PM

because my robe was on inside-out, now figure that one out. I got in trouble because the sleeves on my wedding dress were lace and they had a cap sleeve, but the bitches were cussing me out in the bridal dressing room and I had purchased my dress at ZCMI and I had asked the women what had to be lined and they had lined what needed to be. I asked about the sleeves and they said they were fine. AND THEN I get to the wedding day and they were going to make me cover the dress UNTIL my mother walked in the room. My mother is a very quiet person. She didn't put across a feeling of strength AT ALL, but just because an older lady walked in, they quit bugging me about it.

Every time I went, the old bitches were asses. Oh, baptisms for dead and they wouldn't give me a towel until I stripped naked and put the baptism outfit in a bucket. I thought we were supposed to be modest.

Not once did the old bitches treat me nice in the temple.

I told this girl about my experiences and she said that is what they were talking about. They told them not to treat patrons that way. But she is a nice girl. I'm sure there are so many temple workers who think they have all the power and they use it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2020 07:00PM by cl2.

Posted by: midnightseahorse ( )
Date: May 14, 2020 06:21PM

I have these problems and it's not just with Mormons. I'm married with 2 teenage sons and I'm 38 years old. A lot of people just assume I'm 15 before they get to know me. When I correct them they get really rude, so rude that when I show them my ID they get quiet and walk away. For some of us like me looking younger is NOT a compliment. I would like to look my age. It also has affected me getting a decent job. Adults don't include me in conversations because I supposedly look 15 instead of 38. It's sad that we're that vain. If I ever do get gray hair and wrinkles, I welcome them 100%. A lot of Mormons have given me crap for not looking my age.

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: May 14, 2020 12:33PM

MORMON kids are patently ignorant on MORMON theology, history, practices, etc., so make them the old people's go-to for carrying out these sacreligious and profane duties (callings) in these large, dark & spacious buildings.

This will be part of the changing face, er, arse or mormonism.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 14, 2020 12:41PM

My parents always preferred temple work over family time. Always.

Date: May 14, 2020 07:30PM

Ditto for my parents. The Temple is paramount to anything family. And they also think volunteering trumps family. From a "family church" it is ironic.

Date: May 15, 2020 08:55PM

my sister's 25 years later. He made it to mine. My mom went with friends now and then.

Mormonism wasn't the same in my house as a lot of what you guys lived with. I'll be FOREVER grateful!!! I was the one who drank the Kool-Aid the most of all the family. Although I was on my way out when I hit the temple and OMH! Went very few times.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2020 08:56PM by cl2.

Date: May 19, 2020 06:36PM

You were lucky? I wonder if my girls are more Mormon because I'm anti?

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 14, 2020 04:33PM

A few years ago the Pickle master (Bednar) gave a conference talk where he rebuked parents for freaking out the youth about what really occurs in mormon temples. To me, that's like blaming the cow for making plops that smell of shit.

Well, Mr. pickle breath. The church told everybody to NEVER talk about the temple. It was too SACRED to divulge for fear of punishment and loss of salvation. Youth took a year long temple prep class that was nothing but double talk.

In such class, everything was vague: You need to be worthy to make covenants during certain ordinances. You will find out when the time is right what you need to do. No surprise why people felt ambushed and betrayed.

Personal example: We were having an "Importance of temple work" type of lesson in the 16-17 year old priest class. We had a non-member school friend visiting because he was playing for the church's basketball league. So I was called upon the quorum adviser to explain what happens in the temple. Keep in mind that I knew only about dead person dunkings. So I proceeded to explain what happens during a youth temple trip and I gave out way too much detail. So much that I was not only cut-off mid sentence, but requested to stay after church to meet with a member of the bishopric and the young men presidency.

What was so egregious if not sacrilegious?

Apparently everything!

What I remember saying was wearing cheap polyester jumpsuits that reeked of stale bleach. I think I also mentioned that the same baptismal prayer was repeated over and over while being drowned. -I found being baptized to be most unpleasant and I suffered a sinus infection for a week or two after every dunk trip.

I hated the temple in my youth, and my disdain increased when I returned for endowment work.

Posted by: midnightseahorse ( )
Date: May 14, 2020 06:28PM

I hear ya! When I was 12 I got baptised for the dead and was told to forget all the names of the dead I was baptised for. It's hard when most all their first names were Nancy. I'm 38 and I still remember that!

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: May 15, 2020 05:29PM

It's so petty.

Created =

Made disequal by LDS

Who Couldn't Save A Dime

INEQUALITY - was ALL I saw-experienced in Mormonism. Higharchy

IMMUNITY, if your a bald old man.

I'll never be that.

Back to diversity!

Posted by: anonyXmo ( )
Date: May 20, 2020 04:47AM

I also keep forgetting that the vast majority of temples these days do only a filmed endowment ceremony and that most newer members outside of the Morridor have probably never seen an endowment performed by live actors in their life, and maybe don't even know that this used to be the norm and that the filmed version was quite a controversial innovation when it was first introduced.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: May 21, 2020 10:00AM

At some point, there will be temple workers who do not even believe that the mormon endowment ceremony once included threats of having your throat slashed open (spoken of as a PENALTY in the ceremony itself)if you ever reveal mormon secret handshakes. Older people remember things that can be inconvenient for the church. If the church wanted to introduce something to the temple ceremonies that conflicts with how it once was in a ceremony of the same name, they would want to release all of the older temple workers first. Maybe they'll re-introduce "pay-lay-aile" with a new meaning that says "oh god, please give me the strength to pay fifteen percent tithing". Cause we all know how these 'eternal ceremonies' are universal and unchanging truths (not).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2020 10:02AM by azsteve.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.