Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: May 20, 2020 12:49PM

From the article....

"The “protective nature” of beards may give men a competitive edge, which could explain why facial hair is linked to “high masculinity, social dominance and behavioural aggressiveness”."

Well, the church can't have the men feeling all masculine, dominant and aggressive and feeling like they are all that, now can they? Gotta keep them clean and smooth like babies.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/beards-facial-hair-men-protection-101615926.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 20, 2020 12:56PM

Elohim and Jesus have em in their temple. The beard is worshipped by Mormons.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: May 20, 2020 01:16PM

Beards are frowned on for modern Mormons because you know what those 1960's Hippies were like.

Posted by: xxMo0 ( )
Date: May 22, 2020 03:59AM

Shinehah Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Beards are frowned on for modern Mormons because
> you know what those 1960's Hippies were like.

Also they became associated with fundamentalist sects by the mid-20th century, when beards had gone out of fashion in mainstream culture. (I think they started to go away with the advent of better razors in the 1920s, maybe.) So men who stuck with beards were doing it to hearken back to the early days of the church when beards were much more prevalent (ironically, Joseph Smith himself never had one.)

So it's doubly ironic the way the fashion has changed to almost the exact opposite (wearing a beard as a sign of conservatism vs. wearing one as a sign of progressivism.)

Posted by: xxMo0 ( )
Date: May 22, 2020 04:01AM

xxMo0 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Shinehah Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Beards are frowned on for modern Mormons
> because
> > you know what those 1960's Hippies were like.
>
>
> Also they became associated with fundamentalist
> sects by the mid-20th century, when beards had
> gone out of fashion in mainstream culture. (I
> think they started to go away with the advent of
> better razors in the 1920s, maybe.) So men who
> stuck with beards were doing it to hearken back to
> the early days of the church when beards were much
> more prevalent (ironically, Joseph Smith himself
> never had one.)
>
> So it's doubly ironic the way the fashion has
> changed to almost the exact opposite (wearing a
> beard as a sign of conservatism vs. wearing one as
> a sign of progressivism.)

Although, yet doubly-doubly ironically, the fundamentalist FLDS does not seem to favor beards on their men.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 20, 2020 01:45PM

Wendy & the other women who Actually run ChurchCo are shy to admit that guys giving oral pleasures with facial hair gives them an extra 'boost' to getting an orgasm...

just sayin'

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: May 20, 2020 03:26PM

I thought it was because you can't be a bald faced liar if you have beard.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: May 20, 2020 05:17PM

I always saw it as part of McKay's drive to modernize the church's image and to disassociate from the bearded polygamist past.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: May 20, 2020 06:06PM

It's like Shinehah said. It is all a reaction- in 2020, no less, to the counterculture movements of the nineteen sixties. The church leaders had all come off the World War II troop train, and lack of facial hair was seen as a token of one's commitment to Truth, Justice and the American Way. In actuality it was a commitment to a proper fit for your gas mask, and short military haircuts socially signaled a strong antipathy to head lice. But humans do so love to imbue every little thing with cosmic meaning, and when all those hippies started having long hair and beards the leaders of the church decided they were issuing a challenge to the American way of life which was God's way of life and so the hippies were tools of Communism and held regular audiences with Satan in person. And many of those leaders are still in charge of the Mormon church. Meanwhile, their successors trust that the old men are still inspired by God and so the rules are still decreed by God and so who are they to challenge God?

Isn't Mormonism fun?

Date: May 20, 2020 06:52PM

Church Leaders were in the military / 'had all come off the troop train'
Please check the Facts of that statement, OK?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2020 06:53PM by GNPE.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 20, 2020 06:21PM

Posted by: Emily Litella ( )
Date: May 20, 2020 09:35PM

What's all this fuss I keep hearing about men not being able to have beads in church? Why don't bishops let the guys have beads? Don't they know if they don't it will cause the boys to be too masculine? It's 2020 and beads aren't just for girls anymore. They can be unisex. Men are wearing top knots, and leggings and no one says a word, but they can't handle men with beads in chu . . .

huh?

Beards? Oh well, that' very different.

Nevermind.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: May 20, 2020 09:45PM

I miss her so much.

Date: May 21, 2020 01:29AM

D&D:

who do U miss?

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: May 21, 2020 02:12AM

Emily Litella. One of the many characters portrayed by Gilda Radner, one of the first cast of Saturday Night Live (the Not Ready for Prime Time Players). Another of her characters was Roseanne Roseannadanna. As Emily, her shtick was misunderstanding words and getting all bent out of shape before someone gently corrected her.

Good times.How I wish I could go back to those days.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: May 21, 2020 10:28AM

And Jane Curtain too. The SNL news was always a highlight then. I can still laugh thinking about Dan's line, "Jane, you ignorant slut!" that ended with her ripping her blouse open.

Now that was real Fake News. Not like the phony fake news of today, haha. (See what I did there?)

Posted by: Politic ( )
Date: May 22, 2020 05:16AM

This is not the case in the UK.
Beards are common especially with the younger men.
I drove past my old ward at turning out time and saw 5or6 out of a group of 15 and thought the chapel had been sold to another group but no, they were Mormons.

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: May 22, 2020 06:03PM

While facial hair is frowned upon, "beards" have always been encouraged. Heck, it's common for many Mormon men to marry their beard.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: May 22, 2020 06:39PM

Because they leave scratches on the single young ladies as they kiss them

Posted by: relievedtolearn ( )
Date: May 24, 2020 10:49AM

You can be a temple-recommend man with a beard; just not hold certain positions with a beard.

Hey, they tell you what kind of underwear you can wear, and when you have to wear it---what you can eat and drink---including, for real WOW-followers, not much meat in good times!!!! because, you know, Joseph Smith was hearing directly from God Himself.

Why would facial hair or lack thereof be any different?

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: May 24, 2020 11:09AM

MORmONS love beards .......when it's HF, MORmON Jesus, biblical figures, their seminal MORmON leaders ....who are no longer around or dead.

MORmONS hate beards. .....MORmONS!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.