Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: May 16, 2020 01:54PM

Is the "Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints" providing for members left destitute over the virus?
My feeling is $00000000000 and more $000000000000

As always thank you for your responses. It shows that some of us are actually thinking. Even me sometimes

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2020 04:26PM by thedesertrat1.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: May 16, 2020 01:54PM

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: May 16, 2020 02:19PM

Maybe they share your (uninformed) opinion that it is a "MASSIVE SCAM". If so, donating zero would be understandable.

Date: May 16, 2020 04:23PM

Yeah my opinion is uninformed but it is mine thank you

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: May 16, 2020 02:27PM

Why do you care how TSCC spends its money? But thank you for not goose stepping.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 16, 2020 02:38PM

A lot of people on this board gave thousands (or tens of thousands, or hundreds of thousands) of dollars to the church because they were indoctrinated to do that. Some board members literally had food stolen out of their mouths as children. Some people will never be able to retire.

Yeah, they care. Thank you for asking.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2020 02:38PM by summer.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: May 21, 2020 03:13AM

Their stock portfolio lost 21% last quarter.

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2020/05/20/lds-church-sells-exxon/

They lost $8 billion. They can't afford to give anything away.

/sarcasm

Date: May 16, 2020 04:24PM

Because I am nosy

Date: May 16, 2020 04:25PM

"Goose-stepping"?

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: May 16, 2020 02:43PM

I understand they are handing out food.

As far as cash I don't know.

Date: May 16, 2020 04:24PM

I'm glad they're handing out food.

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: May 18, 2020 10:50PM

LDSinc PRAYS for MONEY coming to them, not going away.

It doesn't care about the members!

It wants (behoves) them to PRAY FOR (wealth, success, etc.) MONEY [so they can give it to TSCC].

Posted by: westernwillows ( )
Date: May 19, 2020 05:33PM

I have two RV spaces on my property, and one is currently leased to a Mormon family of 6 (four kids, two adults, living full time in a 24' ancient bumper pull camper).

Their local ward sends me a rent check for them every month ($500), with two signatures on it. I'm guessing one is the Bishop and one is the clerk? Both adults are employed, one by the city, the other by the University. They've been here three months now and the church pays on time, which is nice for me =) I've never met someone who actually receives ongoing assistance from the church. But, as long as I get paid, I don't care where the money comes from. I just find it interesting since the church is so reluctant to help anyone.

I'm NOT in the Morridor. I'm in a not-very-Mormon area south of Tucson, AZ. Perhaps that is the difference.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 19, 2020 11:38PM

It is fast offerings money. No church coffers money.

Posted by: westernwillows ( )
Date: May 20, 2020 01:15PM

I'll admit my only knowledge of assistance from the church has come from this board, and most of that involves someone who was in a financial pinch and denied assistance. I find it very interesting that the ward is paying the rent for two employed adults who make around $80,000/year (their salaries are public record, and I checked before they moved in). I know assistance varies based on the generosity of the Bishop, but plenty of people found their way out of the church after being denied assistance. Perhaps Bishops are being advised to be more generous with fast offering funds to keep people in the pews?

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 20, 2020 01:42PM

My guess? Bishops are little wee kings in the Mormon kingdom and will help anyone in need or not with the ward collection plate as they see fit. Joe Smith the founder set up a small stipend for bishops back in the day.

It is all local and "no pay lay" rules at the capris of small time leaders as long as they follow their manual's general guidelines. Don't get me started on the bigger kings in the Mormon kingdom running individual missions. My kids have different rules at the capris of these little admins with stipends.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: May 19, 2020 11:54PM

To the church, the members are important only because they are like crops. They yield cash positive over time and grow new church members who will do the same in the future. The church might give some charity if their 'crops' are threatened. But real charity as most of us know it coming from the mormon church is out of the question.

Generally speaking, cash and other resources are supposed to flow in to and not out of the church headquarters in Salt Lake. Their response to the outrage over the secret $100B Ensign Peak fund was to say they're saving up for the second coming of Christ.... cause we all know how Jesus wants his money and how pissed he will be if the Mormon church can't give him enough of it when he returns.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2020 11:58PM by azsteve.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: May 20, 2020 08:47AM

It's likely easy for cojcolds to duck out this time because members aren't going to church and not begging at the bishops door for money. But I've heard it's all being done on the phone and bishops are getting that tinge of panic every time the phone rings, (they can't just turn the phone off). But interestingly I've heard from my connections to some who are in the loop high in the Mormon hierarchy, that the church is transferring responsibility for feeding the widows and orphans from the bishop to the elders quorum prez and relief society prez. Up until now the bishops have had way too much responsibility over the poor that took way to much time away from their own families and so aside from leading the youth (YM particularly) the new responsibilities won't entail having a train of poor women out side of the office every week waiting for Deseret charity.

At any rate it's a good shift of responsibility I think Relief society president maybe better able to help other ladies in time of need and smell out the deserving poor vs undeserving.

Posted by: evergreennotlogged in ( )
Date: May 21, 2020 12:29PM

As long as they are provided the resources (money) to help people. It would be typical of the church to hand over responsibility with no funding.

Posted by: Evergreennotloggedin ( )
Date: May 21, 2020 02:40AM

I think COJCOLDS is teaching self-reliance classes. Give all your money to the church, but be self-reliant when you need help.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.