Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: 6 iron ( )
Date: May 16, 2020 08:49PM

Sigh....

My TBM ex wife might be the actual first born, blemished, daughter of Satan. But this question is not about tbm ex wife's or TBM ex husbands

It's dealing with tbm family, wether they be parents or children or siblings or nieces or nephews or aunts or uncles...

They seem to miss the empathy gene. They have several superiority genes however...

Because they're Mormon, they know what's right... Lol

I'm losing my patience/respect/ability to compromise.....

They just seem to be lacking in sooo many human positives..

I'm afraid I might go on the offensive and start an ideological battle which probably will sever things

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: JJ Galt ( )
Date: May 16, 2020 10:41PM

What I have noticed in Mormons I have known. And keep in mind it is a snapshot. And I have only known a handful fairly well.. But I have noticed a lack of compassion and a coldness of heart. Lack of emotion or outward signs of affection for others. Now I may be very very wrong, just my observation. Not very friendly or welcoming. Of course they all knew I am gentile.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: May 16, 2020 11:32PM

Even when I was a TBM I didn't feel much attachment to my family. We were just not close. I used to think it was just me, but over the years my siblings expressed similar feelings, or lack thereof. They're sort of like second or third tier friends, or like former coworkers that were okay, didn't make your job any harder, and you might chat with at a company social event, but they weren't your friends away from work.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: May 16, 2020 11:40PM

Oh, and no grieving when my parents died. Just relief their suffering was over. And relief I didn't have to pretend anymore that I wasn't a total atheist.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 17, 2020 12:20AM

Loyalty to the Morg is deeply ingrained in TBMs, starting at a very early age... except for aware primary teachers, few realize how subtle yet pervasive the propaganda is.

My feelings for my family are half love, half sorrows - pity they've been sucked - suckered in by ChurchCo; if I had the info I do now, I sure wouldn't have gone down that path.

There really isn't any reasonable alternative explanation for what ChurchCo does, especially did to my family.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2020 12:26AM by GNPE.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: May 17, 2020 12:25AM

Yes, I love them.

Only one shunned the whole bunch of us due to that problem of us "disrespecting his prophet, Joseph Smith."

He never had to bail us outta jail or enroll us in the Betty Ford Clinic, or ... or ...

Only that we dirty rats disrespected his prophet, Joseph Smith.

But ... I’d quickly forget all the bad years ...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2020 08:52AM by kathleen.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: May 17, 2020 01:01AM

No.

If I meet my parents after I die, I doubt that I will have more than three words to say to them.

My younger brother wanted to bar me from speaking at my father's funeral lest I say non-spiritual things.

My sister's husband once sent me a scathing letter calling me to repentance.

So no, I don't have a lot of affection for them.

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: May 17, 2020 01:04AM

A few of them.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 17, 2020 02:00AM

Nope

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 17, 2020 02:18AM

Go Ahead & flame me, I'm ready:

I believe that many if not most of the teachings / principles/concepts of the N.T. are good for relationships, whether or not they're 'divine' is a separate matter / question, at least to me.

If we love only those who love us (our perspective), what value, what example is that for others? It's conditional, just what the Morons have mastered at, A++++++++

I say I (us?) can do better for that with a better outcome for ourselves, perhaps for others.

my .02

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: May 17, 2020 05:32AM

I still love my sisters and nieces. I still keep in touch with my mother, despite being devout to the point of questionable sanity.

I have nothing to do with my sperm donor, but that has more to do with him being a stupid, narcissistic scumbag who loved to mentally and emotionally torment his kids.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 18, 2020 04:28PM

I loved my TBM parents..but I've grown so far away from the rest of dad's family that they are irrelevant. My mom's family are all nevermos.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2020 04:29PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 18, 2020 04:59PM

My mother was quite active, but my dad was so so active. My sister is still active, but she doesn't believe the majority of it. My disabled brother still goes and believes whatever it is he believes. He gets it confused. He is mentally and physically disabled. It gives him something to do.

My parents were supportive when I left.

My daughter has been the most difficult, but I will always love her no matter what. She is a part of me. My therapist told me that she has a pattern and she tries to get a rise out of me, so to quit reacting. I did and it worked. When she does her TBM stuff, I just ignore her. That way, I have found out some interesting things about what she really does believe. Crazy daughter of mine.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 18, 2020 06:42PM

I raised my family outside of Utah so I would have a better chance with them. Little did I know that was what I was doing but Utah was so homogenous and died in the wool Mormon that I just had to get out.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: May 18, 2020 06:53PM

6 iron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
For more than 84 years I have been associated in one way or the other with the Mormon church.
I have my disagreements with the doctrine and some of the ways it is administrated. Yet I feel love and compasion for the TBM's that have befriended me and supported me in times of need. I have not encountered some of the radicalism reported by members of this forum. However I find the lies perpetrated by those of high office and responsibility to motivate me to dissacoiate myself, for the most part. from the society.
Love is a tenuous thing. If you feel it treat it with respect.

> Sigh....
>
> My TBM ex wife might be the actual first born,
> blemished, daughter of Satan. But this question is
> not about tbm ex wife's or TBM ex husbands
>
> It's dealing with tbm family, wether they be
> parents or children or siblings or nieces or
> nephews or aunts or uncles...
>
> They seem to miss the empathy gene. They have
> several superiority genes however...
>
> Because they're Mormon, they know what's right...
> Lol
>
> I'm losing my patience/respect/ability to
> compromise.....
>
> They just seem to be lacking in sooo many human
> positives..
>
> I'm afraid I might go on the offensive and start
> an ideological battle which probably will sever
> things

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.