Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: iceman9090 ( )
Date: May 14, 2020 09:47AM

About me:
I have never been a mormon. I am an atheist.
My knowledge of mormonism is limited but I have seen a few documentaries about it.
Religion fascinates me.

Now, let’s boogey!
Read this and tell me what I am talking about:

So, there is a man created and a bunch of plants. No animals at all.
Then the jewish god thinks, it is not good that man be alone. This is an indication of how as time flows, the thinking of the jewish god progresses. So, the next step that the jewish god takes is to create various animals and he brings them to Adam, supposedly, the animals were all lined up. I wonder how long that line was. Adam is giving them names for some reason. What a boring task.
Boom! That is the first time that it names the guy.
Apparently, non of those animals were a help meet.
That was the goal. This is how the algorithm works.
Step 1. x=0
Step 2. Bring animal x to Adam.
Step 3. Adam gives the animal a name.
Step 4. Adam or the jewish god or both decide if animal x is a help meet.
Step 5. If animal x not equal “help meet”, x++ and go to Step 1. If animal x is help meet, exit algorithm.

~~~~iceman9090

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 14, 2020 10:10AM

I give up.
When do we get to the rib?

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: May 14, 2020 10:20AM

And why did god need a rib to create Adam’s help meet? Isn’t he all powerful? Did he need a collection of ribs to create all of the animals?

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: May 14, 2020 10:30AM

Good point. God could create a lion or an elephant or whale but got stuck when it came to a woman?

The rib thing is definitely the big red flag.

The only way taking part of Adam to create a help meet works is if Adam was a protozoa and there were petri dishes in the Garden of Eden already. Chew on that for a while Creative Designers! I've thrown you a bone there.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: May 14, 2020 10:45AM

“I've thrown you a bone there.” :)

Date: May 14, 2020 10:57AM

Or did you throw me a rib? hahah ha.

Date: May 14, 2020 10:32AM

Stop thinking so much!

God is mysterious (Step 6, repeat three times).

Date: May 14, 2020 10:56AM

+CrispingPin:

Well, if to create a human female, you need a rib of a human male, then logically, and humans are just animals, then it stands to reason, you need a lot of ribs.

So, whenever a female baby is born, I guess it uses up a rib.

~~~~iceman9090

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: May 14, 2020 11:22AM

The rib could have been a DNA segment. That looks like a rib. Maybe we’re genetically engineered monkeys. Viruses are evolutionary drivers of genetic mutation. Maybe God is a virus.

Date: May 14, 2020 12:42PM

+bradley:

http://phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/2013/05/10/the-lurker-how-a-virus-hid-in-our-genome-for-six-million-years/

“It turns out that the human genome contains segments of DNA that match pol, env, and gag. Lots of them. Scientists have identified 100,000 pieces of retrovirus DNA in our genes, making up eight percent of the human genome. That’s a huge portion of our DNA when you consider that protein coding genes make up just over one percent of the genome. Scientists have studied these so-called endogenous retroviruses both in humans and in other species, and the evidence all points to the same scenario for how they genetically merged with us. Our ancestors were infected with retroviruses on a regular basis. On rare occasion, a virus infected a sperm or egg and managed to end up in an embryo. Every new cell in the embryo inherited the retrovirus DNA implanted in its genome. And then the embryo grew up into an adult, which then had offspring of its own, and passed the virus DNA on as well. At first, the virus still retained some of its old powers. Its DNA could sometimes still give rise to new viruses. Mutations arose in the viral genes, and they might prevent it from making shells. Yet the dying virus could still make a new copy of its genes and insert them back into its host genome. That would explain why it’s possible to classify our many endogenous retroviruses into different families. The families are made up of new copies of an ancestral virus. Eventually, however, the endogenous retroviruses got so hobbled by mutations that they became nothing more than baggage. (In some cases, we’ve domesticated their genes, co-opting them for our own functions, such as building a placenta.) Given that many matching endogenous retroviruses can be found in other primates, this process has been going on for millions of years–even tens of millions."

~~~~iceman9090

Date: May 14, 2020 10:45AM

Okay. After a lifetime of laughing hysterically at Jewish comedians, and finding out recently that they never even lost their sense of humor in the camps, I can only view the Bible now thinking that the word prophet originally meant "Owner of the Laugh Factory."

The story of Adam and Eve was nothing but the first comedy routine. It was only funny because it was absolutely ridiculous and they were all in on the joke. The story of Adam and Eve is right up there with Who's On First. Picture your favorite Jewish comedian like Joan Rivers or Don Rickles telling the story. Actually I would love to hear Lisa Lampanelli read Genesis.

The biggest joke of all is now a whole world believing that over-the-top material to be from some God.

All I see is a whole bunch of primitive people rolling on the ground as "Mort" tells the story of a snake and a naked lady pulling one over on a doofus named Adam.

Date: May 14, 2020 11:04AM

As far as origin stories go, I give it a 3 out of 10.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_creation_myths

D&D said, "The biggest joke of all is now a whole world believing that over-the-top material to be from some God."

That's my thought exactly. I guess it just shows the more preposterous, the more it thrives. Then there's the over the top rituals that go with it that people keep justifying. Go figure.

Date: May 14, 2020 11:12AM

Thanks for the link. Reading all those creation stories will be fascinating.

And, highlighting the "preposterous" as the key to religion? Ka-ching!

That is what Rusty doesn't get as he tames Mormonism. "You gotta have a gimmick." Stop exchanging all the crazy for the merely mean.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: May 14, 2020 11:24AM

I think the rib story was to show that man came first, from the dust of the earth, and the only way you can have a woman is if you have a man first. You need a piece of that man to create the woman, therefore the woman is part of the man, beholding to the man for her existence, therefore subservient to him.

It was setting the stage for men to control everything right from the start.

Date: May 14, 2020 01:06PM

+donbagley:
I agree. Also when the jewish god makes a deal with humans, he chooses a man to sign the contract. The deal also involves males at a deeper lever, right between the legs. The cutting thing.

However, I am glad that they don't cut women.

~~~~iceman9090

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 14, 2020 12:45PM

No sheep jokes yet?

To be honest, I'm a little disappointed.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 14, 2020 12:54PM

These Al Gore Rhythms are too complex for me to dance to. It's like an electoral collage.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: May 14, 2020 03:14PM

Because I continually refer to the contraversial translation of the cuneiform tablets by Stichen which clearly describes the struggles that tht Annunaki had in creating homo-sapien.
I have read and studied The book of Enki--The old testament--and the new testament. I have also studied several more relted tomes.
Therefore I have come to the conclusion that we need to look at this whole thing from some new perspective.
I don't treat this facetiously. I think and "ponder" over what I consider to be evidence and I exhort otheres to do likewise.

Posted by: God ( )
Date: May 14, 2020 04:59PM

Ribs are essential! Hot links, too.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: May 15, 2020 01:11AM

Lilith was a woman that was created for Adam. They didn't get along and Lilith was evicted from the garden.

Second god formed another woman. Some say she had no name. A few others call her Zenobia. In any event Adam rejected her and she was taken into heaven.

For his third try god took a piece of Adam and made Eve on the theory Adam couldn't reject her without rejecting himself.

Brigham trumped the old stories when he stated Adam came to this world with his wives. Some say seven in total.

Date: May 15, 2020 04:07PM

I looked up the list of Creation Myths that Dagny linked and the very first one from Korea. So easy to find the similarities but the one that got me was that the King of the heavens in this one, Cheongjiwang, had two sons he had with a mortal woman, and he made them have a competition to see which would rule the Mortal World and which would rule the Nether World,

The more I read the more I can see why everyone's religious creation story looks stupid except for your own.

So many that I've read are all ridiculous but all share some very common details. Hmmmmnnn.

Date: May 16, 2020 01:12PM

Thanks. The more world mythology I studied, the more I saw how it worked and why.

Ours is not special. Yours is not special. Why can't we dump the nonsense? Why do we continue to cloak it all in "sacredness" with sometimes ridiculous rituals?
Is it lack of education? Is it a simple human need to make up stories and save energy having to worry about questions with no answers? Is it more about a Hero's Journey like Joseph Campbell discussed?

I don't know how people can look behind the curtain of one and not see how the religion shows are performed. It's world mythology at work.

Date: May 16, 2020 02:57PM

I read a few more. I really liked the Pangu and will consider that a front runner in the event I should like to believe again haha. Such a much more entertaining story with better characters and plots. The Christian creation is a snore in comparison. I like a a good dose of creativity in my Creations!

I do notice once somehow something gets made out of nothing or worlds pop out of the void, that once a God or a couple emerge from some arcane billowing and makes a sun and moon and water and earth, its not long before they beget some offspring and then the power struggle begins and then all hell breaks loose with treachery and lechery and then someone has to rule hell as someone buttons up heaven.

Yin and Yang. This has been fun.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.