Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bread roller ( )
Date: May 13, 2020 01:11PM

About 4 months ago my "shelf crashed".

No one knows, but I think a few may be wondering.

I see things differently now especially in regards to my own behavior.

I think I'm less certain about things in general, quieter in conversation, and even perhaps less judgemental.

Am noticing that my mormon family and friends seem to be experts on alot of things. Something I hadn't really noticed before (because perhaps I was acting the same way?)

Do any of you notice that true believing mormons, seem to have a definitive answer about most things?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: May 13, 2020 01:41PM

>> "Do any of you notice that true believing mormons, seem to have a definitive answer about most things?"

Yes, I've noticed that. I've also noticed that in many cases, their definitive answers can be quickly reduced to a BS response, which often results in that deer in the headlights look, a short pause, followed by bearing their testimony because that trumps all logic and truth.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: May 13, 2020 01:54PM

I would start questioning their sources. Many "older" members, like me will quote JST scriptures, Journal of Discourses talks, McKonkie's "Gospel Topics", etc... Even Boyd K. Packer. What they need to know is that these people's words, writings and talks have been disavowed, changed or told that it's not "gospel" but pseudepigrapha. Infants on Thrones just posted a BYU talk that was given by Bruce McKonkie back in the 1980's (before correlation) on the "Seven Heresies". They compare the talk as to what was published. Another example is Elder Poelman's 1984 GC talk where they forced him to edit, change and recreate his speech. Also you could point out to them that the Everlasting Gospel has been changing since Joseph Smith's death. I mean we could go through B. Young's "Adam/God" gospel teachings to Blacks and the Priesthood, to even them disavowing their own Marriage scriptures by the introduction of "Proclamation on the Family". Hint LDScorp had to change their whole doctrine and beliefs and history to become more like the Catholic, Protestants and other churches dogma back in 1996 when they were filling out the amicus brief for the courts when Hawaii was being sued for trying to legalize same-sex marriage. So here's some topics that you can google or look up on wikipedia and they'll cite sources that you can research further if needed. Adam/God, Patriarchal Priesthood, White Horse Prophecies, Blood Atonement (Reed Smoot trials). Henry D. Moyle driving the Church into massive debt/bankruptcy which is when the LDS corp started hiding their finances. On youtube you can find mormonleaks videos showing how Govt Officials who are Mormon are sharing classified/top secret intelligence (India/Israel) having nuclear warheads, How Mormon inc thought the Kurds and Armenians should be helped and protected because they were potential Mormons...Yet they did and said nothing as the Trump government allowed Turkey to attack and start an ethnic cleansing. Correlation really cancelled out and even can be pointed out to relatives as heresy and can't be used as facts, evidence or proofs since they've been changed, disavowed and denied--never to be published again. I'd also suggest watching Brother Jakes's videos especially on Correlation.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: May 13, 2020 01:58PM

When you believe, nay know, that you are God's special chosen people who are the only ones who know the true Truth and have the full FULLNESS of the gospel, you then feel heavily the onus to know everything of any importance.

If you don't know it is important to disparage what others claim to know as a way to seem more knowledgeable. Mormons aren't the only ones who use this technique but the have raised it to an art form.

I mean you have 12 year old deacons with more power than the POTUS, haha, so the pressure is there to play the part! Also why missionaries can be so condescending.

I sense you are not missing that part of Mormonism, bread roller.
Being superior is a lot of work sometimes. :)

Posted by: bread roller ( )
Date: May 13, 2020 02:02PM

I think that you take is very accurate.

It's as if when you have all the truth - your head swells and makes you feel like you have "all" the truth...

The superiority is obvious and I see that I had it as well.

My confidence has taken a hit.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: May 13, 2020 02:17PM

The way I see it is that your confidence has not taken a hit, but is finally free to grow naturally.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 13, 2020 02:15PM

I believe most people believe they know some truth, and how to avoid some of that truth from affecting their lives. I think many TBMs have sincere plans to repent ... someday, even if only temporarily.

When you cast loose of The Truth it's either because you found a Truer Truth or you found that your current Truth lied to you.

An often amazing discovery is that life exists whether or not you know any Truth. And it can even be a decent life.

I try to live by the words of the greatest philosopher-queen ever, Doris Day, who said "Que será será."

Also, I tend to live dosed to the gills on optimism, waffles and Saucie.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 13, 2020 02:58PM

bread roller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do any of you notice that true believing mormons,
> seem to have a definitive answer about most
> things?

I notice this in many people. I saw it in myself strengthened when I believed. The Mormons I love need at least their belief in the organization of Mormonism to consider it the definitive answer.

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: May 13, 2020 03:12PM

Mormons THINK they know... but they still don't KNOW if they think.

It's probably too much to think about.

TO MUCH to know...

Fear

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: May 13, 2020 04:05PM

Yes. And yes to all above this post.

Your true beauty is beginning to unfold. Good job!

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: May 13, 2020 04:28PM

Congrats! It is a wonderful feeling to realize you are just normal. Normal comes in a wide variety of colors, shapes, sizes and life experiences however. To believe one has special inside info on god or religion makes that person almost intolerable to be around. You are free now to explore what ever or where ever you wish. Your mind is opening up and it will be exciting.

Date: May 13, 2020 04:30PM

Eric K Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You are free now
> to explore what ever or where ever you wish.

Just don't get The Covid. ;)

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 13, 2020 04:47PM

"true believing mormons, seem to have a definitive answer about most things?" ... dunning-kruger

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: May 13, 2020 05:09PM

Moroni 10:5
And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things.

ALL things! Woot! Never be wrong again!

Of course, way too many Mormons believe ANY thought that comes to mind must be the Holy Ghost.

Date: May 13, 2020 05:21PM

Thoughts that don't feel like their own.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: May 13, 2020 06:50PM

ya ~

as a young morgbot ziller was taught that mormons has the answer to everything ~

all technology ~

all science ~

all advances ~

all were because ~

"Priesthood" ~

later exmo ziller learned that mormons have the answer to nothing ~

nothing meaning nothing whatsoever ~

an that everything Joseph Smith, Jr. ever said was a lie ~

so ~

ya OPie ~

true beliefing mormons do do that ~

yep ~

Posted by: adamisfree2006 ( )
Date: May 13, 2020 09:09PM

One of my personal favorite comments I like to make is "the only thing I now know, is that I don't know".

As a Mormon I remember being so sure about things and being unafraid to tell someone "I know". Today i am very hesitant to use that type of language for fear of looking and sounding stupid.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2020 09:11PM by adamisfree2006.

Posted by: MormonMartinLuther ( )
Date: May 13, 2020 10:27PM

Two words - General Authority.

That should tell you all you need to know.

When pompous asses reach the pinnacle of elaborately marketed pre-godhood, there can be no other conclusion than they know more about anything on any topic than all the people on earth because they were so smart as to choose the only one true church.

Consequently they are "inspired" all the time which mormon doctrine teaches whatever you speak "when moved upon by the Holy Ghost ...shall be the will of the Lord, shall be the mind of the Lord ... shall be the word of the Lord ...and the power of God unto salvation." D+C 68

Problem solved. Delusions of Grand Knowledge accounted for,

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: May 14, 2020 01:17AM

Later when that GA’s revelation turns out to be an embarrassment, they say he was speaking as a man. If you can spout any crazy thing and be believed, why not take advantage of the situation? JS certainly did.

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: May 14, 2020 10:36AM

I see it as deflection. If you want to ignore the truth babble on about something else and avoid the subject. If you babble with an authoritative tone, people don’t notice you changed the subject. Then the person can continue the deception. Happens often in the world today. I find it right up there with bullying. Just MHO.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.