Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: May 21, 2020 05:14PM

So far, they've jettisoned (among the things I can remember them doing):

Full-naked washing and anointing in tubs (lavers)
Long johns to the ankles
The preacher leading the congregation in a mock-protestant hymn
Pay lay ale
Most live sessions (replaced mostly with the film)
Five points of fellowship
Oaths of vengeance
Penalty oaths
Washing and anointing under "shields"

So what should be next?

Even though I'm sure they'd love to drop all Masonic associations, it's going to be hard with the veil, the underwear, and the handshakes.

With the pandemic, now would be an optimal time to get rid of the handshakes and the individual veil passage. One possible way would be to keep all the tokens and names. They could say them en masse as a congregation, and then a more conventional curtain-like veil could be parted for them as a group, rather than passing through individually.

What do other people think?

Tyson

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 21, 2020 07:14PM

Unless the stagger the seating, same-o

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 21, 2020 07:50PM

Tyson Dunn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So what should be next?

I don't know how you mainstream baptizing dead people. That is a huge part of Mormonism. My kids went monthly. Interviews for 11 year olds to go do that.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: May 23, 2020 03:38AM

Since it’s impossible to keep anything secret in the temples anymore and society keeps changing what goes on in the temple will change. I think we will see more simplification of the whole temple experience. It seems that the members get excited at all the changes Russell M Nelson makes so it will just encourage him and future leaders to change things more than in the past.

Russell M Nelson likes to say the church is still in the process of being restored which is a clever way of saying we can change anything we want.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: May 27, 2020 11:22AM

"Russell M Nelson likes to say the church is still in the process of being restored which is a clever way of saying we can change anything we want."

The JW's (Watchtower) do the same using the line, "The light of the Bible grows brighter everyday". (A paraphrase, but very close to their actual words. Cults always have an out on their doctrines.

Posted by: guy34 ( )
Date: May 23, 2020 03:57AM

When you say "remember" are you saying that you were actually there when they were doing these things? Which I think would be super cool.

Or was it you researched this and know they did these in the past? (because I have heard of all of these as well).

I think the biggest change will be that of keeping non-members out of Wedding ceremonies.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: May 24, 2020 09:38AM

I not only remember, but personally experienced the following (many, many times):

Pay lay ale
Five points of fellowship
Penalty oaths
Washing and anointing under "shields"

Posted by: Tico ( )
Date: May 24, 2020 09:22AM

When was this naked washing and how come I, as a worthy priesthood holder could not help the sistren in this area? (The good looking ones.)

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 26, 2020 11:46PM

Because you weren't enough of a spiritual "giant".

Goose. Gander.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 24, 2020 02:39PM

Drive-thru temples will solve everything.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: May 24, 2020 03:44PM

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: May 27, 2020 10:34AM

Moroni.

He's getting 86'd it would appear.

Lately, when the renderings of the temples have been released, the majority of them have NO moroni up on the pole.

Even one of the Utah temples will have no "moroni".

Initially, the Bangkok temple had a moroni in the rendering. Now the rendering shows a plain spire.

The Hong Kong temple was built with a moroni, in the remodel, he will be permanently removed and NOT replaced.

This strikes me as interesting, and VERY mainstreaming.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 27, 2020 11:59AM

Next: ChurchCo will appeal for 'special donations' to fund additional Moroni statues, but no accountability...

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: May 29, 2020 03:21PM

The church went Moroni crazy even adding Moroni to the Idaho Falls temple that never originally had one.

If you are attempting to portray the LDS Church as a Christian church getting rid of Moroni is a good move. People think it’s the gold statue that is being worshipped in the temple and not Christ. They think the church is a pagan cult.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 29, 2020 04:26AM

Aromatherapy will be introduced as odors of funeral potatoes are wafted into prayer circles. The new white gowns will feature pointy--hooded tops. Rather than the mundane Christian cross, a robust iron cross will grace the temple outerwear. Underneath, and snugly against the genitals, will be the speedo garments.These will insure some kind of covenuts. I cant wait to see the new slippers!

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 29, 2020 05:09PM

They will be ruby and the new temples will all be green.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.