Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: q ( )
Date: May 15, 2020 09:24PM

I have been noticing a more aggressive attitude from LDS lately. They are on the defense about that 100 billion dollar hoarding thing their leaders have been up to. I am wondering if others here have experienced hostile behavior from hardcore mormons.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: OneWayJay ( )
Date: May 15, 2020 11:15PM

Keep calling them Mormons and make sure you sprinkle it in liberally when around them. Some really do get pissed about it now. Funny to watch - especially if you have an old copy of "Meet the Mormons" to pull out when they keep correcting you.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: May 16, 2020 10:31AM

They're all ex-Mormons now! ;)

They have to wrap their mind warp around yet more weirdness. For example, how can they counter, "well, you used to be 'Mormons'?" They want to insist, "that's never been our name." But TSCC in even recent years was running widespread Mormon campaigns, designed to make the masses think that Mormons are just regular people (i.e. not weird), that all ended with the tagline, "and, hey, I'm a Mormon." They themselves were telling us that they were Mormon. And now they want to insist that it's never been the name. It's irrational. But irrationality is nothing new... hey, they're Mormons. ;)

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 16, 2020 12:49PM

Gordon B. Stinky Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But TSCC in
> even recent years was running widespread Mormon
> campaigns, designed to make the masses think that
> Mormons are just regular people (i.e. not weird),

So they campaigned to persuade gentiles that their members were not weird. Now, with mainstreaming, they want to persuade gentiles that their religion is not weird.

> And now they want to insist that it's
> never been the name.

This is gaslighting: Persuading people that the facts (i.e. beliefs, nomenclature, history, etc.) they once embraced are not true. Understandable with gentiles who never knew the details of LDS belief, practice, and history, but inexcusable with TBMs who (should) know better. It's docile obedience to ecclesiastical authority, with powerful elements of cultural conformity.

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: May 16, 2020 02:06PM

What's also funny is showing someone their "I'm a Mormon" thing they posted on social media when they were all told to do that. Even if they think they deleted it, once it's on the internet, it's there forever.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2020 02:07PM by doyle18.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 16, 2020 11:39AM

Most people will get hostile if you bait them long enough. True, there is a surfeit of material to bait them with these days, but we may be contributing to their defensiveness. They have plenty to be defensive about.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 16, 2020 12:04PM

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 16, 2020 01:20PM

I think there are some who are so embarrassed as more and more LDS nonsense hits the news that they are uncomfortable having to defend it. So, hostility keeps the inquiries away.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: May 16, 2020 01:49PM

I wonder if there’s hostility amongst the top dogs, passive aggressiveness or even petty jealousy.

If we’re to believe TSCC’s current mantra, Crusty Rusty has been waging this “we’re not Mormons” war for decades, yet his predecessor(s) ran “we’re Mormon” campaigns, built websites with “Mormon” in the name, etc.

Who’s been fighting...or spiting...who?

Dusty is finally having it his way, and the stridency of it is a repudiation of his predecessors.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 16, 2020 02:27PM

I am wondering if the Lutherans ever went through a "Don't call us Lutherans! We follow Christ, not the quasi-prophet Martin Luther!" phase?

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: May 16, 2020 04:31PM

q Wrote:
> I have been noticing a more aggressive attitude
> from LDS lately. They are on the defense about
> that 100 billion dollar hoarding thing their
> leaders have been up to. I am wondering if others
> here have experienced hostile behavior from
> hardcore mormons.
Only when I am alone or with somebody!

Posted by: MormonMartinLuther ( )
Date: May 17, 2020 10:27PM

Why wouldn't you be hostile if you were still mormon?
I mean just even the word 'mormon' could trigger you.

Imagine defending all this bull crap for so many years while all the benefits of your special social club and after life insurance policy are being slowly retracted behind the scenes.

Now you are being asked to put your pants on your head as the command from on high is that the church be bass ackwards again.

Deny, deny, deny that you are mormons.

And disavow any youtube posts especially the mormon ones put out by the church, especially those!

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 17, 2020 11:13PM

I wonder if Alberta would approve a licence plate that read XMORMN? And wouldn't that get you some stink eye in the S. Alberta Moridor? LOL

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 18, 2020 01:12PM

the energy they used to dissipate by going to meetings (while wymen made doughnuts) has to go somewhere....

Don't forget the 'and I'm a Mormon' campaign that we saw all the time, transit advertising, etc.

(edit to add) When I converse with Mormons (are they now ex-mormons?) about the core values of Christianity, they quickly want to change the subject to validate what's happening in Morland; as if more temples, name changes, (etc., ad finite) make living mormonism 'better', or 'more true'.

Sheesh! get OVER all these wild swings in focus / practice of day-to-day subjects/matters!!!!

just sayin'

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2020 01:37PM by GNPE.

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: May 18, 2020 10:53PM

q Wrote:
> .. aggressive attitude from LDS lately. They are on the defense about... their "leaders" ...

... have [others] experienced hostile behavior from hardcore mormons?

Mormons? What's that?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.