Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: MormonMartinLuther ( )
Date: May 14, 2020 12:06AM

As with gay marriage, first it was decriminalized then made a legal union. Will polygamy follow the same way?

Utah House Bill SB102 was signed by Utah governor into existence.
Since nothing gets done of this nature in Utah without LDS involvement, will this be a new tool for the prophet to look prophety by making yet another administrative change?

I mean what good reason would there be to pass a polygamy bill (a 100 year old disavowed issue) while a full blown national disaster is happening? Perhaps a few of the apostles picked up extra wives on their Rome vacation or else why now?

Think of the sponsorship involved in making such a bill in a state so dead set on vehemently denying its past and subsequent consequences.

It really does beg the question: when will the church go completely bonkers in an effort to maintain complete control over the lives of its dwindling congregation? How much power is enough for these charlatans?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: May 14, 2020 08:52AM

One of my close tbm family members told me a few days ago, the bretheren don't really know the future, they don't know what's going on. It's probably the same for the legislative issues. We have like half the apostles as lawyers yet they don't really seem to stand by any legal ideas. They seem to quiver back and forth on a whole host of issues, perhaps it's the lawyer training in them, they have so many legal theories and historical rulings digested from law school, that they see problems as which ever side is most powerful they must be the ones that should be defended. Oaks is especially in this category. He changes his mind quite often.

I've thought for years that the bretheren would do well to re-enrolling in a basic ethics course that freshman are all suppose to take. This may solve their duplicity well?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 14, 2020 09:58AM

macaRomney Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I've thought for years that the bretheren would do
> well to re-enrolling in a basic ethics course that
> freshman are all suppose to take. This may solve
> their duplicity well?

This is an Excellent idea since the core values of Christ-like living have so obviously eluded them! The lessons of the New Testament of the Bible is 100% gibberish to the GAs & down the hierarchy / chain of command. Mormonism is more like North Korea than it is of Christianity!

Not on their menu or agenda, what would the curriculum be, what origin would the concepts & values emanate from? If not self-generated with expediency as the center, they're completely lost.

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: May 14, 2020 11:37AM

The message of the new testament is probably not what christians think either.

Try out Spong's book, Biblical Literalism: A Gentile Heresy. The Gospels are likely liturgical allegory, not history.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: May 14, 2020 11:27AM

Restore pologamy? I doubt it because I believe Rusty cares more about mainstreaming & sitting at the big boys Christian table (He met the Pope!) than he cares about old Doctrine.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: May 14, 2020 11:32AM

Yeah. He won't. But I could totally see Dallin Oaks viewing that as his legacy issue.

Date: May 14, 2020 11:46AM

then they'd have to think ahead * likely? * to what the USSC might do with this:

- they don't have to accept all cases that are appealed to them

- they more/less have to say a prior ruling was 'wrong' to over-rule a prior decision I'm referring to Edmonds-Tucker wherein they ruled that laws against polyg were constitutional / legal constraints on conduct rather than infringements on 'freedom of religion';

with the Trump-packed court, what they might do (accept, rule?) on that is anyone's guess, the true definition of a crap-shoot!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 14, 2020 11:47AM

Some might, but not one of the mormon women I know would.

I was teasing my BIL once and I asked him about polygamy and he said, "Your sister has said ABSOLUTELY NEVER." I said, "Even for me as I don't have a husband anymore." He said, "NOPE." I was joking with him. I thought it was hilarious.

My mother would never go along with it and neither would my dad. My mother's grandparents were polygamists and when we were talking about them once, I asked my dad if any in his family were polygamists and he said, "No, they weren't that stupid."

This is one issue that the women would definitely balk at BIG TIME. Rusty would lose more than he'd gain.

Date: May 14, 2020 12:32PM

however, the women that feel their hub isn't 'righteous enough' might choose to dump him (as I was) & hope for a 'righteous PH holder' to 'call them from their grave'...

we often read about the ratio of unmarried TBM women especially in the IMW, how unmarried women will swarm an eligible PH church-broke kinda guy ($$$ tops this off if they're wealthy!!)

crazy as it seems, many are infected by their craziness

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2020 12:42PM by GNPE.

Date: May 14, 2020 04:27PM

I read an article in Dialogue some years ago about polygamy in SLC and how the women were leaving their husbands for a church leader as it guaranteed the CK. I can't understand this way of thinking.

Oh and, by the way, I would have stayed with my husband to the end. Well, I guess I have been, but he lives his life with his boyfriends and I have my own boyfriend. We don't share!!!!! ha ha ha But I had been single until 27 in the lds church and I knew what is out there. These women are NUTS. My boyfriend is definite NEVER MO. I knew him when I was 20. Didn't choose to marry him then.

I had told my husband he could do anything he wanted as long as he came home and helped raise the kids and pay the bills. He chose to not take that great bargain and regrets it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2020 04:29PM by cl2.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 15, 2020 04:30PM

It is my understanding that as things stand now in Utah, a man could marry one wife by the law and then take additional 'wives' in the temple. These additional wives would have no standing in the law.

They could all live together in celestial harmony and it would be too boring to televise.

One way to possibly make it worth watching would be to have him sealed to six women and then take 13 or 26 episodes to decide which one to make his temporal wife, the one who gets his Social Security. I'd watch that!!

Date: May 15, 2020 09:05PM

Not as many wives, but when he took a new wife, for some reason it seems he divorced his first wife and married the last one. I can't remember why as it has been a long time since I watched that show.

A bunch of women fighting over a man's attention. Who ever thought that idea up? Were they nuts? Of course.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.