Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: May 14, 2020 08:21PM

We know Mormonism idolizes and idealizes Marriage And The Family. They'd copyright and patent it if they could. Yet we know Mormon families and marriages have their problems.

This past couple of month of close confinement (with maybe more to come) has been a rare opportunity to spend what seems like an eternity with each other. It should be great, right? I mean, that's the point of trying to attain the celestial kingdom. Families Are ForeverĀ®. Amen. Hallelujah. Love at home. But how is it actually going for them?

Well, I don't have the statistics for areas that are dense with Mormons, but the trend just about everywhere is an increase in domestic violence calls. And in places where restrictions have been loosened, there's a spike in divorce filings.

So what stories do you have? Are you or someone you know ready to ditch a spouse or run from the family? Or, less dramatically, has their image of family bliss been reworked? Or, buoyed up by The GospelĀ®, are they closer and happier than ever? I want to know.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: May 14, 2020 10:53PM

I grew up hearing "Love at Home" all the time at church and from my scary-devout TBM mother. Never seemed to curb the Sunday Night Screaming Matches between her and my sperm donor.

And she still sticks with him to this day. He's a selfish scumbag who would buy a fancy barbeque or new gun while letting his kids go hungry, but apparently divorcing him would be the appearance of evil. I hope there's a Hell, because Kimball and his "any two devout Mormons can make a marriage work" BS belong there.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: May 15, 2020 06:22PM

I know of many separated Mormon marriages where the couples lived in the same house. To avoid the appearance of evil they simply lived on different floors of the home but sat blissfully together at church. One family had the kids begging them to get a divorce so they didn't have to live in the middle of the two camps.

Mormonism. It's all about appearances.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 15, 2020 08:47PM

after he'd been gone for 10 years or so. I moved to CO for a year. Now we share the house. Why get 2 places when we have a big enough house for 3 of us (son included).

Life here has been "interesting" to say the least. Just the 3 of us and keeping my boyfriend at his house and I go over there. Better to keep him over there rather than here as the ex and my son would prefer he doesn't come over right now.

One person on this board knows what is going on at my house. It never ends.

My daughter's husband will be here tomorrow (driving from Alaska and she couldn't as she let her passport expire) and she will fly in on Sunday, but they have a place to move into on Monday. Better that way. The twins, who used to be best friends and even still read each others' minds) don't get along so great.

P.S. We were pretty much minus love at home growing up. We all argued endlessly. My parents argued on Sunday because my dad only went to PH and then would go irrigate at the farm and watch football for a few hours and go back to irritating. Every Sunday was a war at our house.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2020 08:48PM by cl2.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.