Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: midnightseahorse ( )
Date: May 12, 2020 12:02AM

Years ago I asked a Mormon bishop for help, when I told him about the low income apartment I live in he said we all do drugs and sleep around. I don't do drugs or sleep around. I have 2 teenage sons by the same man, it didn't work out because of Mormon invasion. I'm now married to their stepfather for 12 years now. I never cheated on anyone either. Ksl has a comment board I was on recently for 3 months. They actually printed some of the stuff I wrote defending the poor, but I guess I went too far because they kicked me off. Ksl is run by a bunch of Mormons. I have also been kicked out of Mormon and Christian churches because I refuse to believe in their violent God. I now believe in good non religious angels and have seen better results so far. I don't like how the poor and homeless are always villianized and scapegoated. They always get stale to expired food and drink from soup kitchens and are never asked what they want or need. The homeless shouldn't have to accept what they don't like or are allergic to. Giving them blankets and leaving them in the snow with just a blanket isn't charity. The poor and homeless always have to worry about getting kicked off health insurance and food stamps because their counselor quit on them or something stupid. A lot of homeless people I've met would like to work but are sick of the run around. I fully believe Mormons are behind all these problems so they can waste money on their fancy temples and churches instead of helping the poor and homeless. Mormons also spy on non Mormons so they can have someone to scapegoat. Another bad Mormon experience, when I was a kid, there was a song I knew all the words to and wanted to sing it. Instead they had one of their favorites that didn't know the words lip sing it. I have had a lot of mean and cruel experiences with Mormons and Christian's and I'm glad my husband, kids, and I are away from religious abuse. I'm all for a heavenly paradise with my loved ones though.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 12, 2020 01:14AM

Yeah, it's not heaven if my dogs and cat aren't there.

As for mormons not caring about the poor and homeless, it's because they "know" the poor and the homeless are only that way due to unrighteousness.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: May 12, 2020 03:06AM

All dogs go to heaven. Maybe cats too, when they’re good and ready.

The church is super righteous because of its $100B war chest. If they spent it on charity, what would they have to prove they’re righteous?

OP should be glad she’s not Mormon. That religion turns good people into assholes. SLC couldn’t even get a homeless shelter built. Mormon neighbors always blocked it. They really are un-Christlike judgmental pricks.

Date: May 14, 2020 04:47PM

I guess I'm evil because I refuse to stop wearing my comfortable tank tops. I'm 38 years old and don't enjoy being told how to dress. Like I've said, I never cheated on anyone, I just don't like modest clothes. What you enjoy wearing shouldn't define what's in your heart. I've met people wearing clothes with the Satan symbol and they turned out to be real sweethearts. Sometimes outfits just look cool.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: May 12, 2020 03:10AM

This is very true. It may help to look back in time and remember where Mormons come from and where they may have got this tradition. The leadership comes from Vermont, It's infused with a New England attitude. Back in colonial times research has shown that the North East had virtually no homeless, there was a mindset of a strong middle class that everyone was apart of. They only sent to America those of strong values and those who had a pretty good amount of money. The tradition from Medieval East Anglia was that the Town helped their own poor but refused to help other towns poor.

Places further South (Virginia and the Carolinas) were completely different there were homeless all over the place. Extremely poor whites living on practically nothing, and plenty of Slaves who were perhaps poorer than the homeless.

But Utah mormons have carried this same idea into the 21 century, an attitude of Yankee self reliance, boot straps, and elbow grease.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: May 14, 2020 12:31AM

"Back in colonial times research has shown that the North East had virtually no homeless, there was a mindset of a strong middle class that everyone was apart of. They only sent to America those of strong values and those who had a pretty good amount of money. The tradition from Medieval East Anglia was that the Town helped their own poor but refused to help other towns poor."

Have you ever read a history book? Are you aware that British convicts were sent to the colonies? From Wikipedia:

"It is estimated that some 50,000 British convicts were sent to colonial America and the majority landed in the Chesapeake Colonies of Maryland and Virginia. Transported convicts represented perhaps one-quarter of all British emigrants during the 18th century."

The British wanted to colonize the new land and weren't really particular about who did it. In addition to convicts, many poor came as indentured servants: "Between one-half and two-thirds of white immigrants to the American colonies between the 1630s and American Revolution came under indentures" (Wikipedia). After several years of hard labor they were able to buy land and start their own farms.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: May 12, 2020 10:54AM

Needing help is seen as being out of God's favor in Mormonism. Mormons believe God rewards in dollars. Surest sign of sin is lack of dollars as illustrated by what that bishop said to you.

The religious spread the rumor that all good comes from religion. I have found more goodness from the non-religious who give and aid for no other reason than that they want to and are not concerned with heavenly reward.

Getting rid of religion gets one in touch with their true self which is in tune with the natural man--you know, the enemy to god-- the natural man who understands the basic human need for reciprocity and kindness--Two things religion tends to atrophy.

Date: May 14, 2020 07:09PM

True, the bishop did say I wasn't doing what I was "supposed" to be doing meaning not living like a Mormon robot.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: May 12, 2020 11:11AM

Maybe it's because so many Mormons know they're t-h-i-i-i-s-s-s close to being poor and homeless themselves, and being around the current poor and homeless reminds them of that.

Also, there's the prevailing attitude among conservative people (very few of whom have ever been poor) that poverty is your own damn fault and you just need to pull yourself up by your bootstraps, even if you have no boots. Add to that the Mormon belief that God prospers the righteous, and the reason you're poor is you're sinning too much.

Date: May 14, 2020 03:40PM

Yeah and they always seem to blow off what Jesus says in the New Testament about the poor people inheriting the kingdom of God. Maybe that scares them.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: May 12, 2020 11:25AM

“when I told him about the low income apartment I live in he said we all do drugs and sleep around”

Does he know that drugs cost a lot of money? It’s the rich kids in his ward who do drugs and sleep around. He signs their temple recommends.

Date: May 14, 2020 03:41PM

Exactly! Thank you!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 12, 2020 12:07PM

I was on a committee from a SLC non-LDS church that donated money to local charities, primarily medical service charities. There are more of them than you might think. We also volunteered to serve food at the homeless shelter and still do lunch once a month at a shelter house for teens.

Anyway, I know the LDS Church gives some money to various local charities, and they seemed to donate quite a lot of food to the homeless shelter. Three meals a day for 4 or 5 hundred people requires more than a case of canned corn. A pretty substantial supply chain is needed to manage a project like that. As a share of their total cash on hand, the shelter supply. of food is probably just a rounding error, but still, the shelter and its patrons would really have to scramble to make up the difference.

I don't know how much or how often they donate, but the permanent staff at the shelter seem pretty grateful. I'm a bit surprised they don't beat their chests about it, but my theory is they don'w want the word to get out because they fear they would get hit up by a bunch of people who feel they are more deserving of a handout than the SLC homeless.

Posted by: sonofthelefthand ( )
Date: May 12, 2020 12:12PM

I think that for some Mormons, blaming the poor and the homeless for their problems gives them a license not to help them. That way they get to keep their time and money for other things. Mormonism can facilitate greed in this way. Kind of ironic, since the Christian way is to shun greed as evil, and at the very least give the appearance of helping the poor.

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: May 13, 2020 10:25AM

If MORMONeyISM practiced what it preached it would be so busy practicing it would have to stop preaching!

Posted by: MormonMartinLuther ( )
Date: May 13, 2020 11:51PM

As a TBM as part of a ward or stake council, when the group would brainstorm about how to help people come unto christ I would suggest volunteering at a soup kitchen or other things in the community and I would get the strangest looks. It looked as though I had call their sons and daughters all whores. I was shocked.

I slowly began to learn that mormons don't want to actually do anything about helping the poor or homeless but only to look good looking they are doing it.

This is why Facebook has finally been made an approved LDS tool of choice for virtue signaling in these, these even later last days.

Date: May 14, 2020 04:01PM

Yeah and I've actually been scapegoated because I wouldn't let the Mormons help me. I did let them "help" me for a couple of years then stopped because it wasn't real help. Plus the bishop also had the nerve to tell me I wasn't doing what I was supposed to be doing which meant joining the Mormon robots. I've also told a few of these Mormons I'd rather be poor than put up with their lies and crap. I'm also 38 years old and like my tank tops and don't enjoy Mormons telling me how to dress. The magic underwear is weird too.

Posted by: Ffelix ( )
Date: May 14, 2020 06:10AM

I built a tiny house (13x20) and put a wood stove in it for a homeless man I found living under the bridge. He is 75 and very crippled. He had a tractor roll on him about 20 yrs ago and can barely walk. He has lived here for 4 1/2 yrs, and it has been great. He is like family and very happy.

We also took in a 55 yr. old homeless woman who is a member and who had no place to go. We tried to get the bishop to find a room in the ward for her but no one was willing. We don't have a lot of money or room and there are plenty of people in the ward with big houses with lots of empty rooms they could offer for low rent but they won't. The woman is looking for another place and has been with us for about 8 months. Where are all the good christian Latter Day Saints? They think they will get to heaven for church attendance, paying tithing and temple attendance I guess.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 14, 2020 09:41AM

You are a good person!

Posted by: Ffelix ( )
Date: May 14, 2020 01:44PM

Thanks Dagny, I don't know how good I am but I try to help out.

Date: May 14, 2020 04:05PM

May the real God/Goddess bless you infinity for trying. You're awesome!

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: May 14, 2020 08:42AM

I remember the attitude (among some,not all) that if you had been valiant enough in the Pre-existence, you wouldn't be having these kinds of problems in mortality. This wasn't just for Black people. This attitude has faded a lot,but it was once pretty strong. Valiant spirits get born to good, secure families. The doctrine of Pre-existence used to make me feel very depressed when things weren't going well. Mormonism is the most judgmental religion/belief system on Earth. As a naive teenager from a highly broken family, they lured me in with promises of emotional and spiritual support. I found myself being judged for the shortcomings of my parents. I didn't fit in with the Mormon religion at all, yet there I was. I remember poor families joining up and being active for a while, but soon they faded away, often showing up at a church with better attitudes. Economically unsuccessful people are not wanted in Mormonism. They want people that they can show off to the world.

Date: May 14, 2020 04:24PM

I'm done with all churches and religions. Even all the Christian churches I tried were just as bad if not worse than the Mormon churches I went to. My husband says an additional component of the Mormon churches pogrom against the poor and homeless is wrecking the environment for resource exploitation to feed their hyperbreed, build and boast prosperity agenda. It is truly "monumental" in plan, scope, and image.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 14, 2020 11:32PM

Yeah, they have a plan to take over the world.

Plans are easy, though.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 14, 2020 03:57PM

Homeless don't pay tithe. The money cult has no place for any who don't pay.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: May 15, 2020 02:49PM

My parents were married in 1930 just at the start of the great 1929 depression.
They struggled all through WW2 and beyond.
I came along in 1936 and was exposed to the trauma of this era.
We were forever on survival mode but I don't remember going hungry. Neither do I ever remember either the leaders nor the members rallying to my parents aid. The same can be said for his 8 brothers and sisters.
Like now, it was every man for himself, and the devil take the hindmost

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: May 15, 2020 05:56PM

Mormons (Mormonism teaches, and practices to) look down on the poor and up to the rich, (Ain't that a b*tch?)

They want BIGGER
WE need BETTER

MORMONISM is an illusion. Many members are apocalyptically likely living through tyrany, foreign fantasies, dreaded dreams.

Mormons are taught to HELP [The LDS 'church'] themselves! To do so, they must also HURT themselves, and others, if 'necessary' or prudent.

To ignore, avoid, or STEP ON the poor is file & role # 1 in getting to the top, which is really the bottom!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.