Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: May 11, 2020 05:08PM

...allegedly blaming spread of COVID-19 on Jews:

https://www.wsyb1380am.com/news/ny-couple-arrested-for-hate-crime-allegedly-blaming-spread-of-covid-19-on-jews-police/

From the article:

"Paulo and Clelia Pinho, 35 and 46 respectively, of Queens, were charged with hate crimes for the incident that took place around 8:30 p.m. Sunday at the
corner of Bedford Avenue and Ross Street, the police said. Paul Pinho allegedly called 911 to report a large crowd gathering, according to police.

He and his wife allegedly got out of their car, accosted the men, shouting out slurs and attempted to take away their face coverings, according to the
NYPD.

“You’re the reason why we’re getting sick,” one of the suspects allegedly said, according to police.

A struggle allegedly ensued and the couple was detained by Shomrim patrol, a volunteer watch group, until officers arrived and took them away, according
to the NYPD. The victims refused medical treatment while the suspects were treated for injuries they sustained as they were being subdued, police said."

Nice couple! Sometimes I wonder why this virus or other crises that should bring us together brings out some of the worst in our fellow humans.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 11, 2020 05:23PM

Sounds more like a case of "social distancing shaming" than a hate crime. The mayor called in the police about ten days ago to break up a large crowd formed as part of a Hasid funeral. If this was another large crowd in Queens, the epicenter of the epicenter of the worst US outbreak, I can understand a certain amount of paranoia and anger.

Calling 911 seems reasonable. Slurs and accosting people in the crowd is over the top. But people in, of all places, Queens, NY, have reason to be on edge.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 11, 2020 05:29PM

I'm not sure challenging three Jews for being too close together is a great idea if you are then going to wrench off their facial coverings. I mean, why rip off the masks if you are truly concerned about the virus?

This wasn't about social distancing.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 14, 2020 03:47AM

Ah. I didn't read the details, and took the referenced part in OP about a crowd actually being a crowd. The article is no longer at the linked page, which raises another warning flag.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 11, 2020 06:27PM

So they were driving around the city for no reason ?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 11, 2020 06:31PM

Imagine what would have happened if three Hasidic Jews had been jogging down a street in rural Georgia. . .

Posted by: MormonMartinLuther ( )
Date: May 14, 2020 12:47AM

Stupid people do stupid things.
Like trying to force their world view on others.

This proves mormonism yet again doesn't have a monopoly on stupidity but I am sure their names have been noted by missionaries and they will be contacted shortly.

Say hello to Bishop Pinho.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.