Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: May 14, 2020 06:37PM

Did everybody here grow up with the Especially for Mormons series? For those who don't know, it was a set of five? six? softbound tomes filled with sentimentality- feel-good stories, fables, poems and inspirational quotes. I never understood why it was especially for Mormons and not Lutherans or Quakers.

I also didn't like the way it was held up as the only suitable response of Mormons to life. That was one more reason (of many) I felt left out. While my friends were reading Catcher in the Rye I was stuck reading about how some girl found self esteem by praying on a warm summer's evening overlooking a field of wheat. With children laughing nearby. Or something. Oh- and the horrors of Vietnam were unfolding all around us too- except in Mormonville.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2020 07:15PM by slskipper.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 14, 2020 07:32PM

OMG. That brings back memories. I think I bought one for my MIL.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: May 14, 2020 07:40PM

I read them. I began to seriously doubt the stories. Was about the time Dunn was outed as a spinner of untrue tales.

I remember a story about a guy that served a mission in Germany prior to WW II.

Supposedly while back in Germany during the war, the Americans captured a German spy. The spy was to be shot. The guy recognised the spy as a convert he had baptised prior to the war.

When ordered to participate in the firing squad the guy refused.

He was then shot the next morning standing next to his convert.

As a 12 year old I believed it. As a veteran I know it's bunk.

Posted by: iceman9090 ( )
Date: May 15, 2020 08:35AM

+Heartless:
Does it claim to be a true story?

~~~~iceman9090

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: May 15, 2020 04:25PM

It claimed to be true. But as an old retired military person I know they wouldn't just shove an American GI in front of a firing squad without a trial etc.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: May 14, 2020 08:32PM

I remember those gag-worthy books.

The only good thing about them was the fact that they had “Mormons” in the title. That was a victory for Satan.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: May 15, 2020 04:14PM

Yes, gag worthy. If you had to give a youth talk you just grabbed one, flipped to some gaggy page and read some boring tripe. HOW did we sit through mormon meetings for decades? I mean there is no secret to how mormons turn into brainless zombies when we were raised on that stuff.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: May 15, 2020 08:55AM

I never read 'especially for mormons' but did have around the house 'chicken soup for the mormon soul' That's another book filled with all kinds of touching accounts of sentimental gushings. It'll put a smile on your face :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.