Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: May 23, 2020 02:21PM

It won't matter to many here but a leading and world renowned Christian apologist died this past week. Ravi Zacharias, arguably the most able and eloquent modern voice of Christianity died of cancer this week.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 23, 2020 02:30PM

And the right wing main stream media goes ape !

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 23, 2020 06:07PM

Date: May 23, 2020 06:59PM

Are you woke ?

Posted by: Grammar Cop ( )
Date: May 23, 2020 07:24PM

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 23, 2020 09:26PM

Fox News is the leading cable channel. You guys define the "mainstream."

It's time to stop claiming you are the victims of oppression.

Date: May 23, 2020 02:49PM

Haven't read any "right wing mainstream media" on his death. He wasn't much into politics. Perhaps you have some sources to the contrary.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: May 23, 2020 07:33PM

I think what Dave the Atheist is referring to is that right-wing Christian radio stations and networks (such as the American Family Association) have carried, and continue to carry, his speeches and sermons even until today. While Dr. Zacharias may have been a Christian moderate (I wouldn't know--I tend to tune him and his Protestant brethren out when I hear them), the stations and networks he was carried on (I've already mentioned one) were, and remain, very right-wing in terms of the kinds of ideology most of their ministers support.

I wonder if Dr. Zacharias will live beyond the grave as some of his predecessors do. I'm specifically thinking of J. Vernon McGee and his radio show, "Through The Bible," where he took a few Biblical verses in each show and analyzed and interpreted them for his listeners. Although Dr. Mc Gee died several years ago, you can still hear his shows in what can aptly be described as "in syndication," on many Christian radio stations and networks today.

Posted by: jay ( )
Date: May 23, 2020 09:03PM

Date: May 23, 2020 10:02PM

Is your point that Zacharais must be a right-wing political activist because McEnany likes him?

I guess that makes sense. After all, we know Martin Luther King was a Trump supporter because Trump praised him several weeks ago.

Date: May 23, 2020 10:27PM

My point is that right wing media is discussing him.

Other than that, I guess she checked at least two boxes for her boss.

And seeing the two of them during the interview break down where they can’t even make eye contact for a few seconds. This is the person who stands up to address the media every so often? And she’s been that deeply influenced by this evangelist? Scary

Date: May 23, 2020 10:47PM

So you don't have any evidence that would shed light on his political views.

Date: May 24, 2020 12:32AM

I’ve never heard of the guy. Until he died and the press secretary commented. I have no clue or interest in what his political views or religious views were.

Date: May 24, 2020 12:41AM

> I have no clue or
> interest in what his political views or religious
> views were.

So your link and subsequent comments were pointless?

Date: May 24, 2020 09:01AM

Kentish said: “Haven't read any "right wing mainstream media" on his death.”

I thought the clip I posted was right wing media on Zacharias’ death.

You disagree?

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: May 24, 2020 10:55AM

Did not look at the piece when posted. Went back and looked and apart from knowing the woman is Trump's press secretary know nothing of the interviewer. If you say he is "right wing mainstream media" I'll have to take your word for it.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: May 23, 2020 03:16PM

I heard this, kentish. My Baptist friend liked him very much.

It's too bad the drs couldn't help him. Cancer of the sacrum sounds awful (or any cancer, obviously).

And 70s these days isn't old.

His race is run. He helped a lot of people. That is a pretty good legacy.

Date: May 23, 2020 05:31PM

Did you know he was born in India and moved to Canada at a young age. He was a dual citizen of Canada and the US. I was in the audience in the Salt Lake Tabernacle when he spoke there about 15 or so years ago.

Date: May 23, 2020 06:09PM

Yes, I did read about his Canadian connection. I'm surprised he spoke in the Tab. What did you think of him?

Date: May 23, 2020 06:40PM

I thought his talk there was uncompromising. The audience was a mix of Mormons and the outside Christian community and I thought he pulled no punches in declaring the sufficiency of Christ alone for Christian salvation. He told a wonderful story to underline his premise. That talk can be found on You Tube as can many other talks and question and answer sessions to a wide range of audiences. I believe Christianity has lost its most eloquent and intellectual advocate.

Date: May 23, 2020 07:32PM

His bio states that he approached Cbristianity from historical, philosophical and morality perspectives. His organization is actively involved in many humanitarian activities.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2020 07:32PM by Nightingale.

Date: May 24, 2020 03:32AM

historical, philosophical and morality ... three things christinsanity doesn't have.

Date: May 24, 2020 04:10AM

That's the approach he was known for, different from others.

I understand that he wouldn't find a big fan base here. But he was well known in his sphere which may be why kentish is mentioning his passing.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: May 23, 2020 07:13PM

I've listened to him on the radio occasionally, I think he was on daily on i-heart-radio or something. He spoke very simply, not a lot of depth, but just like any other evangelical.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 23, 2020 07:18PM

Never heard of him..but I intentionally avoid or turn off religious programs or discussions

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 23, 2020 09:35PM

Look him up, Ron, if you ever decide to consider Christ and Christian doctrine. His motto was, "Let my people THINK!"

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 24, 2020 12:15AM

I probably won't.

Posted by: TopperToppington ( )
Date: May 23, 2020 09:21PM

Some may find this interesting:

https://youtu.be/EW2LZ4LbTHo

TopperToppington (it was a good day. I didn't sit on my testicles).

Posted by: Plaid n Paisley ( )
Date: May 24, 2020 02:14AM

"Famed apologist Ravi Zacharias has spent the past few weeks embroiled in a complex scandal in which he has had to defend himself from both accusations of inappropriate online conduct with a woman and questions about the authenticity of his credentials."
https://relevantmagazine.com/current/ravi-zacharias-responds-to-sexting-scandal/

http://raviwatch.com

"For years Mr. Zacharias claimed to be a “professor at Oxford.” He made the claim in speeches to fans and donors and at his website. On August 22, 2018, Mr. Zacharias was forced to admit that he had never been a professor at Oxford.

For years Mr. Zacharias claimed to be “an official lecturer” at Oxford. In September of 2016, the University of Oxford stated in writing that Mr. Zacharias has never been an employee of the University.

For years Mr. Zacharias claimed in his author bios to be “Cambridge educated.” In August of 2018 Mr. Zacharias admitted that he had never enrolled at the University of Cambridge. He based his “Cambridge educated” claim on merely having observed lectures at the University of Cambridge for 2 – 3 months in 1990, when he was in his mid-40s.

For years Mr. Zacharias has claimed that he studied “quantum physics” at the University of Cambridge under the renowned physicist, Dr. John Polkinghorne. The University, however, has confirmed that Dr. Polkinghorne only taught Buddhism and The Science/Religion Dialogue during the term Mr. Zacharias attended lectures at the University. Mr. Zacharias observed science/religion dialogue lectures and converted this to the claim that he studied quantum physics “under” Dr. Polkinghorne, a claim he makes widely in his public lectures."

Date: May 24, 2020 02:25AM

Hah! Thanks for that.

You can't make this stuff up. A couple of days ago Jane Roe confesses that her conversion from pro-choice to pro-life was a charade, motivate by money provided by the religious right. Now we have another prominent Christian conservative exposed as a charlatan.

Someone should inform the White House press spokeswoman, Ms. McEnany, that she and her family have been duped yet again. The tears over Zacharias's death are not necessary. "Don't cry for me. . . "

Why is it that administration politics always seems to lead back to Argentina?

Posted by: Anonymous Muser ( )
Date: May 24, 2020 02:18AM

For anyone who may have missed it, Jack Van Impe croaked back in January. Another in a long line of rapture-obsessed hucksters who never got raptured. Bummer.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.