Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Visitors Welcome ( )
Date: May 23, 2020 11:06AM

I'm dying to know this because I just got banned for something that I didn't even share. I read a newspaper article about religion from a Belgian newspaper. One of the pics was a group of armed toddlers in a jihadi training camp. I copied the pic and posted it on FB in a post that only I myself can see.

Or so I thought. Because suddenly I received a message that I was banned for 30 days for "promoting hatred" and the reason they gave was that very picture. As if I was going to use this photo to advocate FOR religious terrorism. So even the so-called private pics are monitored? WTF?

Anyway, what are YOUR experiences with Facebook censorships?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: May 23, 2020 11:16AM

https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/19/18681845/facebook-moderator-interviews-video-trauma-ptsd-cognizant-tamp

Utley worked the overnight shift at a Facebook content moderation site in Tampa, FL, operated by a professional services vendor named Cognizant. The 800 or so workers there face relentless pressure from their bosses to better enforce the social network’s community standards, which receive near-daily updates that leave its contractor workforce in a perpetual state of uncertainty. The Tampa site has routinely failed to meet the 98 percent “accuracy” target set by Facebook. In fact, with a score that has been hovering around 92, it is Facebook’s worst-performing site in North America.

Date: May 23, 2020 01:42PM

I had no idea such third-world labour conditions would still exist in America. Heck, I am a co-owner of businesses in Vietnam and Thailand where workers are treated much better.

It does give an idea why FB enforces bans so quickly.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: May 23, 2020 11:33AM

I am not sure why I get banned --- they don't show me or I don't see it for some reason.

I have got banned for 12 hrs(?) twice for using 'hate' language, possibly because I really don't like the people. This has occurred the last 2 days. I really want to see what it takes to get banned for longer so I can eliminate the waste of time.

My comments appear to be hate when it involves D women --- possibly running for office. Men seem to have a different standard based on my 'hate speech' --- I thought I was pretty consistent with both sexes maybe mean speech but true.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 23, 2020 11:46AM

what are "D women" ?

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: May 23, 2020 01:09PM

One step bigger than "C" women.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: May 23, 2020 06:46PM

Wrong 1 less than E women. It is a good questions for all the 'critical thinking scientists' on this website!

Date: May 24, 2020 04:43AM

Since he she added "possibly running for office"

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 23, 2020 12:45PM

No, but I understand enforcement is spotty. Some people get banned for silly things, and some people that probably *should* get banned go untouched.

Spiritist, my friends often share political posts, and seem to do okay. I almost never touch on politics on my own feed, but I'll sometimes throw an emote or comment their way.

Posted by: topper ( )
Date: May 25, 2020 12:43PM

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: May 23, 2020 01:04PM

One of my friends ran afoul of their hate speech rules by posting the comment “men are pigs” to a post I made about an awful game involving an “ugly” Chinese woman with a black eye who wants to become a concubine. The object of the game is to make her pretty. She is discovered to be “ugly” by Granny and gets imprisoned and executed.

I think it’s an awful game concept and said so. He posted “Men are pigs” and immediately got slapped on the wrist. When he disputed it, the post was still deemed too hateful.

And yet, no one at Facebook cares when I complain about random men who don’t like my pro choice opinions sending me private messages calling me a “fat c-word”.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2020 01:04PM by knotheadusc.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 23, 2020 01:25PM

Knotty, is there some way to manage your settings so that randos can't privately message you? I've never had that happen. I do sometimes get random friend requests (most of which are scammy bots) after I comment on public sites.

Date: May 23, 2020 01:37PM

They get filtered. I don’t get notified that they have messaged me... or if they are in a group with me, I get a notice that a non friend wants to connect.

When that incident happened, I didn’t see the message until three days later. I reported it and was told there was nothing they could do. The guy invited me to “go die” and called me a “fat, murderous, c***” because I am pro choice. Interesting that people who are supposedly “pro life” only feel that way toward the unborn.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 23, 2020 01:43PM

> Interesting that people who are supposedly “pro
> life” only feel that way toward the unborn.

And then only till the babies are born. When it comes to ensuring they have good home environments, helping their parents, etc., the pro-lifers are AWOL.

But perhaps the anti-abortion crowd is out of money given how much they spent bribing Jane Roe to recant on Roe v Wade, as she revealed in her death bed confession.

"Lying for the Lord," they were.

Date: May 23, 2020 02:20PM

Exactly. They just want to control and punish women.

It’s disgusting.

Date: May 23, 2020 01:23PM

Don Bagley was banned for a spelling error.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 23, 2020 01:26PM

This is true. I got thirty days, and I love facebook. It was a drag.

Date: May 23, 2020 01:45PM

Date: May 23, 2020 03:45PM

Date: May 23, 2020 04:22PM

That company MUST be broken up. It determines the outcome of close elections and will continue to do so, perhaps even more so, if it remains monolithic.

Date: May 23, 2020 05:40PM

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: May 23, 2020 05:56PM

I'm not a FB fan, but I don't see how it influences elections. The US will always have a portion of hopeless morons, but I don't know one single person that takes anything that they read on Facebook as truth.

Date: May 23, 2020 07:31PM

Your opinion of American intelligence, and political campaigns' fecklessness, is vastly too optimistic.

There is a reason Putin engaged so many bots in 2016, so too the Trump campaign's retention of Paul Manafort's Cambridge Associates. The outcome of the last election turned on 30 or so thousand votes. China and Iran have liked what they saw and are now gearing up to intervene in the 2020 elections.

The "new normal" is one in which politicians and governments of all stripes invest heavily in trying to turn the 1-2% of American opinion that decides most national contests.

Posted by: Tico ( )
Date: May 24, 2020 09:19AM

Russian bots are just a womb trembler to tap into American people's latent xenophobia. Do they exist? Yes, but so do wombats and llamas, and most people in the world will never encounter one.

The Russian bot scare was useful deflection. It deflects from the fact that the vast majority of the USA's problems are homegrown, and allows them to blame foreigners instead. It helps justify greater censorship of the internet which is also counter to democratic expression. It also deflects from the fact that the USA has better state hackers and trolls than any other country and use websites like Facebook to spy on their own citizenry and friendly nations.

The USA is in no position to complain about foreign interference when it comes to its own international conduct.

Date: May 24, 2020 04:03PM

Yawn.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: May 23, 2020 07:18PM

Facebook has some strange rules. I don't post there much but apparently everyone can say the f-word as much as they want, and no problem, but if a person says something against lgbt's then that's really bad? The rules don't make sense.

Date: May 23, 2020 07:25PM

"Fuck" is a word that offends some people's sensibilities. No one is going to kill herself over someone else's use of that term. By contrast, "LGBT's" are living, breathing, loving, vulnerable human beings.

Surely even you can see the difference.

Date: May 23, 2020 07:46PM

Well, I was recently banned for seven days for posting a meme that mocked white supremacists, which FB deemed was "promoting hatred". Meanwhile, someone I know was posting memes advocating the death penalty for gays, and when I reported that as hateful language, I was told it was not against FB rules.

But now that I know that their moderators are mentally unstable people in northern Florida (as per the article someone shared) I understand. It suddenly all makes sense, in a way.

Date: May 24, 2020 01:46AM

I once got a warning for sharing a New York Times book review of a book about white supremacists that had the word “Cracker” in the title. Fortunately, when I disputed it, they agreed it was okay.

Date: May 24, 2020 09:12AM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Fuck" is a word that offends some people's
> sensibilities. No one is going to kill herself
> over someone else's use of that term. By
> contrast, "LGBT's" are living, breathing, loving,
> vulnerable human beings.
>
> Surely even you can see the difference.

LGBTs aren't people, people are LGBTs. And that's the problem right there... With intersectionality, all individuality is stripped away and people are turned into collective groups. That is the end aim. Although the first three letters are much more clearly defined than the last.

People who use the "F" word a lot tend not to have much to say, and are padding out their material. Unless they are Australian, Irish or Scots... Who all have a vulgarian streak in them but play it better than Americans do.

Date: May 24, 2020 04:04PM

Have you emailed CZ yet, Jordan?

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 24, 2020 01:45AM

My wife, a woman who I love and treasure, posted this to her own wall and was banned/locked out of her account for 48 hours with no warning.

-All women are devils except me.

I had my post locked up for allegedly stealing and sharing photos from the internet. The moderator of the "private" group received all types of "this member has violated- theft of pics, unauthorized use of images" notifications.

I received no such warnings from fb, but the fallout caused two different moderators to post passive-aggressive rants about why users need to use their own photos.

Um, I was using my own photos. In fact, they had never existed in cyberspace until I had digitalized them on my flatbed scanner. fb can stick it.

Date: May 24, 2020 09:06AM

Facebook is an echo chamber designed to reinforce group think and to isolate those groups. Many people block, unfollow etc what they don't like which isolates them further. But I have had to leave because of Mormon platitudes, fanatical atheists and people's inability to understand to other points of view... I am part of the problem too.

Facebook is somewhere you are either right in someone's face or cut off from them.

Date: May 24, 2020 11:12AM

Tico Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Facebook is an echo chamber designed to reinforce
> group think and to isolate those groups. Many
> people block, unfollow etc what they don't like
> which isolates them further.

Well said. I had hoped to exchange ideas with people who are very different but intelligent discussion seems to be frowned upon there.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 24, 2020 04:25PM

I had a post kicked out last week for violating "community standards"....and it dealt with persons with disabilities getting shamed and bullied. I have been an advocate for that community for over 40 years and was surprised it got flagged...considering some of the other stuff that gets posted.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.