Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 13, 2020 05:46PM

I need a new set of words for their "Born in The Covenant" term. You see I was born because of Mormonism. My only worth is found in a Mormon context. Without Mormonism I am nothing but a hiss and a byword.

Why is that? Well, I was a planned birth. Very planned. Heavenly Father planned in fact. Do you know of the film "Saturday's Warrior?" Well, if my parents had their druthers that would be my story. I'm their Jimmy, black sheep, prodigal son, and all around sheep in wolf's clothing. I'm their kid that was almost left in a remote small town in Utah to fend for myself with nothing. Like those babies dropped off at orphanages, my father drove me as a teen out into the middle of nowhere to never come home again.

Are you like me?

Are you one of the people born into Mormonism only to fulfill your parent's dreams of Mormon glory for having had you?

What are we? Conditional kids? People for whom their only validation from family comes from a Mormon existence. What would you call us? Born in The Condition?

"While divine love can be called perfect, infinite, enduring, and universal, it cannot correctly be characterized as unconditional."

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/ensign/2003/02/divine-love?lang=eng

The prophet himself has detailed our condition.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: May 13, 2020 06:09PM

>> "What are we? Conditional kids? People for whom their only validation from family comes from a Mormon existence. What would you call us? Born in The Condition?"

I can relate to this. I was the last of six and very planned. Mom "knew" there was one more waiting to come and now, here I am.

My mom was very kind and loving, so I never got the feeling I was just a mormon chip they could cash in on from her, but my dad was total TBM. He was kind and loving too, but totally, deeply brainwashed by the church (He converted in WW2 as a young man).

my dad was talking to an older sister of mine once and he referred to his children as "the jewels in his crown" which she told me she thought was kind of a possessional way to put it.

Maybe instead of BIC, it should be BFC, Born For the Church.

Date: May 13, 2020 06:32PM

BFC. I like it. Glad you had parents who amazingly could overlook the "revelation" to have to and still appreciate you as an exMormon?

It is obvious that my brother and I aren't as appreciated since leaving.

Date: May 14, 2020 11:30AM

Yes, they still appreciated and loved me as a non-mormon, mom more than dad. Dad would have just been happier if I didn't leave the church.

My dad ended up with dementia and basically forgot about the church prior to dying. Which is fair because after 60 years of turbo devotion, service, and monetary donations, the church forgot about him too.

At that time, my mom had seen through the churches bluff and felt is was not "true" . She thought love was truer and complained that she felt no love in the church. She liked it when I told her stuff that showed how false it really was....stuff she never knew.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: May 15, 2020 05:04PM

<<<<< after 60 years of turbo devotion, service, and monetary donations, the church forgot about him too.>>>>>

That's what happened with my mother (only 50 years). When she became an invalid she was forgotten, tossed away like nothing. Of course I'm apostate, but never got a single sympathy note from any of her Mormon brothers and sisters.

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: May 13, 2020 08:12PM

Hmmm, I was a BM child: Born Mormon. Not to be confused with Bowel Movement although there are similarities.

Date: May 14, 2020 10:21AM

Those BMs are not some merciful movements.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: May 13, 2020 11:42PM

Well a simple switch could be "born in the cult"

Date: May 14, 2020 10:24AM

I LOVE it. And so obvious! Thanks!

I'm BIC - born in the cult of Smith and Young - The Mormons.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 14, 2020 10:59AM

I was born to an unwed mother..so I'm a bastard...and adopted by a BIC dad and Presbyterian mom...who later converted...so it may take a while to come up with one for me!

Date: May 14, 2020 11:33AM

BISALA

Born in sin and later assimilated.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 14, 2020 07:53PM

Never did really get assimilated...didn't drink the Koolaid.

Date: May 15, 2020 10:18AM

Kolobaid.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 14, 2020 11:41AM

I have no clue why they had each of us. I don't know that any of us were planned. I tend to wonder about my youngest brother as my parents were very much distracted by my second to youngest brother who had a stroke when he was born and the doctor never told them. When he wasn't walking at a few months after 1 year and never crawled (he dragged himself around with his right arm), they started looking for answers. He did walk, but the doctor told them it was only because he wanted to be like his big brother and sisters. Definitely a determined kid. He drank paint thinner at 18 months. And yet my little brother came along 18 months after that and he is my saving grace.

My parents didn't buy into all the reproducing for the church's sake and we sure didn't follow the path. I did. They were sure disappointed when I gave it up. But they understood.

Everybody was having 5 and 6 kids then. My BIL is oldest of 13. My mom's best friend had 11. I mean, 6 was nothing.

Me,I am the enabler or the identified patient since I get help. If my sisters want to put a name to me, that would be it. My brothers like me, always have.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2020 11:42AM by cl2.

Date: May 14, 2020 07:28PM

My parents love that production because it paints people who think human populations are growing out of control as minions of Satan. Their all time favorite movie is "Cheaper by The Dozen."

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 14, 2020 12:46PM

At the age of twelve, I told my Mormon father about my agnosticism. This ended my value to him as a son. It was over, and I would be institutionalized and disowned by the man.

Mormons call that covenanting.

Date: May 14, 2020 07:29PM

donbagley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mormons call that covenanting.

Nice way to put it. It is a club where if you aren't a participant you are an ingrate and miscreant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2020 07:29PM by Elder Berry.

Date: May 15, 2020 10:19AM

I love to see their temple. I'm going there someday to feel better than others and promise not to be gay.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: May 15, 2020 11:20AM

My priesthood leaders told me I was an MF - they meant Mormon Forever. But then Rusty said that was a naughty word.

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: May 15, 2020 11:50AM

Born Mormon. Nearly DIED Trying To Get Out. At least you didn't DIC, or die in convenient.

Flick your Bic!

How about BFT (Born Free Thinker)?

Or...

Born A Slave To A Religious Danger (bastard)!

Born Me And Staying That Way - no acronym...

I like EM!
Escaped Mormonism

Or...

I'm the White Sheep of the Flocking family.

Happy Days everybody :)

Date: May 15, 2020 01:59PM

DIC - the sin that isn't murder.

This is chilling. Blood atone your loved ones before they embarrass you by leaving.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: May 15, 2020 04:50PM

My story has nothing to do with being born Mormon but I was born specifically so my sis would have a playmate. Sis turned out to be a big disappointment and many a headache for the parents.

I was vindicated when my dad's (almost but not quite) last words near his death to me were, "To think I didn't want to have you!"

Dad didn't want another child just to keep the first one company but Mom insisted. I ultimately became Daddy's little girl even though it was Mom's idea.

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: May 15, 2020 05:25PM

In the reload earlier, the definition in the title was left out.

I hope no one is disappointed.

Here it is: BIC (Baptized/ Born In Cult);

BIC - Because I Chose!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.